Motorbike in Australia

Old August 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Piers Croft

Default Motorbike in Australia

I'm visiting Australia in February next year and really want to spend my 5
weeks touring up the East Coast from Sydney to Cairns by motorbike but it is
very expensive to hire a bike for that long. Can anyone suggest an
alternative?

Old August 29th, 2004, 11:37 PM
David Bennetts

"Piers Croft" wrote in message
I'm visiting Australia in February next year and really want to spend my 5
weeks touring up the East Coast from Sydney to Cairns by motorbike but it

is
very expensive to hire a bike for that long. Can anyone suggest an
alternative?

Apart from buying one or stealing one, no. I can understand that renting
one would be expensive, as they get involved in a lot of accidents. That
isn't surprising given the way a lot of suicidal riders operate them (one
idiot drove past me between two lanes of stationary traffic at about 70 km/h
recently), that you've only got two wheels in contact with the road and
nothing to protect you if you fall off, whether or not it's your fault.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old August 29th, 2004, 11:39 PM
SteveS

Long way on a bike - also hot as that time of year (2,000+ KM). Get a car or
go by bus. There are backpackers buses that are cheap as with stopovers at
various interesting places.

SteveS

Old August 30th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Dave Milligan

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:37:42 +1000, "David Bennetts"
wrote:

I'm visiting Australia in February next year and really want to spend my 5
weeks touring up the East Coast from Sydney to Cairns by motorbike but it

is
very expensive to hire a bike for that long. Can anyone suggest an
alternative?

Apart from buying one or stealing one, no. I can understand that renting
one would be expensive, as they get involved in a lot of accidents. That
isn't surprising given the way a lot of suicidal riders operate them (one
idiot drove past me between two lanes of stationary traffic at about 70 km/h
recently), that you've only got two wheels in contact with the road and
nothing to protect you if you fall off, whether or not it's your fault.

Jeez David, you talk some crap.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan
Old August 30th, 2004, 03:10 AM
David Bennetts

Jeez David, you talk some crap.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan

Are you a biker? I think my comments are borne out by the accident rate - I
didn't say it was always the bikers fault.
I'd rather have four wheels on the road and a bit of protection around me.

Regards

David

Old August 30th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Nigel Marx

"Piers Croft" wrote in message
I'm visiting Australia in February next year and really want to spend my 5
weeks touring up the East Coast from Sydney to Cairns by motorbike but it

is
very expensive to hire a bike for that long. Can anyone suggest an
alternative?

have a look at this:
http://www.bikeshareworld.com/

Regards

Nigel in NZ

Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:27 AM
DJ

Hi Piers,

I had a look around for some motorcycle company who would rent a bike for
that distance, seems to me that some of them are a bit expensive and are
very restrictive in distance per day travelled.
eg.
http://www.austmcycleadventures.com/rentrate.htm

http://www.bikescape.com.au/rentals/...rice/price.htm

I was looking into renting a 250cc road bike for the sole purpose of getting
my licence and I found the only ones who rented bikes are those who sold
them. It was quite expensive really,to the point where i might be better off
buying an el cheapo for a while and selling it when i get off my L's.

This is what I may recommend that you do, buy a used road trail eg. Suzuki
DR600, Yamaha XT series or simmilar which will get you up to Cairns if in
good mech cond.Might cost you a few thousand but might be easier to sell if
a good size in good condition.

Otherwise, if you have a motorbike where you live, you might wanna ship it
over temporarily to do the trip, might be well worth comparing the cost.

Depending how long you have for your vacation, it might be cheaper and
easier to get a tour bus pass and go with the flow.

Cheers

DJ

Old September 9th, 2004, 07:56 AM
AC

There's no more idiots riding motorcycles than idiots driving cars. What's
more dangerous - someone on a bike doing 70ks between cars, or (one of the
many) idiots in a land cruisers tailgating, and driving using them as
extensions of their insecure personality?

One insurer recently upped premiums for bull bars - about bloody time...

Old September 20th, 2004, 06:06 PM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 06:56:56 GMT, "AC" wrote:

There's no more idiots riding motorcycles than idiots driving cars. What's
more dangerous - someone on a bike doing 70ks between cars, or (one of the
many) idiots in a land cruisers tailgating, and driving using them as
extensions of their insecure personality?

Oh you jealous brute you you you !!!