Travel Insurance

Old February 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Travel Insurance

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any particularly good travel insurance for a 16 day
trip from the UK to New Zealand? I'll be trawling some of the usual
suspects, but any particular "try these" suggestions would certainly be
useful :-)

Thanks

Jon.
--
Jon Pitts

ICQ:41410672 MSN: AIM:jonpittsaim
Yahoo Messenger: pittsjon Web:
http://www.pitts50.co.uk

Old February 5th, 2006, 12:11 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Jon Pitts" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any particularly good travel insurance for a 16 day
trip from the UK to New Zealand? I'll be trawling some of the usual
suspects, but any particular "try these" suggestions would certainly be
useful :-)

Thanks

Jon.
--
Jon Pitts

ICQ:41410672 MSN: AIM:jonpittsaim
Yahoo Messenger: pittsjon Web:
http://www.pitts50.co.uk

Hi, I have always gone with www.atlasdirect.net on trips to OZ & NZ and
found them giving very good cover and price.

John

Old February 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

You might check to see if there is the same reciprocal arrangement for basic
necessary medical care as exists between the UK and Aus. If there is, I'd
give it a miss - at its most basic, insurance is an expert betting nothing
bad will happen while you're betting it will - if you're already covered
against catastrophes that will bankrupt you if they happen, that's all you
really need (e.g. if your eyeglasses break, it might cost you a visit to an
optomotrist's and a dispenser's, and might ruin your day and put a dent in
your wallet but will it have you living on cat food in your dotage? Not
likely).

Old February 5th, 2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any particularly good travel insurance for a 16 day
trip from the UK to New Zealand? I'll be trawling some of the usual
suspects, but any particular "try these" suggestions would certainly be
useful :-)

Thanks

Jon.

Hi
I used the Post Office Travel insurance last time i went. Not sure how good
it is for a 16 day trip

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australian, New Zealand, USA, UK, South African, Thailand Sim Cards.

www.byronbay.co.uk - www.nimbin.co.uk

Old February 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 14:02:07 GMT, "H.B. Lasseter"
wrote:

You might check to see if there is the same reciprocal arrangement for basic
necessary medical care as exists between the UK and Aus.

As long as he doesn't come across a doc like I did in Oxford
UK. The receptionist was totally unaware of any such
arrangement, was totally unwilling to look at the documents
and Medicare card I had to support it and refused to treat
my wife unless we paid sixty quid up front as "private"
patients.

We got the money back - from our travel insurance company.

I'm going to NZ myself on Friday - but I'll be covered by
the automatic travel insurance provided by using a Gold
credit card. Check out what is covered by yours if you have
used a cc to book your travel.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote:

You might check to see if there is the same reciprocal arrangement for
basic
necessary medical care as exists between the UK and Aus.

As long as he doesn't come across a doc like I did in Oxford
UK. The receptionist was totally unaware of any such
arrangement, was totally unwilling to look at the documents
and Medicare card I had to support it and refused to treat
my wife unless we paid sixty quid up front as "private"
patients.

We got the money back - from our travel insurance company.

I'm going to NZ myself on Friday - but I'll be covered by
the automatic travel insurance provided by using a Gold
credit card. Check out what is covered by yours if you have
used a cc to book your travel.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Some cards have different rules on the insurance. When I had a Barclays
Premiere card (UK) insurance was only valid on independent travel if I
booked the flights and paid for all accommodation and internal travel with
it.
Derek.

Old February 6th, 2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Jon Pitts" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any particularly good travel insurance for a 16 day
trip from the UK to New Zealand? I'll be trawling some of the usual
suspects, but any particular "try these" suggestions would certainly be
useful :-)

Thanks

Jon.
--
Jon Pitts

ICQ:41410672 MSN: AIM:jonpittsaim
Yahoo Messenger: pittsjon Web:
http://www.pitts50.co.uk

It's amazing who does travel insurance now. I was steered towards Matalan by
Chest, Heart and Stroke (Scotland) I eventually went to InsureandGo who seem
to be advertising heavily at the moment.
Derek.

Old February 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Jon Pitts" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any particularly good travel insurance for a 16 day
trip from the UK to New Zealand? I'll be trawling some of the usual
suspects, but any particular "try these" suggestions would certainly be
useful :-)

Thanks

Jon.
--
Jon Pitts

ICQ:41410672 MSN: AIM:jonpittsaim
Yahoo Messenger: pittsjon Web:
http://www.pitts50.co.uk

Apply for an American Express card they have free tracel insurance to a
certain value, pay if off with your normal card when ya get home.

Apparently the travel insurance is reasonably good as well.

Old February 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

In message , Jon Pitts
writes
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any particularly good travel insurance for a 16 day
trip from the UK to New Zealand? I'll be trawling some of the usual
suspects, but any particular "try these" suggestions would certainly be
useful :-)

Have a look at these. They're Which magazine's best buys for annual
travel insurance and might also be good for other durations.

http://www.swiftcover.com/

http://www.familycare.uk.com/

http://www.travelinsuranceweb.com/

http://www.simpletravelinsurance.co.uk/

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Read my tips...
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote:

You might check to see if there is the same reciprocal arrangement for basic
necessary medical care as exists between the UK and Aus.

As long as he doesn't come across a doc like I did in Oxford
UK. The receptionist was totally unaware of any such
arrangement, was totally unwilling to look at the documents
and Medicare card I had to support it and refused to treat
my wife unless we paid sixty quid up front as "private"
patients.

We got the money back - from our travel insurance company.

We, from The Netherlands (a.k.a. "Holland") had the same experience in
Oz. There was supposed to be a reciprocal arrangement between our Dutch
"Ziekenfonds" (literally "Fund(s) for the Sick") and Aussie Medicare,
but we also had to pay the doc(s) (for my wife and daughter) and when we
tried to get imbursed at the Medicare office, we didn't get a refund,
not even a partial one, because the docs' bill did not say it was for
emergency treatment ("No, it wasn't an emergency. When in a foreign
country, we go to the doc just for kicks!" :-(). We also got the money
back from our travel insurance.

[deleted]