Unsafe areas of Los Angeles

Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:41 PM
Don Kirkman

It seems to me I heard somewhere that wrote in
article . com:

Years of driving cab and living in LaLa land have given me a bad taste
for the city in general. I guess everyone should see it before it is
annexed to Mexico.
First, if you see alot of graffiti, leave.
Do not go below Third St., except at the beach.

Third Street runs two blocks south of the City Hall and the Civic
Center, home of Disney Hall and the Music Center, and four blocks
*north* of the W. 7th Street hotel the OP is asking about. The two
blocks from the Civic Center to Third Street don't change the
surroundings significantly; the city's downtown financial center and
the Biltmore and Bonaventure upscale hotels are several blocks south
of Third Street. LA's Third Street, moreever, doesn't go anywhere
near the beach. That honor probably belongs to Venice or Santa
Monica, quite a few miles from downtown Los Angeles.

Do not walk around at night.

Generally good advice any time in unknown territory.

From here it gets bizarre. :-)
Do not believe any one who tells you they can get you in the movie
bizz.
If you see a very pretty woman- it's a man
If you see a very ugly woman- it's a man.

Be sure to check out Olvera St., the cities oldest.

Here's a page that discusses a lot of what's available in LA:
http://www.experiencela.com/MA_Elpueblo.htm

"A colorful marketplace lined with merchants offering a wide variety
of Mexican and Latin American merchandise and artisan goods, Olvera
Street opened on April 20, 1930.* Representing many of the customs and
trades of early California, Olvera Street's shops have leather goods,
jewelry and western wear."

* You will find sites calling it the oldest street in the city, but it
opened in its current Mexican Village Marketplace personna in 1930. It
is " Named for Augustin Olvera, a Mexican resident and later first
County Judge and first County Administrator under U.S. rule,"
substantially later then the founding era.
http://www.losangelesalmanac.com/top...raphy/ge13.htm

All the streets surrounding El Pueblo area are old, but don't exist in
their original form any more. Many of the original buildings do
survive, however, including the 1818 Avila Adobe and the 1784 Old
Plaza Church, still in use. The area is always worth a visit.

Here's a fun site for a lot of Los Angeles area place names:
http://www.losangelesalmanac.com/top...raphy/ge13.htm

Old April 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Icono Clast

usatraveler wrote:
[Olvera Street is a] Tourist trap.

Yeah, but it's still worth a visit.
. . . in L.A., you cannot trust air you cannot see -- Len
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old April 24th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Icono Clast wrote:

usatraveler wrote:

[Olvera Street is a] Tourist trap.

Yeah, but it's still worth a visit.

Tourist traps exist because they have been made interesting for tourists.

Old April 24th, 2005, 10:51 PM
NOTTSTALGIA

Thank you
That was a really useful posting,

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:41:28 -0700, Don Kirkman
wrote:

[...]

From here it gets bizarre. :-)

Old April 25th, 2005, 07:55 AM
JA

Just got back from L.A. and stayed downtown. In the future, I'd probably
stay in Pasadena and Metro into town, because downtown L.A. is rather
dead at night. On the other hand, I didn't feel unsafe.

If you have the time, do a walking tour -- info is at
http://www.laconservancy.org/tours/tours_main.php4
They have maps so you can do a "do it yourself" tour if you can't
schedule a group tour. Just be aware that part of the tour
goes through skid row. Don't miss the Bradbury Building,
which was in Blade Runner. (NOTE: It's only interesting on the
inside.) The Central Market is across the street and is a great place
to pick up munchies or have lunch.

If you're on 7th street, you may be close the the Original Pantry
(at Figueroa & 9th) Try it for breakfast--it's cheap, and the pancakes
were wonderful. (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/eats/pantry.htm)

"Don Kirkman" wrote in message
[...]

From here it gets bizarre. :-)

Old April 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
NOTTSTALGIA

Thank you for that. I will give it a try

Any other recommendations for 'Eats'?

Old April 25th, 2005, 11:26 PM
NOTTSTALGIA

According to Mapquest, the Pantry is half a mile from the hotel

Does great steaks too ))

Old April 26th, 2005, 01:29 AM
JA

"NOTTSTALGIA" wrote in message

Thank you for that. I will give it a try

Any other recommendations for 'Eats'?

Cuidad looked good, but we didn't manage to fit in a meal there. It's at
445 S. Figueroa St.

For California-Mex, try El Cholo. I ate at the one in Pasadena
and recommend the expensive make-at-the-table margaritas.
I found the food fine but the reviews I've read are mixed
(see, for example
http://www.pasadenacitycenter.com/di...iew.asp?id=704).
One problem is no doubt expectations. Some folks are expecting
a fine dining experience and not border chow, and therefore are
disappointed. (Or they may know great local places with great
border chow that I didn't find.) I also had a good inexpensive
Thai lunch in Pasadena--I think the place was called Saladang Song
or Saladang.

My favorite place was the Central Market, but be aware that it
is a market, although it has various counters you can perch at while eating.
Plus, you can get great fruits and veggies for snacks.

The New York Times has an interesting article on touring LA
by Metro called "Your Car's Here, on Track 2." Google that
exact phrase and it should show up--the link is too long to
post easily. I found it easier to walk to most of the downtown
locations than take Metro, but the story gives you an idea of
what's where.