Beautiful Nature - free

Old October 7th, 2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

Default Beautiful Nature - free

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 01:15:11 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:

Careless reading, Alan? Or trying to imply I wrote something I
didn't. :-)

Yep, careless reading. Happens to me whenever a post is more
than a few succinct paragraphs...obviously I have a short
attention span.

I suspect I'm not alone in that.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old October 7th, 2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

wrote:

Careless reading, Alan? Or trying to imply I wrote something I
didn't. :-)

Yep, careless reading. Happens to me whenever a post is more
than a few succinct paragraphs...obviously I have a short
attention span.

Do you mean that instead of sending my usual posts I should
create a new post for each change of subject? Or divide a post
into chapters & provide an index? :-)

I have been tempted to number each line to discourage snipping,
or at least make snipping obvious.

I suspect I'm not alone in that.

Oh, by no means! When watching commercial T.V., my brain
automatically filters out all commercials, and switches to more
productive activity. I define this as any other activity more
productive than watching a commercial. Heading for the loo,
or yawning, scratching, watching the cat, and so on.

It can occasionally become embarrassing when my wife
comments on a commercial that I have mentally
"switched off".

When online, usually have the F.M. radio on in the
background. Ignore most of it, but if they interrupt
for a news bulletin, or mention something interesting, will
switch my attention.

Nothing particularly unusual in this. A common example
in psychology is a mother with a new baby. She is usually
short of sleep, so can ignore traffic and other city noises and
sleep deeply.

Yet if the baby emits a soft low cry or even a whimper she
almost instantly awakens. I have been told that the
father seldom does.

With a little experience, drivers of heavy trucks or
equipment operators can talk in fairly normal levels, as
their brain learns how to filter out the much louder
sound of the engine. Alternatively, if the truck has two drivers
one can drive and the other sleep soundly despite the
noise.

It works the other way too. Say that person "X" moves to a
location next to a railway track where trains pass every hour on
the hour. They will soon learn to not let the trains disturb
their sleep.

However, should the trains stop running, or even if one
is several minutes late, odds are they will "miss" the
accustomed noise and wake up.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Cheers,
Old October 7th, 2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

wrote:

Careless reading, Alan? Or trying to imply I wrote something I
didn't. :-)

Yep, careless reading. Happens to me whenever a post is more
than a few succinct paragraphs...obviously I have a short
attention span.

Do you mean that instead of sending my usual posts I should
create a new post for each change of subject?

Yes. Note that this was the limit of my reading for this
post:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old October 7th, 2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

wrote:

Careless reading, Alan? Or trying to imply I wrote something I
didn't. :-)

Yep, careless reading. Happens to me whenever a post is more
than a few succinct paragraphs...obviously I have a short
attention span.

Do you mean that instead of sending my usual posts I should
create a new post for each change of subject?

Yes. Note that this was the limit of my reading for this
post:-)

Don't know if I will, though, as extra trouble for me. If one of
the ones you don't read through contains information of use
to you, someone else may take the time to draw something
to your attention.

Of course, you could also hire someone to highlight the
important points, once you train them to think along
the your lines.

However, you would have to follow all current legislation
regarding working conditions, insurance, and so on.

With the new penalties for employing immigrants or visitors that
came in on 19 August 2007, you might want to see my last post
on that one, or download the large PDF file at
http://www.immi.gov.au/managing-aust...-penalties.pdf

or

http://tinyurl.com/ytvx4w

The new requirements can involve pretty drastic penalties, and
if anyone on the group does fall afoul of them, and is
imprisoned, will they please notify the group of their cell
number. Note "cell number" is not a short way to write
"cell phone number" :-).

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Cheers,
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
John H

Bloody hell this Kangaroo16 has verbal diarrhoea!
I killfiled him for two weeks and upon checking he is still wallowing along.
Oh well best keep the killfile in place for a few more months.
John H
"kangaroo16" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 09:51:44 +1000, Alan S
wrote in :

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 22:20:58 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:

I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order like it should be.

Why am I not surprised?

Careless reading, Alan? Or trying to imply I wrote something I
didn't. :-)

What I wrote was:

You worry about such trivia? You wouldn't be
obsessive/compulsive by any chance? If so, you might
want to consider using this tagline.:-)
I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
alphabetical order like it should be.
Don't believe me? Check:
If you could see my computer room, you could easily ascertain
that I am definitely not the obsessive/compulsive type, although
am sure that my wishes I leaned a bit more this way! Or a lot
more, actually! :-)

Sorry to hear that. Possibly you could start becoming
obsessive over brevity?

One of the last things I would consider, actually. You may have
noticed that many posts on this group are actually too short,
especially when someone is requesting information and
doesn't provide enough details.

Have you considered that you may be using the unconscious
psychological defense mechanism of projection? See under
http://www.rpi.edu/~verwyc/defmech.htm

This will explain the other mechanisms as well, and in
especially selected easy-to-read type.:-)

If need something to amuse you, check following opinion columns
in the Weekend Australian.

For girls stuck in pimply purgatory
Emma Tom | October 04, 2007
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23375,00.html

And, of course, Susan Maushart, another Yank
migrant to Oz.

Do a load for feminism
OPINION: Susan Maushart | October 06, 2007
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-17063,00.html

Seriously, Alan, why do you seem to worry so much about saving
space? It isn't as if we communicating by telex at 40 baud!:-)

Or, like so many other computer users, a two-fingered typist? It
always amazes me why more people don't learn touch-typing. It is
much easier, and saves a lot of time.

If anyone wants to learn, I personally recommend a program called
"Typequick".
http://www.typequick.com.au/

Or you could take a typing course at your nearest TAFE.

I haven't checked my speed lately, probably if copying text from
a book, around 50 to 55 WPM.

Once learn to touch type, such copying is strictly in the eyes
and out the fingers, while you are listening to music or thinking
about something else.

It could be compared to learning to ride a bicycle or drive a
car. Once you have learned it, you don't have to concentrate on
it.

I hope this little hint might be useful to you and others!

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Cheers

Old October 8th, 2007, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:36:31 +0930, "John H"
wrote in
:

Bloody hell this Kangaroo16 has verbal diarrhoea!

In the estimation of some, I suppose. Fortunately, it is not
accompanied by constipation of the brain. :-)

Not really long compared to the long unsnipped posts found
on some other groups.

I killfiled him for two weeks and upon checking he is still wallowing along.

I suggested this some time ago as a simple solution for people
who dislike my posts. Nice to know that someone has taken my
suggestion! :-)

Oh well best keep the killfile in place for a few more months.

Seems sensible to me! I don't mind if people killfile me. I
make information available, up to others whether they
read it or not.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

[remainder snipped]