Monterey-Carmel

Old July 14th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Bill McKee

Santa Clara is a long way from Monterey and you have to drive through Santa
Cruz on a Saturday. Try Salinas for cheaper accomodations. Should be a
motel 6 or 8 there.

"Norm" wrote in message
Thanks Patty for your email.

We will be going onto Monterey-Carmel for a 10 days stay and we have
accomodations. However, we have this one day on a Friday night where we
need to stay somewhere that is not too far from Monterey, that is why I
picked Santa Clara. We will be landing in San Francisco the night before
and will be staying close to the airport.

If you have any other suggestions, I would more than welcome them.

Thanks again
Norm & Lily
Editor
Sketchandtravel.com

Norm
Editor
Sketchandtravel.com

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups
http://www.travelnewsgroups.com

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Icono Clast

Norm wrote:
a Friday night where we need to stay somewhere that is not too far
from Monterey, that is why I picked Santa Clara.

If what is mean by "not too far" is about seventy miles, you're OK.

We will be landing in San Francisco the night before and will be
staying close to the airport.

I hope you're aware that you won't be in San Francisco.
A San Franciscan in 47.452 mile² San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Mimi

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
link.net...
Santa Clara is a long way from Monterey and you have to drive through
Santa Cruz on a Saturday. Try Salinas for cheaper accomodations. Should
be a motel 6 or 8 there.

Nope, you can still drive south on 101 through Gilroy. We went that way and
stopped off at San Juan Bautista, a satisfyingly sleepy little town with a
well-preserved mission.

Marianne

Old July 14th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Norm

I now have take the advice of some of you and opted for a Travelodge in
Salinas. Have any of you stayed here or know about it?

Norm
Editor
Sketchandtravel.com

Old July 14th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Norm wrote:
I now have take the advice of some of you and opted for a Travelodge in
Salinas. Have any of you stayed here or know about it?

I haven't stayed in that one, but it should fit your needs fine for
a clean, inexpensive place to stay before you continue to Monterey.

The Steinbeck Center's website is at www.steinbeck.org. Its visitors'
guide page has links to sites with more information about the Salinas
area.

Patty

Old July 14th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Norm

Thanks Patty-you have been a great help.

Norm
Editor
Sketchandtravel.com

Old July 15th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Norm wrote:
Thanks Patty:
You just about hit the nail on the head. You mention beautiful parks in
the Santa Clara area. Perhaps, you could enlighten me.
This would interest us particularly that my wife is an artist and is
always on the lookout for unique places to draw and paint.
Thanks again
Norm

A park between Salinas and Monterey with great views of Monterey Bay is
Jacks Peak County Park:
http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/parks/Jacks_Peak.htm

In the Santa Cruz Mtns., check out any of the parks on this map (click
on the park for a link to maps and panoramas):
http://www.virtualparks.org/regions/sc-mtns-mid-qtvr-map.html

Old July 15th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Norm

Thanks Carmen -my wife and I will check this one out, as we are doing a
series of articles on romantic venues in the Monterey-Carmel area.

Norm
Editor
Sketchandtravel.com

Old July 17th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Bill McKee

Actually I have driven both ways, but use to go from Santa Clara to Scotts
Valley for business and is my normal route.

"Mimi" wrote in message

link.net...

Old July 26th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
link.net...
Santa Clara is a long way from Monterey and you have to drive through

Santa
Cruz on a Saturday. Try Salinas for cheaper accomodations. Should be a
motel 6 or 8 there.

Do you have to take 101 to get to Salinas? It used to be 101 on a Friday
afternoon/evening in the summer was a parking lot, as that is the way to LA
from the South Bay. Has that gotten better? (I know SFO to Salinas is
about a 2 hour drive without traffic. With traffic it could be forever.)