Anyone tried this?

Old April 21st, 2004, 07:31 AM
PTRAVEL

Default Anyone tried this?

In my unending search for ways to keep myself amused on long-haul
transoceanic flights, I'm going to try bring movies with me to play on my
computer, a Sony Vaio notebook.

WinDVD works extremely well on my laptop -- video quality is excellent (far
better than the dedicated portable DVD players, and with a larger screen,
too). WinDVD lets you tweak picture, and has different audio modes that
work very well with my Boss Quietcomfort noise cancellers.

A program called DV-Shrink will make a copy of any DVD and will fit it onto
a single DVD-/+R. This way I can take copies of my DVDs and not worry about
them getting beaten up and, after watching them, I can simply toss the copy.

Battery life is always a problem, but WinDVD lets you set rather aggressive
energy-saving modes. I'm also planning to pick up a small travel inverter
that works with airline power jacks. Unlike the regular computer power
supplies for airlines, this one puts out 110v, so I can plug in my computer
or any other device that needs in-flight charging.

It seems to me that this should work fairly well. Anybody else watching
movies on their computers?

Old April 21st, 2004, 09:39 AM
~~ Ray ~~

Here is another tip, you can take your own packed lunch too.

Dont worry your not the first.

But did you also know most airlines only allow one piece of hand lugagge ie
your laptop and nothing else in eco class also a weigh restriction. lets
assume a laptop weighs 5 kilos.

. com...

Old April 21st, 2004, 11:14 AM
Howard Long

It seems to me that this should work fairly well. Anybody else watching
movies on their computers?

All the time. I've used WinDVD for the past 2 1/2 years on my poor old
battered Toshiba Portege P4000. I use a Radio Shack Empower style adapter on
BA, VS, QF and DL, although some airlines (eg AA) are using 12V cigarette
lighter style outlets (my RS adapter includes a cigarette lighter adapter
too). I noticed Emirates supply a 110V US style outlet in their new A345 FC
cabins although mine wouldn't work.

Take care in Y class - even if the airline has outlets in Y, sometimes not
all seats have them.

Kind Regards, Howard

Old April 21st, 2004, 11:40 AM
Howard Long

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
i think having two extra battery packs takes care of any problems.

....agreed, as long as you remember to charge them up beforehand...

Kind Regards, Howard

Old April 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Miss L. Toe

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
i think having two extra battery packs takes care of any problems.

...agreed, as long as you remember to charge them up beforehand...

and the security people dont confiscate them - I thought I remembered a
limit on how many batteries you are allowed to carry.

Old April 21st, 2004, 12:29 PM
Mark Hewitt

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
news
Here is another tip, you can take your own packed lunch too.

Dont worry your not the first.

But did you also know most airlines only allow one piece of hand lugagge
ie
your laptop and nothing else in eco class also a weigh restriction. lets
assume a laptop weighs 5 kilos.

Well BA and UA certainly don't have that restriction.

Old April 21st, 2004, 12:46 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
news
Here is another tip, you can take your own packed lunch too.

Dont worry your not the first.

But did you also know most airlines only allow one piece of hand lugagge

ie
your laptop and nothing else in eco class also a weigh restriction.

lets
assume a laptop weighs 5 kilos.

Well BA and UA certainly don't have that restriction.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

BA (in economy) allow one piece of baggage 6Kg and NO separate laptop.

Old April 21st, 2004, 12:48 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in

message

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

BA (in economy) allow one piece of baggage 6Kg and NO separate laptop.

So was I just lucky 4 times in a row or have they changed it since last
year?

Old April 21st, 2004, 01:12 PM
freeda

Here is another tip, you can take your own packed lunch too.

Dont worry your not the first.

But did you also know most airlines only allow one piece of hand

lugagge
ie
your laptop and nothing else in eco class also a weigh restriction.

lets
assume a laptop weighs 5 kilos.

Well BA and UA certainly don't have that restriction.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

BA (in economy) allow one piece of baggage 6Kg and NO separate laptop.

Yes technically.
I usually travel with my 'Karrimor Airport Eco' bag, Usually with about 10Kg
in it, my laptop, about 5 Kg with all the bits and pieces, and a carrier bag
full of what ever I decided to buy because I am bored and 2 hour checkin's
are not really needed.
Never been asked to check luggage in ever since I decided to travel with
only hand baggage, mostly BA BMI and TAP, probably around 30 European
flights and 5 long hauls.