American Airlines

Old October 9th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default American Airlines

me wrote:
Every single time I've looked up fares, WN has not been the cheapest.
If you book in advance, you'll almost always find cheaper fares. There
are some cheap fares on WN, but I never seem to get them (maybe I don't
book THAT far in advance). I'm sure there are city pairs that they
are more competetive on too that I don't ever search.

From DC to Manchester, NH, Southwest's non-stop is quite often the cheapest,
and if not, the alternatives are $20 cheaper and involve prop segments to
Honolulu and 5-hour layovers.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
me wrote:

Every single time I've looked up fares, WN has not been the cheapest.
If you book in advance, you'll almost always find cheaper fares. There
are some cheap fares on WN, but I never seem to get them (maybe I don't
book THAT far in advance). I'm sure there are city pairs that they
are more competetive on too that I don't ever search.

OAK to LAX, $29 each way. No roundtrip purchase required, flights every
hour throughout the day, every 30 minutes in the mornings and evenings.
Can't really beat that. Even last-minute full-price refundable fares
are reasonable at $96 a pop.

Old October 10th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Jeffrey Hacker

I disagree with the previous poster who suggested looking at discount
airlines - particularly Southwest, on this itinerary. New York to Cleveland
would be a problem, with Southwest, because they serve Islip; Dallas Fort
Worth is a problem because of the Wright Amendment, and Austin or Dallas to
Seattle will require too many stops with Southwest. NYC-CLE-AUS-SEA seems
to fit Continental's route system best, since they fly nonstop or one-stop
on all segments, and they also serve the UK. They aren't that great on
legroom, but as for inflight service, they are adequate - including offering
basically the only economy class meal service of any kind on most of their
domestic routes.

Jeff

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in message
"Epona" wrote:

Would this be the best airline to use for travelling between UK and US?

An
initial check on prices appear very competitive but I don't know if there
are any better deals/airlines to use for the US domestic flights.

Assuming fares and frequent flyer benefits are roughly the same, AA has

the
advantage of extended legroom (More Room Throughout Coach) when compared

to all
the other airlines that serve the Atlantic routes. BA and United have

additional
room in some coach seats, but generally charge several hundred dollars

more for
those seats. The extra space makes a difference, especially if you are

average
height or taller.

I'm looking to travel next February spending several days in each of New
York City NY, Cleveland OH, Austin TX (although Dallas/Fort Worth would

be
fine too) and Seattle WA.

Any recommendations of (cheapest) airlines and possible order of route

would
be great

You might want to consider using AA for the long haul legs and discount

airlines
for domestic travel. Southwest (similar to EasyJet) serves most of your

cities
and comes to mind. As with EasyJet, some discount airlines do not use the

same
airports as the mainline airlines, so you must factor in how you would

make the
connections work.

Old October 10th, 2003, 06:26 AM
mrtravel

Miguel Cruz wrote:

me wrote:

Every single time I've looked up fares, WN has not been the cheapest.
If you book in advance, you'll almost always find cheaper fares. There
are some cheap fares on WN, but I never seem to get them (maybe I don't
book THAT far in advance). I'm sure there are city pairs that they
are more competetive on too that I don't ever search.

From DC to Manchester, NH, Southwest's non-stop is quite often the cheapest,
and if not, the alternatives are $20 cheaper and involve prop segments to
Honolulu and 5-hour layovers.

I am confused. What does WN have to do with prop segments to HNL?

Old October 10th, 2003, 06:36 AM
mrtravel

Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:

OAK to LAX, $29 each way. No roundtrip purchase required, flights every
hour throughout the day, every 30 minutes in the mornings and evenings.
Can't really beat that. Even last-minute full-price refundable fares
are reasonable at $96 a pop.

Nope.... The lowest one way fare is now $96
The lowest adv purchase fare is $60 each way, round trip required.

When did you go for $29?

I know they got rid of the cheap one way tickets from SJC-SNA a while
ago. It looks like they no longer exist on OAK-LAX either.

Old October 10th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Miguel Cruz

mrtravel wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
me wrote:
Every single time I've looked up fares, WN has not been the cheapest. If
you book in advance, you'll almost always find cheaper fares. There are
some cheap fares on WN, but I never seem to get them (maybe I don't book
THAT far in advance). I'm sure there are city pairs that they are more
competetive on too that I don't ever search.

From DC to Manchester, NH, Southwest's non-stop is quite often the cheapest,
and if not, the alternatives are $20 cheaper and involve prop segments to
Honolulu and 5-hour layovers.

I am confused. What does WN have to do with prop segments to HNL?

It allows you to avoid them.

I was exaggerating about HNL; more likely PHL, PIT, EWR, etc.

Old October 10th, 2003, 07:42 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

OAK to LAX, $29 each way. No roundtrip purchase required, flights every
hour throughout the day, every 30 minutes in the mornings and evenings.
Can't really beat that. Even last-minute full-price refundable fares
are reasonable at $96 a pop.

Nope.... The lowest one way fare is now $96
The lowest adv purchase fare is $60 each way, round trip required.

Eh? I just picked two random dates in December on www.southwest.com
(Dec 2 and Dec 10) and priced OAK-LAX-OAK. $29 each way, $78 total
after $20 in taxes, PFC and security fees.

It's true that they don't seem to sell them one-way anymore. I paid
$29+taxes for one-way OAK-LAX and LAX-OAK tix 3 or 4 times last summer,
so I fully expect $29 one-way fares to come back when WN runs their
next promotion, which they do regularly now that JetBlue is also in
the market (sort of).

When did you go for $29?

Last week. Why?

It looks like they no longer exist on OAK-LAX either.

Go to www.southwest.com and see for yourself.

Old October 10th, 2003, 08:10 AM
mrtravel

Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:

In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

OAK to LAX, $29 each way. No roundtrip purchase required, flights every
hour throughout the day, every 30 minutes in the mornings and evenings.
Can't really beat that. Even last-minute full-price refundable fares
are reasonable at $96 a pop.

Nope.... The lowest one way fare is now $96
The lowest adv purchase fare is $60 each way, round trip required.

Eh? I just picked two random dates in December on www.southwest.com
(Dec 2 and Dec 10) and priced OAK-LAX-OAK. $29 each way, $78 total
after $20 in taxes, PFC and security fees.

Now, try it without a Saturday night stay..
That is a big difference because originally you said roundtrip was not
required, so I didn't look at Satuday stayovers. Without a Sat stay,
roundtrip is $140 with fees ($60 base fare each way)

Old October 10th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

Eh? I just picked two random dates in December on www.southwest.com
(Dec 2 and Dec 10) and priced OAK-LAX-OAK. $29 each way, $78 total
after $20 in taxes, PFC and security fees.

Now, try it without a Saturday night stay..

Ok, I tried it OAK-LAX on Dec 10 (Wednesday), LAX-OAK on Dec 11
(Thursday). $29 each way, $78 total after $20 in taxes, etc.

What's your point again?

That is a big difference because originally you said roundtrip was not
required, so I didn't look at Satuday stayovers. Without a Sat stay,
roundtrip is $140 with fees ($60 base fare each way)

$29 fares do not require Saturday-night stay. They do seem to require
roundtrip at the moment, but Southwest runs very frequent promotions
specifically on OAK-LAX, and then you can buy them one-way only.

Old October 10th, 2003, 08:54 AM
mrtravel

Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:

Now, try it without a Saturday night stay..

Ok, I tried it OAK-LAX on Dec 10 (Wednesday), LAX-OAK on Dec 11
(Thursday). $29 each way, $78 total after $20 in taxes, etc.

What's your point again?

This is odd. I don't know why I kept getting $60 each way