food restrictions into USA

Old September 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
wasted

Default food restrictions into USA

Greetings

We're travelling to the USA soon and just can't find definitive answers on
what we can take - we would like to take (don't ask why!) some jars of mince
meat (as used in making mince pies) and some Yorkshire pudding mix packs
(basically flour with additives). Can anyone asy if this is OK?

Cheers

Old September 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

wasted wrote on Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:25:15 +0100:

w We're travelling to the USA soon and just can't find
w definitive answers on what we can take - we would like to
w take (don't ask why!) some jars of mince meat (as used in
w making mince pies) and some Yorkshire pudding mix packs
w (basically flour with additives). Can anyone asy if this is
w OK?

I seem to remember that raw meats and vegetables are out. Some
states like CA may be even more restrictive. On one trip from
Bergen, Norway we met a Norwegian ski instructor who told us he
was bringing in a side of smoked mutton. I recall seeing him
arguing vehemently with the inspectors in New York. I actually
ran into him later and he told me that he had won the argument!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old September 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

wasted wrote:
Greetings

We're travelling to the USA soon and just can't find definitive
answers on what we can take - we would like to take (don't ask why!)
some jars of mince meat (as used in making mince pies) and some
Yorkshire pudding mix packs (basically flour with additives). Can
anyone asy if this is OK?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/cl..._prod_inus.xml

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old September 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Bert wrote on 05 Sep 2007 17:35:53 GMT:

?? We're travelling to the USA soon and just can't find
?? definitive answers on what we can take - we would like to
?? take (don't ask why!) some jars of mince meat (as used in
?? making mince pies) and some Yorkshire pudding mix packs
?? (basically flour with additives). Can anyone asy if this
?? is OK?

BH "What food can I bring into the U.S. (fruit, cheese, meat,
BH etc)?"

BH http://preview.tinyurl.com/2lhaca

That must be a near record for Tinyurl compression! I can get
more or less there with

http://help.cbp.gov/

Old September 6th, 2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 18:25:15 +0100, "wasted" wrote:

Greetings

We're travelling to the USA soon and just can't find definitive answers on
what we can take - we would like to take (don't ask why!) some jars of mince
meat (as used in making mince pies) and some Yorkshire pudding mix packs
(basically flour with additives). Can anyone asy if this is OK?

Since we can buy both those items here in British shops, they should be no
problem. Our customs only cares about raw and farm products, produce, and
plants.

They certainly don;t seem to care about the wheels of raw milk Dutch cheese I
carry in, either... 8

-- Larry
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
B Vaughan

wrote:

Greetings

We're travelling to the USA soon and just can't find definitive answers on
what we can take - we would like to take (don't ask why!) some jars of mince
meat (as used in making mince pies) and some Yorkshire pudding mix packs
(basically flour with additives). Can anyone asy if this is OK?

The last I heard, you could take home made baked goods if they were
intended for personal consumption and not for sale. Minced meat seems
to me to fall in that category. I don't think there is any prohibition
on processed food items, as long as they are not fresh (rather than
aged) cheese nor uncooked meat.

You absolutely cannot take any fresh fruits or vegetables or other
plant matter into the US.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

"Mincemeat" is *not* the same as "Minced Meat".
http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-s...eat,67,AR.html

Old September 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

just stick it inside a bale of marijuana, you will be all set....

customs never seems to find that stuff....

Chuck