New York lodging question

Old April 14th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Larry

Benton wrote:
Hi there,

I'll be at NYC for three days at the end of April. My hotel budget is

$100
per night, but I can't find any rooms with private bath available on

those
dates.

So I'm thinking on either the Days Inn or Super 8 hotels at North

Bergen,
NJ. On the Expedia maps they are less than two miles away from the

Lincoln
tunnel to Manhattan. My question is how complicated is to travel

to/from
midtown Manhattan. Is there a subway to North Bergen? Is the Lincoln

tunnel
a traffic jam so cabs would be too expensive? What do you recommend?

So many
questions I know...

You face the problem that hotel owners are pretty smart. Any hotel that
is convenient to Manhattan will have prices comparable to Manhattan.
The lower the cost of a room the less convenient it will be. North
Bergen has a few rather unsavory hotels, so without a specific
recommendation I would avoid them.

Assuming you find a hotel near a bus stop, there is bus service from
North Bergen to NYC. No trains. Depending on when you go, it can take
anything from 15 minutes to 2 hours. Buses will be frequent during rush
hour, and quite infrequent at other times. So you should probably allow
an hour for the trip on average. The bus fare is about $2 each way. So
now you can afford $104 for a hotel.

Cabs get to charge double the meter, so $20 per trip is a good guess.
That alone would raise your hotel limit to $140, and you can get plenty
of good rooms under $140.

There IS a subway (the PATH) to Jersey City and Hoboken. But hotels
convenient to the PATH will be over your budget also.

There are hotels in Weehawken in the Lincoln Harbor complex; these are
very convenient, as they have fast ferry service to NYC (5 minutes).
But they are also outside your budget, and the ferry is $10 for a round
trip.

There are Manhattan hotels that should be within your budget. Try the
Pickwick Arms or Portland Square. Both have small rooms, and not all of
the rooms have private baths. But they are clean and relatively
conveniently located. Also check out the Milford Plaza, Olcott,
Excelsior, and Wolcott.

Also try the Best Western Seaport. And, if your business is a member,
Club Quarters (if it isn't you are out of luck).

As far as the airport is concerned, you take the monorail to a train
station, then a train to New York Penn Station. I think the one way
fare is about $7. An alternative is to take a Newark city bus from the
airport to Penn Station, Newark, then the PATH ($1.50) to Manhattan.
The entire trip will take an hour via PATH, about 30 minutes by train.

Larry

Old April 14th, 2005, 04:19 AM
J-Man

"Benton" wrote in message
Benton, we'll be in NYC around the same time. J-Man mentioned Hotwire,
and I agree. It has always worked well* for us, although you may not
have enough time left if you're going to be there in just 2 weeks.

The problem I see with Hotwire/Priceline is that I can't be sure if the
room will have a private bath, and that's my wife's main concern. But let
me open my browser.

Let's see... OK. Taxes included, the lowest price Hotwire gets me for a
three-star hotel is $408.95 for two nights. And the lowest price on the
results is a two-star ($364.95 for two nights) with no guarantee of the
kind of room we would get. Oh well...

All rooms on Priceline and Hotwire have private baths. And if you stay at a
2.5* or higher, it will be a nice room. Priceline is always cheaper than
Hotwire, by the way. Did you go to www.biddingfortravelcom to see what
kinds of winning bids have come up for your dates?

Old April 14th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:03:26 -0500 in rec.travel.usa-canada,
"Benton" wrote:

Let's see... OK. Taxes included, the lowest price Hotwire gets me for a
three-star hotel is $408.95 for two nights. And the lowest price on the
results is a two-star ($364.95 for two nights) with no guarantee of the kind
of room we would get. Oh well...

unlike europe, very few american hotels *don't* include a bath in
the room. most americans won't rent rooms that don't.