New York lodging question

Old April 14th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Brian Wickham

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:31:19 -0400, "Rog'"
wrote:

I prefer to stay in Westchester County just North of the City
(New Rochelle, White Plains, Scarsdale, Tarrytown) and use
Metro-North trains, since they arrive at Grand Central, which
besides the cachet, is well positioned in relation to other sights.
Yet next, I'm staying near JFK and renting a car to drive to the
Bronx Zoo for the day! =R=

Let us know how that place near JFK works out. A few years ago it was
advisable to avoid any hotel near JFK.

Brian
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Rog'

"Brian Wickham" wrote:
"Rog'" wrote:
...next, I'm staying near JFK and renting a car...

Let us know how that place near JFK works out. A few
years ago it was advisable to avoid any hotel near JFK.

----------------------
Will do. I plan to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn/JFK becuz
we arrive about 11PM. I 'spose we could head out of the
city as usual, but thought it best to sack out asap. =Rog'=

Old April 15th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Pan

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:37:00 +1000, Alan S wrote:

[snip]
I am considering car rental from Buffalo-Philadelphia and
was toying with the idea of staying in the 'burbs and
parking the car at a motel for a couple of nights while we
drop in on NYC. Mainly because I have no wish to drive in
Manhattan traffic.

[snip]

Do you have to return the car to Buffalo, or could you drop it off in
Philadelphia and take the bus or train to New York? That's an
alternate solution.

I agree with the person who suggested staying in Westchester as a
somewhat reasonable option, but keep in mind that trains from Grand
Central do not run all night, whereas subways do.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 16th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Alan S

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 22:22:32 GMT, Pan
wrote:

Do you have to return the car to Buffalo, or could you drop it off in
Philadelphia and take the bus or train to New York? That's an
alternate solution.

I'm looking at all the options at the moment. One is to
return it at DC, another at PHL, another at NYC. All have
different pros and cons - not just the parking, driving and
accommodation, so I'm trying to look at all factors.

I agree with the person who suggested staying in Westchester as a
somewhat reasonable option, but keep in mind that trains from Grand
Central do not run all night, whereas subways do.

Michael

Thanks.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM
PreferACuddle

I have booked the Portland Square Hotel in Times Square for later this
month, not sure what it's like but we got it for $110 a double, and
it's right there in the thick of it. they have a website, do a google
search

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Icono Clast

PreferACuddle wrote:
I have booked the Portland Square Hotel in Times Square for later
this month, not sure what it's like

I know exactly what it's like and will probably stay there, again,
when next I'm there.
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old April 16th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Stephen Clark

"PreferACuddle" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have booked the Portland Square Hotel in Times Square for later this
month, not sure what it's like but we got it for $110 a double, and
it's right there in the thick of it. they have a website, do a google
search

On tripadvisor it is #199 out of 326 according to residents ranking.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html