Travel Insurance

Old February 8th, 2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Travel Insurance

On 06 Feb 2006 15:34:13 GMT, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

We, from The Netherlands (a.k.a. "Holland") had the same experience in
Oz. There was supposed to be a reciprocal arrangement between our Dutch
"Ziekenfonds" (literally "Fund(s) for the Sick") and Aussie Medicare,
but we also had to pay the doc(s) (for my wife and daughter) and when we
tried to get imbursed at the Medicare office, we didn't get a refund,
not even a partial one, because the docs' bill did not say it was for
emergency treatment ("No, it wasn't an emergency. When in a foreign
country, we go to the doc just for kicks!" :-(). We also got the money
back from our travel insurance.

Lesson to be learnt here is, always go to the emergency department of
your nearest public hoispital, which will know what to do, no cash
payment, just charged directly to Medicare.

=====================

Dave

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 01:19:46 +0000 (UTC), "Derek F"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 14:02:07 GMT, "H.B. Lasseter"
wrote:

You might check to see if there is the same reciprocal arrangement for
basic
necessary medical care as exists between the UK and Aus.

As long as he doesn't come across a doc like I did in Oxford
UK. The receptionist was totally unaware of any such
arrangement, was totally unwilling to look at the documents
and Medicare card I had to support it and refused to treat
my wife unless we paid sixty quid up front as "private"
patients.

We got the money back - from our travel insurance company.

I'm going to NZ myself on Friday - but I'll be covered by
the automatic travel insurance provided by using a Gold
credit card. Check out what is covered by yours if you have
used a cc to book your travel.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Some cards have different rules on the insurance. When I had a Barclays
Premiere card (UK) insurance was only valid on independent travel if I
booked the flights and paid for all accommodation and internal travel with
it.
Derek.

The rules for a gold MC or Visa through the NAB are that at
least 50% of the pre-travel expenses (usually airfare and
rental car deposits) be paid using the card, there are some
other limitations, including a 90-day trip limit.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 01:24:16 +0000 (UTC), "Derek F"
wrote:

"Jon Pitts" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any particularly good travel insurance for a 16 day
trip from the UK to New Zealand? I'll be trawling some of the usual
suspects, but any particular "try these" suggestions would certainly be
useful :-)

Thanks

Jon.
--
Jon Pitts

ICQ:41410672 MSN: AIM:jonpittsaim
Yahoo Messenger: pittsjon Web:
http://www.pitts50.co.uk

It's amazing who does travel insurance now. I was steered towards Matalan by
Chest, Heart and Stroke (Scotland) I eventually went to InsureandGo who seem
to be advertising heavily at the moment.
Derek.

One tip, depending on your situation. During our five-month
world trip we used our Health Insurance Company's travel
branch for travel insurance. But we suspended the actual
Australian Health Insurance cover while we were out of the
country.

The travel insurance cost less than the reduced health
insurance premium. No need for it when you're out of the
country.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

With ANZ Gold Visa, you must be a permanent resident of Australia, and pay
at least $250 worth of your overseas travel arrangements using ANZ Gold
prior to departing Australia. Must also have a return ticket to AUSTRALIA
WITHIN 4 months of departure..Also covers spouse or partner accompanying.

Alan, Maybe you should switch from NAB. :0)

Have a great day today, and an even better day tomorrow.
Regards,
BIG KEV - Melbourne Australia

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 01:19:46 +0000 (UTC), "Derek F"
wrote:

. ..

Old February 8th, 2006, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:47:59 +1100, "Big Kev"
wrote:

Alan, Maybe you should switch from NAB. :0)

I did - but I wouldn't go near the ANZ from bitter past
experience. Went to the Greater - but they only have Amex.
There is no way I'm going to wander around the old iron
curtain countries later this year with an Amex - so I kept
the NAB cards and designed the trip to be 90 days:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote:

We, from The Netherlands (a.k.a. "Holland") had the same experience in
Oz. There was supposed to be a reciprocal arrangement between our Dutch
"Ziekenfonds" (literally "Fund(s) for the Sick") and Aussie Medicare,
but we also had to pay the doc(s) (for my wife and daughter) and when we
tried to get imbursed at the Medicare office, we didn't get a refund,
not even a partial one, because the docs' bill did not say it was for
emergency treatment ("No, it wasn't an emergency. When in a foreign
country, we go to the doc just for kicks!" :-(). We also got the money
back from our travel insurance.

Lesson to be learnt here is, always go to the emergency department of
your nearest public hoispital, which will know what to do, no cash
payment, just charged directly to Medicare.

"hospital"? "emergency department"? What the heck are *those!? :-)

We were lucky to be directed to a medical centre (in Jurien) a few
hundred kilometers away!

Oz is a big country (as I'm sure you know), and not every bloody
tourist only visits the big(ger) cities. For us, Oz is the outback
(etc.) and then the cities, not the other way around. So if there is *a*
doctor when we need one, we are grateful and don't whine about money.
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote:

We, from The Netherlands (a.k.a. "Holland") had the same experience in
Oz. There was supposed to be a reciprocal arrangement between our Dutch
"Ziekenfonds" (literally "Fund(s) for the Sick") and Aussie Medicare,
but we also had to pay the doc(s) (for my wife and daughter) and when we
tried to get imbursed at the Medicare office, we didn't get a refund,
not even a partial one, because the docs' bill did not say it was for
emergency treatment ("No, it wasn't an emergency. When in a foreign
country, we go to the doc just for kicks!" :-(). We also got the money
back from our travel insurance.

Lesson to be learnt here is, always go to the emergency department of
your nearest public hoispital, which will know what to do, no cash
payment, just charged directly to Medicare.

Dave

The UK government booklet Health Advice for Travellers says for Australia:-
"Public hospital treatment is normally free. Treatment at most doctors
surgeries has to be paid for as well as prescribed medicines and ambulance
travel.
You will need to enroll at a Medicare Office but this can usually be done
after you get treatment. Some doctors charges may be partially refunded by
the medicare scheme. Claim at the local office before you leave"
Derek.