Checked baggage - what comes off first

Old October 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Mike Cordelli

Default Checked baggage - what comes off first

It depends on the airline, on some the Priority tag is supposed to be used
for Business, first, and their tip tier frequent flyers, to get the bags on
the belt first. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
.. .
Sjoerd wrote:

"Howard Long" schreef in bericht

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
.com...
I've checked in early, late, and everything in between, and never
noticed a real difference in when the bags came out.

I must admit that I concur with your findings.

Me too. The process seems to be completely random. "Priority" tags and
stickers also don't seem to make a difference. Sjoerd

In my experience the "Priority" tags are usually used to expedite
transfers for close connections. The should affect the transfer time
but not the time to deliver for pickup.

FFM

Old October 5th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Dave Proctor

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 12:11:58 +0200, "Sjoerd"
wrote:

"Howard Long" schreef in bericht
"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
om...
I've checked in early, late, and everything in between, and never

noticed
real difference in when the bags came out.

I must admit that I concur with your findings.

Me too. The process seems to be completely random. "Priority" tags and
stickers also don't seem to make a difference.

I have found the opposite - my bags come off pretty quick with
priority tags, at least on oneworld carriers.

Dave
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Howard Long

"Dick Locke" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:41:53 +0000 (UTC), "Howard Long"
wrote:

This does work sometimes, but in my
experience there are so many other factors to be taken into consideration
it's still luck of the draw.

I'm convinced that priority tags create some kind of populist response
in UA's baggage handlers that causes them to put them on the arrival
belt last.

Yes, I agree, but I was trying to be diplomatic ;-)

Howard

Old October 5th, 2003, 08:14 PM
BFSON

Then there's Hawaiian. They tag your bags with a first class sticker but do
nothing special with it either in off loading or delivery. When I asked why
they bothered to tag the bags if they didn't give them special treatment, all I
got was a corporate shrug. Go figure.
Old October 6th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Dave Proctor

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:17:55 +1000, Craig Welch
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 04:55:04 +1000, Dave Proctor
wrote:

Me too. The process seems to be completely random. "Priority" tags and
stickers also don't seem to make a difference.

I have found the opposite - my bags come off pretty quick with
priority tags, at least on oneworld carriers.

Sure. But surely you, like me, have from time to time stood there
until your bag is the *very last* to arrive, resplendent in all of
its 'priority' stickers?

Actually I haven't. I waited forever last week, but there were no
priority tags, since I distracted the check in droid about how good
the new Qantas uniform looked on her. Have to say that every time I
have had a priority tag my bags have arrived before those without
priority tags.

Dave
Old October 8th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Greg Johnson

I always thought that the very last bag put on the aircraft would be the
first taken off...and placed on the bottom of the baggage cart where it
is then buried under all the other baggage and eventually gets put on
the carousel last. On the other hand, the first bag put on the plane
would be dug out last, go on the top of the cart pile and hit the
carousel first.

If there is more than one cart in the train, as is usually the case,
none of the above applies.

Old October 9th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Duncan McNiven

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:13:25 +0300, Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:

Are first class, or business class, passengers' bags put in so,
that they're the first out of the plane? Do they get that kind of
special treatment?

This week I flew the same route as last week, except business class out, economy back, but
last week was economy out, business class back. Last week my bag was first of the carousel
when marked with it's business class priority tag, this week it was the 103rd (yes, I
counted) - but first 'priority' bag. Both occasions when flying economy, my bag was
somewhere around 70th off the plane. Seems a

--
Duncan
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Not the Karl Orff

wrote:

Are first class, or business class, passengers' bags put in so,
that they're the first out of the plane? Do they get that kind of
special treatment?

This week I flew the same route as last week, except business class out,
economy back, but
last week was economy out, business class back. Last week my bag was first of
the carousel
when marked with it's business class priority tag, this week it was the 103rd
(yes, I
counted) - but first 'priority' bag. Both occasions when flying economy, my
bag was
somewhere around 70th off the plane. Seems a

which airline, and starting from and ending at which airports?
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:26 PM
jcoulter

"Howard Long" wrote in
:

A BBC TV program called Gate 24 tonight showed a non-scientific test
demonstrating the best time to check baggage to come off the plane
first by checking three bags: one at checkout opening, one about half
way, and a third at flight closure.

Basically it was last bag in, first bag out on the 737-700 from AMS to
STN (Amsterdam to London Stansted). So check in last if you want to
get your baggage off first.

Of course, many other factors should be taken into consideration such
as larger longhaul planes using cargo containers for baggage will add
an additional factor.

Personally, although interesting, I am convinced that whatever class
you travel, and whenever you check in, your own bag always seems to be
the last off the plane. ;-)

Kind Regards, Howard

There are bags put on last for special reasons, those who were standing
by to be bumped, pax on tight connections are the main ones, those bags
are going to get out quickly. My bags actually made it to AMS with me
through MSP when I had a total of 15 minutes off plane to push back. We
ran to catch the plane I suspect the bags were flying in a golf cart all
by themselves
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Duncan McNiven

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:15:34 GMT, Not the Karl Orff wrote:

which airline, and starting from and ending at which airports?

Iberia, Heathrow - Santiago de Comostela (spelling?)

--
Duncan