Eurail Selectpass: crossing a country not in Selectpass choice of countries

Old March 20th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Helmy

Default Eurail Selectpass: crossing a country not in Selectpass choice of countries

I am interested to purchase Selectpass (3 Countries) covering France, Italy
and Germany. I have a question regarding crossing Italy to Germany through
Austria. My planned route requires me to travel from Venice to Munich. This
requires passing through Austria. Is it allowed in Selectpass?

Thank you.

Regards,
emy

Old March 20th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Lennart Petersen

"Helmy" skrev i meddelandet
I am interested to purchase Selectpass (3 Countries) covering France,

Italy
and Germany. I have a question regarding crossing Italy to Germany through
Austria. My planned route requires me to travel from Venice to Munich.

This
requires passing through Austria. Is it allowed in Selectpass?

That means your ticket is valid up to the Austrian border and then again
from the German border.
You've to buy a separate ticket to cover the Austrian portion.
As the Austrian distance is rather short it's not very expensive.
The most likely route is Brennero-Innsbruck- Kufstein-(Munich)
but the shortest route is Brennero-Innsbruck-Mittenwald-(Munich), the
latter have slower trains but is real scenic so if you've the time I would
recommend it.
For time schedules try http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Old March 20th, 2004, 06:02 PM
tim

"Lennart Petersen" wrote in message

"Helmy" skrev i meddelandet
I am interested to purchase Selectpass (3 Countries) covering France,

Italy
and Germany. I have a question regarding crossing Italy to Germany

through
Austria. My planned route requires me to travel from Venice to Munich.

This
requires passing through Austria. Is it allowed in Selectpass?

That means your ticket is valid up to the Austrian border and then again
from the German border.
You've to buy a separate ticket to cover the Austrian portion.
As the Austrian distance is rather short it's not very expensive.
The most likely route is Brennero-Innsbruck- Kufstein-(Munich)
but the shortest route is Brennero-Innsbruck-Mittenwald-(Munich), the
latter have slower trains but is real scenic so if you've the time I would
recommend it.

My friend used to live in Bregenz.

He often commented upon how mercenary the Austrian guards
on the Muenchen-Zurich train were at charging transgressors
for the 10Km part of the journey on Austrian rails.

tim

For time schedules try http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Joseph Feng

"Helmy" wrote in message ...
I am interested to purchase Selectpass (3 Countries) covering France, Italy
and Germany. I have a question regarding crossing Italy to Germany through
Austria. My planned route requires me to travel from Venice to Munich. This
requires passing through Austria. Is it allowed in Selectpass?

Thank you.

Regards,
emy

If you can take an overnight train from Venezia to Munchen without
disembarking, there is no additional charge for passing through
Austria on your Selectpass. The way I read the timetable, the night
trains all stop near Salzburg, but I cannot tell if you stay on your
car while it gets attached to a different train(probably no additional
charge) or if you have to get off the first train and get onto the
second train(probably an additional charge).
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

If you can take an overnight train from Venezia to Munchen without
disembarking, there is no additional charge for passing through Austria on
your Selectpass.

Really? This would be great! Is there any confirmation of this on an
official website? I once did the overnight and bought an additional ticket
from the Italian border to the German border for the Austria portion. Was
this $29 down the drain???!?

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Lennart Petersen

"Douglas W. Hoyt" skrev i meddelandet
If you can take an overnight train from Venezia to Munchen without

disembarking, there is no additional charge for passing through Austria on
your Selectpass.

Really? This would be great! Is there any confirmation of this on an
official website? I once did the overnight and bought an additional

ticket
from the Italian border to the German border for the Austria portion.

Was
this $29 down the drain???!?

Don't think so. For what odd reason should Austrian Railways offer a free
ride just because it's a night train ? But that said it's not complete
unlikely that an inexperienced sleeper guard occasionally have accepted a
not so complete ticket.

Old March 25th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Joseph Feng

"Lennart Petersen" wrote in message ...
"Douglas W. Hoyt" skrev i meddelandet
If you can take an overnight train from Venezia to Munchen without

disembarking, there is no additional charge for passing through Austria on
your Selectpass.

Really? This would be great! Is there any confirmation of this on an
official website? I once did the overnight and bought an additional

ticket
from the Italian border to the German border for the Austria portion.

Was
this $29 down the drain???!?

Don't think so. For what odd reason should Austrian Railways offer a free
ride just because it's a night train ? But that said it's not complete
unlikely that an inexperienced sleeper guard occasionally have accepted a
not so complete ticket.

I wondered about that when I later realized that my overnight train
from Venezia S. Lucia to Paris Bercy had briefly passed through
Switzerland, and I had not been charged any additional fee(my
3-country SelectPass was for Benelux/France/Italy). I took this trip
in May 2002. After a little research, I found something in the
literature from RailEurope that said that the policy was not to charge
for just passing through on an overnight train. I don't remember
whether this was in the printed materials or on their web site.