Some Rental Cars Are Keeping Tabs on the Drivers

Old January 21st, 2004, 03:05 AM
Matthew Russotto

Default Some Rental Cars Are Keeping Tabs on the Drivers

In article ,
wrote:

I didn't notice that the subject and content of this discussion
shifted from rental vehicle to one's own personal vehicle!

Sorry about that; do try to keep up in the future.

--
Matthew T. Russotto
of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
Old January 21st, 2004, 02:39 PM
Arthur L. Rubin

DarkMatter wrote:

Insurance Know-It-Alls **** me off.

Especially when they're wrong.

--
This account is subject to a persistent MS Blaster and SWEN attack.
I think I've got the problem resolved, but, if you E-mail me
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Mike J

What was this worth for Payless?

How many people, like me, will never ever ever rent from Payless. Even if
they right about contract - $1/mile is way to excessive. My experience tells
me: Once a cheat - always a cheat. ( This rule is almost always accurate
when dealing with businesses ).

Few years ago I tested this rule on Providian: they got busted for assigning
"late fees".

Rule held 100%. They immediately tried to cheat on finance charges, assign
default privacyguard, etc. No thanks.

Now I have two companies on black list:

Rent-A-Car - attempted to charge for excess speed.

Payless - In-state scam.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:56 AM
Peter Lawrence

"Arthur L. Rubin" wrote in message ...

However, LEGALLY, the contract is binding regardless of whether specific
provisions are initialed or noticed, unless specifically altered by
law.

WRONG.

I'm not a lawyer, but the following is what I was taught in a Business
Law course I took in college that was taught by a law professor who
was (and still is) a practicing lawyer in the state of California.

In California, a written contract is not considered legally binding
unless it can be proven, to the satisfaction of the court (jury or
judge - depending on the type of trial), that all parties involved in
the contract had read AND UNDERSTOOD the contract before entering into
the contract.

Signing the contract isn't even necessary to have it enforce (but can
be used as evidence that all parties have agreed to the contract terms
and conditions).

That's why the best protection for avoiding being snared into a
contract with hidden clauses is NOT TO READ IT and, preferably, have
tangible evidence that you can present to the court that you didn't
read the contract, let alone understood it.

My business law professor repeatedly emphasized in the course I took
that this is the best protection an ordinary consumer has against this
type of nefarious contract.

- Peter
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:17 AM
Arthur L. Rubin

Peter Lawrence wrote:

"Arthur L. Rubin" wrote in message ...

However, LEGALLY, the contract is binding regardless of whether specific
provisions are initialed or noticed, unless specifically altered by
law.

WRONG.

Cite?

In California, a written contract is not considered legally binding
unless it can be proven, to the satisfaction of the court (jury or
judge - depending on the type of trial), that all parties involved in
the contract had read AND UNDERSTOOD the contract before entering into
the contract.

However, if one party has received a benefit from the contract
(rental of the car, in this case), he is bound by the contract,
regardless of whether he has read or understood it. (There are
some exceptions for mutual mistake, but THAT's the general rule
unless specifically overriden by law.)

I just don't buy it.
Old January 28th, 2004, 06:25 PM
The Lindbergh Baby

Arthur L. Rubin wrote:
TNSAF wrote:

I would hope the onus would be on the business to prove they gave the verbal
warning with a clearly marked disclaimer and the renters initials. This is
what all is done here when getting regular car insurance, the insurance
broker has to say "...and please initial here as proof I explained this too
you."

The article doesn't specify whether he DID initial by the location
restrictions, either.

However, LEGALLY, the contract is binding regardless of whether specific
provisions are initialed or noticed, unless specifically altered by
law.

That's not true, and that's why they ask you to initial it.

John

--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address