Perth..is it that BORE??

Old December 31st, 2004, 01:59 PM
Black Tractor

Default Perth..is it that BORE??

Hi...

No mean to offer those live there but that was what l heard about Perth..

Surely... Perth got something to offer in term of sight-seeing, shopping and
etc..

hope l'm wrong ...any comment?

BT

Old December 31st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Jimbo

Excellent place and as a tourist lots t see .
Why not "google" and see what is around.
Who the hell told you it was boring?
Some dickhead who spent all day in the local bar or what?
Jimbo

--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake

Old December 31st, 2004, 03:57 PM
Peter Webb

"Black Tractor" wrote in message
Hi...

No mean to offer those live there but that was what l heard about Perth..

Surely... Perth got something to offer in term of sight-seeing, shopping
and
etc..

hope l'm wrong ...any comment?

BT

It is, according to locals, a very nice place to live.

The city itself has little sight seeing (Kings Park?) and no particular
shopping.

Nearby there are Rottnest Island, Bunbury, Margaret River and generally the
SW corner of Australia - all nice, but a long way from everywhere else.

The drive a few thousand kilometers up the coast is said to be fantastic,
though I have never done it.

Old December 31st, 2004, 04:39 PM
Petra

"Black Tractor" wrote in
:

Hi...

No mean to offer those live there but that was what l heard about
Perth..

Surely... Perth got something to offer in term of sight-seeing,
shopping and etc..

hope l'm wrong ...any comment?

BT

We spent a lovely week in Perth, wonderful weather (last March), and
enjoyed the city very much. Lots smaller than the 'other' cities, it's
still worth visiting I think.

Old December 31st, 2004, 11:22 PM
Ross

What about the Swan Valley? One of the best wine regions in Oz.

Ross

Old January 4th, 2005, 08:22 AM
GTRad

It's a small city, so perhaps to jaded big-city dwellers it's boring.
It's not a 24 hours a day place. Don't expect New York City or London
here.

Shopping - in the city we have Hay St. and Murray St. malls - closed to
vehicle traffic, shops lining both sides of both streets with more in
arcades that join the two parallel streets. And a couple of big
department stores - Myer and David Jones. But then I wouldn't come to
Perth for shopping. It's alright, does the job, but if you're a mad
shopaholic, go to LA, NY, London, Paris, Rome, Singapore, HK, etc.

We have some smaller shopping districts which offer some more
interesting and unique shops - Subiaco (Rokeby Rd and Hay St), Oxford
Street in Leederville, Claremont, Fremantle. These places offer great
restaurants and cafes too. Hillary Boat Harbour is also a good place to
hang out, with restaurants, cafes, pub, tourist-type shops, a calm very
sheltered beach, water slides, etc. Gets very busy in summer. Our
hotels are very good places for music, food and drink. I don't mean the
big fancy Hilton type hotels but our Aussie-style hotels, with the pub
on the ground floor. The ones in the more upmarket areas are not just
for rough trade to knock back a few beers and pick a fight, but have
nice bistros and live music as well.

The coast is our jewel. Personally I think we have the best beaches in
the world. I've been to the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Mexico, Central
America, Hawaii, California, Florida, etc. They all have very nice
beaches but ours are the best. We have beaches for all types -
snorkeling, surfing, swimming. Some are calm, some rough, some in
between. The weather is glorious. The sunshine constant. The blue skies
unending. Along most of the coast are well-paved, dual-use paths for
cyclists, walkers, runners. Not much built up along the coast, mostly
houses, but the odd cafe or restaurant to enjoy. Our coast is left to
be quite natural, so don't expect to sit on fancy lounge chairs with
waiters in white serving you martinis. Strictly bring your own. :-)

The Swan River foreshore is also nice, especially along the south side.
Hire a bike, cycle along, stop for a drink or meal somewhere, enjoy the
views.

Ross mentioned the Swan Valley - another nice place to spend the day.
Lots of little wineries, a couple of breweries, a chocolate factory,
cheese, olives, etc. Some wineries have restaurants, as do the
breweries. Relax, try some wine and beer, buy some to take home. There
are coach tours which are good to take, so that you don't get caught by
cops for being under the influence while driving. The Swan Valley is
only about 30 minutes outside of town.

Freo - or Fremantle - is a great place to hang out. Cafes, restaurants,
hotels, markets, historic buildings, etc.

If you like the horses - there's Ascot and Gloucester tracks. Then
outside the city, like down south, you have more wine regions and
things to see.

Anyway, a few ideas. Sorry for being long-winded. Yeah, it's not the
most exciting city in the world, but we like it that way. Less
stressful.