RCCL Mariner-Just booked 1st RCCL cruise

Old May 9th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Helen

Default RCCL Mariner-Just booked 1st RCCL cruise

Hello,
I just booked our 1st RCCL cruise today with a local TA. This is our 4th
cruise but only our 1st RCCL one (all others were Carnival). We wanted to
try out a different cruiseline and RCCL looked nice. We booked a Cat L on
the 9th deck, inside cabin. We're looking forward to a change from Carnival
as our last cruise wasn't that great with them.

Anybody been on the Mariner of the Seas? Did you like it or dislike it? Is
RCCL much better then Carnival in your opinion? I have heard good things
about them.

We can't wait and appreciate any suggestions on what to do in ports of Ocho
Rios.
It will be the 2 of us (hubby and me) and our 10 yr old daughter. We don't
know about Dunns Falls as I've heard it's treacherous and I don't know if
our daughter will be ok doing it. We love to snorkel...any good places for
that in Ocho Rios?

Thanks a bunch!

Old May 9th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Sonny

We were on the Mariner in February ( our 21 cruise with RCCL ). My wife and
I took our 10 year old Grand Daughter with us. I took her to Dunn's Falls
and she enjoyed it. My wife filmed us climbing most of the 600 foot climb up
the falls. While in Cozumel you may want to consider Chankanaab Park. You
can spend the day there for $10 per person and children are free. While in
Cayman Islands swimming with the stingrays in Stingray city is a must do.

Old May 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Helen

We were just in GC in March and swam with the stingrays thru Nativeways.
What we wanted was to do something different in GC this time. Cozumel we
did the ships tour (jeep tour) but hated the tender ride to playa del carmen
so we want to stay in Cozumel this time and chankannab park sounds
good...maybe the dolphin encounter this time. It's Ocho Rios we weren't
sure about.

Thanks for the ideas.

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:21 PM
DaFlaBear

You are sailing on their newest and (in my opinion) nicest ship.
We were on there in January.
The Windjammer buffet restarant was so good we never ate in the dining
room.
It has DUAL Sushi bars, a beautiful waterfall behind the bar, live
guitar music at dinner, table cloths for dinner, and an overall better
choice of food.
They have both a Champaign bar and a wine bar on board.
The entertainment was very good. Gary Lewis and the Playboys were the
entertainment one evening.
The ice show is spectacular, and they have open skating so you can skate
too.
The promanade parades are also great fun.
Carnival does not compare, although you will hear a few die hards on
here disagree.
You can decide for yourself.

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Sgt. Pete

Been on Mariner in Jan and me and DW had a blast as well as the kids (16,
11, 10, 8). All did Dunn's river falls without a problem. We much prefer
RCCL Voyager class (2 cruises+ Soverign) to Carnival (2 cruises). You and
yours will have a great time.

. ..

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Becca

Anybody been on the Mariner of the Seas? Did you like it or dislike
it? Is RCCL much better then Carnival in your opinion? I have
heard good things about them.

Helen, I cruised on the Mariner in March and I had a very good time.
What I enjoyed was their ice show at night, the mini golf and the
solarium pool, which is for adults only. I also enjoyed the promenade.

My husband did not think the food was as good as Carnival's but we had
no problem finding something to eat. Try eating lunch in the dining
room, their lunch buffet does not offer much. Their breakfast buffet
was very good, so was their buffet at night. If you have any questions
feel free to ask.

Becca -----I think you will love it...

Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Lee

"Helen" wrote in message ...
We don't
know about Dunns Falls as I've heard it's treacherous and I don't know if
our daughter will be ok doing it. We love to snorkel...any good places for
that in Ocho Rios?

I can't imagine your 10 year old daughter will have any problem with
Dunns River Falls unless she's not very adventurous or she's terribly
out of shape. I would think that climbing the falls would be a
highlight of the vacation for someone that age.

You have to have some kind of footwear to make the climb. Many folks
wear old sneakers or closed water shoes (mesh top, rubber bottom). I
wear Teva sandals (any brand of water sandals will do). I didn't have
to worry about the silt collecting in my shoes like the folks who were
wearing closed shoes did.

Save your snorkeling for Cozumel and GC.

Lee

Thanks a bunch!

Old May 15th, 2004, 01:41 AM
Peri

Lee wrote:
"Helen" wrote in message ...

We don't
know about Dunns Falls as I've heard it's treacherous and I don't know if
our daughter will be ok doing it. We love to snorkel...any good places for
that in Ocho Rios?

I can't imagine your 10 year old daughter will have any problem with
Dunns River Falls unless she's not very adventurous or she's terribly
out of shape. I would think that climbing the falls would be a
highlight of the vacation for someone that age.

We took our (at the time) just-turned-10 year old daughter and her 12 year old
brother this past August. He climbed like a monkey and had a great time. She,
a little less nimble, needed a bit more help, skinned her leg a bit, and still
had a great time ;-). Go!

~ Peri

Old May 16th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Helen

Thank you....I think we have decided it's a GO...she seems excited but now
we have to wait til Feb to do it!! Can't wait!