Hello from the wilds

Old January 7th, 2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

Default Hello from the wilds

"Danni" wrote in message
. ..

"JP" wrote in message
Sorry danni. You caught me having a weak moment. I should have
reconsidered
my post before hitting send.

You seem to be having a lot of those lately.

yes. A bad habit and hard to break.

JP

Old January 7th, 2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
greatviz[_1_]

Philip and Heather Johnson wrote:
Hiya,

Thanks! I did a little research on the Lamanai site in a couple of books I
have. I hadn't realized that it has been excavated to the extent it has.
Lamanai was a trading center from about 300BC until well after the Spanish
arrived. Quite impressive. I understand the surrounding lowlands conceal
many more ruins. Well, that seals it. Now I have to figure out the best way
to see it. Carnival doesn't list it as a excursion. At least that I could
see. What's the best way to line up a trip at the docks? I'll try to find
something on the net.

The link George gives is the same place I was looking at but reluctant
to reference since I had not used them myself. We used a Royal
Caribbean excursion to see Lamanai. There are reports of manatees in
the New River, there is bird life, crocs, and we saw an africanized bee
hive too. Interestingly, we passed by an Amish farm as well, something
I hadn't anticipated as being in Belize for some reason. We had a
memorable trip, I hope it is the same for you.

My wife and I are certified divers but haven't logged a dive in a few years
so I'm not sure if they would let us go. I'm still undecided on whether to
bring the mask, fins and snorkels along. Pain in the ass to lug around. In
every picture we have I have the ubiquitous net bag slung over my shoulder
schlepping up some trail or street. :)

I think they want a dive within the last 2 years to go on the Turneffe
trip. We know one other couple who did this trip within a year of when
we did ours and their feeling about it was the same as ours - not worth
it. Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Bonaire offer better dives for less $$$
IMO. We brought all of our own gear, except for our BCD's, on our
cruise last month and we hear you about the schlepping part. OTOH, our
shore dive off Grand Cayman only cost us tanks & weights and we were
free to dive our own plan so it was well worth it to us. Next cruise
into Belize we hope to scope out San Pedro for a possible land based
dive trip, but we are still thinking about doing a southern caribbean
cruise instead, hitting up some of the ABC islands for a change of pace.

Thanks again,
Phil

Old January 7th, 2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Hello from the wild Legend

That's the problem with ship names...

Which Legend?

Legend of the Seas

Carnival Legend

or just the Wild Legend. You would think with all the names available
the cruise lines could be a little more original.

I have often heard a passenger ask the taxi to take him back to the
sdfgh ship,
when there was 2 sdfgh ships in port.

Most passengers don't know the name of their ship or the cruise line
they are on.

I have a travel agent friend who is on a cruise now and he didn't know
the name of te ship he was going on or the ports when he told me he was
cruising!

I guess thats the benefit of carfree cruising, it's a no brainer!

Inspector Gadget

Old January 7th, 2007, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"greatviz" wrote

The link George gives is the same place I was looking at but reluctant to
reference since I had not used them myself. We used a Royal Caribbean
excursion to see Lamanai. There are reports of manatees in the New River,
there is bird life, crocs, and we saw an africanized bee hive too.
Interestingly, we passed by an Amish farm as well, something I hadn't
anticipated as being in Belize for some reason.

Just a minor correction but the people you saw were Mennonites, not Amish.
Take a look at http://www.northernbelize.com/cult_mennonite.html We were
told that the Mennonites account for almost 80% of the dairy production in
Belize but I don't know how true that is. It was fascinating to see them
there.

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

April 29, 2007 GGC2007 http://cruisemaster.com/pride.htm
October 14, 2007 MOAGC 3 - http://www.moagc-3.com
January 20, 2008 - Adventure - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm

Old January 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Philip and Heather Johnson

Hi George,
Thanks, I checked out the site and looks like a pretty good outfit. I
always worry about making it back to the ship in time:) There has been
more than one occation that I was running to catch the tender. But since
this is the last port I won't miss too much... just the few hundred to make
it back to the USA. G

Phil...

http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.co...nai_Belize.htm

Old January 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Philip and Heather Johnson

Sorry JP, should have been a bit more erudite.
Lamanai is a Maya ruin in Belize. (see thread below) but isn't everything
within 100 nautical mile of a cruise ship a tourist trap? g
Phil

Well phillip, although my expertise with cruises would leave most people
speechless, shall we begin by telling me the location of LAMANAI. Also,
what
is it? A tourist trap or some scenic port?

JP...if dickie doo from cherry hill knows anything, he is welcome to help
out.

Old January 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Philip and Heather Johnson

Got ya,
I should have know better. It's the same thing with Botanicals, people ask
for a plant by its common name not realizing that there could be a number of
different flowers called the same thing.
We're on the Carnival Legend incidently. (legenus carnivalus)

Phil...

Old January 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

"Capt Mary Kidd" wrote in message
The message
from "Philip and Heather Johnson" contains
these words:

Sorry JP, should have been a bit more erudite.
Lamanai is a Maya ruin in Belize. (see thread below) but isn't

everything
within 100 nautical mile of a cruise ship a tourist trap? g

Like others we have done the Lamanai trip, but back in 2002 with NCL. It
was a great day out. Here is what I had to say then
http://www.magwa.co.uk/nsun/belize.htm
and photos
http://www.travelserver.net/travelpa....asp?Ad_ID=286

--
Pam

Captain mary Kidd??????
Pam?????????????????

Captain of what?
I believe your suppose to salute the flag and say "permission to come aboard
sir!", if you are of a military rank. Admiral Dick G. of the USS Cherry Hill
is the commanding officer.
You may pose your boarding request to him at
I'm sure he will say "come aboard", since you are a female. He says his ship
operates better with an all female crew. Good luck.

JP...booking agent for Admiral dickie doo.

Old January 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Danni

"JP" wrote in message
Captain of what?
I believe your suppose to salute the flag and say "permission to come
aboard
sir!", if you are of a military rank. Admiral Dick G. of the USS Cherry
Hill
is the commanding officer.
You may pose your boarding request to him at

I'm sure he will say "come aboard", since you are a female. He says his
ship
operates better with an all female crew. Good luck.

JP...booking agent for Admiral dickie doo.

Another one of those notes you should have thought twice about, John?

Troll.....be gone.

Old January 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

"Danni" wrote in message

"JP" wrote in message
Captain of what?
I believe your suppose to salute the flag and say "permission to come
aboard
sir!", if you are of a military rank. Admiral Dick G. of the USS Cherry
Hill
is the commanding officer.
You may pose your boarding request to him at

I'm sure he will say "come aboard", since you are a female. He says his
ship
operates better with an all female crew. Good luck.

JP...booking agent for Admiral dickie doo.

Another one of those notes you should have thought twice about, John?

Troll.....be gone.

Anyone would know that was a joke. I'd be surprised if Dick wouldn't have a
laugh, if he read my post. Geeschhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....no sense of humor
danni?
Lighten up a little. Don't takes things so seriously.

JP