Callng from Bahamas

Old May 13th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Brown Eyes

Default Callng from Bahamas

Our cruise stops in Nassau and Freeport for a day. I would like to call
home then, are thee calling cards available thee to do this? Any info on
if they can be purchased there or should i bring one from home? Thanks
Lucy

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Mark

I'd bring them from home. Most of the calling cards support international
calls but depending on the location will consume 4 or more times the the
stated rate. For example, you'd get 4 minutes deducted for every minute you
use. Check the back of the calling card you purchase, if it supports
international calls it will have the international calling info on the back.

Mark

Old May 14th, 2004, 03:28 PM
its_my_dime

You can buy an att calling card at Sams for about $45 for 1000 units (I've
also seen them available on ebay)

It costs about 5 units/minute (about 25 cents) to call internationally.
However, there is also frequently a payphone supplement surcharge of up to
10 units.. The trick is to find a non pay phone, calling center, hotel lobby
or somewhere else where you can dial the att access number with no
surcharge.

Old May 14th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Lee

"Mark" wrote in message ...
I'd bring them from home. Most of the calling cards support international
calls but depending on the location will consume 4 or more times the the
stated rate. For example, you'd get 4 minutes deducted for every minute you
use. Check the back of the calling card you purchase, if it supports
international calls it will have the international calling info on the back.

I don't know why, but for some reason, a lot of the international
calling cards can't be used in the Bahamas. They seem to work from all
of the other islands, but the Bahamas are blacked out.

Before you buy the card, call the "800" help number that's on the
back, and ask, specifically, if the card can be used from the Bahamas
back to the U.S. If you can't make the call while you have the card in
your hand at the store, be sure to write down the serial number of the
card...they'll need that number to access the specific info for that
card type.

Lee

Mark

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Steve

Having recently returned from the bahamas, here is my observation on the
phone card queston. I also found my sprint phone card not useable from the
bahamas , although some companies insist their card can be used.

I found the easiest way was to purchase a local phone card ( bahamatel ) not
exactly the name but close. These cards are available almost everywhere in
the bahamas at numerous small stores. It certainly was no problem finding
one. They (like most phone cards) come in different $ amounts. Although
not all phones I ran into accepted all cards everyone I used accepted the
bahama tel card. The cost from the bahamas is somewhat expensive anyway
and I did not compare the cost per minute to cards purchased at US discount
card outlets. I figured the convenience and ease was probably wortha little
more.

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:56 AM
steve

i tryed calling from atlantis hotel with no luck. as there calling card
machines apparenty are always broke. i called though after buying card
near cable beach. it was 99 cents a minute to usa.