Security 2 and from Oz

Old September 7th, 2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mindy

Default Security 2 and from Oz

as I sit here tonight trying to shake off the jet lag, I thought what the
hell lets give the low down on traveling from the US to Aussie land and
back...starting point being DFW ... very somber and to the point at security
check point...shoes off, lap top out of bag, cell phones and digital cameras
in tray....you pass and if they select you, your selected to get poofed for
traces of matter in a chamber ... no one smiles. its all business....

Bags are sent thru to Sydney...no personal search for international flight
to OZ if you arrive by AA which shares the hub with Qantas.....but they do
re-ticket you for Aussie flight...passport in hand and ticket which they
tear up and reissue a new boarding pass....flight at 12:30 at night to
Oz.....we arrive at 6 Aussie time into Sydney and deport to immigration and
customs....the late Steve Irwin and his 2 beagles in an on board video warns
against anyone coming into Oz with any food, raw fruit,spread like cheese or
mayo or a skinned chicken which they show....Steve warns you they will find
anything you might smuggle into OZ....this point you must of filled out an
immigration card to enter OZ on the jet.....ask if your caring any food,
been on a farm, illicit drugs....must state what your intention is for
entering OZ.....holiday ( vacation) or other selections as work visa and
such.....you must have this card filled out...dog comes by and sniffs each
and everyone...not beagles but lab....get you passport stamped.....leave the
area but you again must pass x-ray luggage as well as carryon to exit
international to domestic flights...

domestic flights seems who cares....x ray carry on....get on the jet and
go....arrive Surfers Paradise

Leave Gold Coast on Jet Star, really could care less but you get the once
over again.....arrive in Sydney from terminal 1 to 2 international...they
x-ray your carry on baggage.....typical inspection.......we walk a long
corridor to jet hub....we really don't notice cloth blinds along the
corridor...then we are all of a sudden faced with 40 gun laden marshals
waiting to do all but a strip search ....every carry on bag is
searched.....everyone is patted down as well scanned by a metal
detector......they are full force and no smiles...women searched by female
marshal...on leaving flight you must have filled out another immigration
card with basically the same questions as the Aussie card asks but for USA
admission....you get the once over from the imagration officer and allowed
to enter.....

Checked luggage is screened.....women's luggage the most....they will search
your make up, all of it....they are interested in your nail polish
mostly...both coming and going the nail polish gets lower and lower in
volume.....even if packed in easy to reach roll out make up packaging, they
will search your make up....if your mirror is in the way, they don't care if
they break it.....ladies pack your make up in easy to reach
packaging....leave at top of luggage for quick access....all in all, be
patient, the lines are not that long in all instances....you get thru in
less than 10 minute waits....

Old September 7th, 2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Jeff[_2_]

"Mindy" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

well Mindy, you could always just sat in US and not travel

Old September 7th, 2006, 11:33 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
AlmostBob

your problem is with the merkins, not the aussies

--
If at first you dont succeed
try try try again

_
link.net...

Old September 7th, 2006, 11:36 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
ant[_6_]

Mindy wrote:
as I sit here tonight trying to shake off the jet lag, I thought what
the hell lets give the low down on traveling from the US to Aussie
land and back...starting point being DFW ... very somber and to the
point at security check point...shoes off, lap top out of bag, cell
phones and digital cameras in tray....

It's been like that since S 11.

Bags are sent thru to Sydney...no personal search for international
flight to OZ if you arrive by AA which shares the hub with
Qantas.....but they do re-ticket you for Aussie flight...passport in
hand and ticket which they tear up and reissue a new boarding
pass....flight at 12:30 at night to Oz

12.30? I thought the 2nd late night flight to Sydney was at 11.30pm from
LAX?

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old September 7th, 2006, 11:40 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
ant[_6_]

This would be really useful for USA people. Notice the security for flights
heading TO the US was much stronger?
The security that was put in place after S11 wasnt' that far from what we
had here before it. No knives, for instance.
The stuff about their interest in makeup tallies with my experience coming
away from the US in April though, they evidently went into my clear plastic
case of lipsticks (I bought up big in the 99 cent thing where they got rid
of old Cover Girl shades). Some casings were cracked.

Old September 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mindy

Thank you ant for understanding this report on the process, not a commentary
on the policy....I posted this to the Fodor's forum and caught all sorts of
flak as if I was reporting on policy....it is great to see someone
understand the cosmetic searches....this is what I experienced and wanted
female or 1st time travelers to see what was happening.....pack your
cosmetics in easy to open cases, remove mirrors and expect to see some
opened lids and some damaged goods is not unusual...that's all....

Old September 8th, 2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JoAnneV

Thank you for explaining what the security is going to be like. I
really appreciate the information since we will be going to Australia
and New Zealand for the first time in October. I did not think it was
a negative rant - just the facts.

Thanks again.

Old September 8th, 2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mindy

Jo Anne, after talking with my wife more let me add some more info.....I
myself know nothing of cosmetics, same as she my tools but she feels her
cosmetics are very personal....so with her input let me say this....her most
expensive facial cream was squeezed out or pumped out of her cosmetics in
the searchs....someone had been in all of them.....she doesnt care who but
you will see loss of vauable cosmetic solutions in the search of
items.....had she known this she would of packed cheaper items like Oil of
Oly or sample packs of her most expensive stuff than let it be wasted in
searchs.....now let us refine this statement, we fully back searchs, but if
you are packing your stuff that cost alot, beware they dump alot of it in
searches.....beware and pack accordingly.....that is all we are
saying....have the time of your life there....it is more expensive than the
states but what the hey, it is your vacation and Oz will prove to be worth
every penny you spend....money matters, they have no pennies or 1 dollar
bills....the exchange of dollars may confuse you but look at the coins you
get back and they will be in 1 dollar, 2 dollar, 20 cent, 5 cent, 50 cent
pieces....you'll get used to the money....have fun and let us know if we can
provide any info that may help your trip...

ups.com...

Old September 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mindy

No matter what you say to read, which I did, what we went thru is what
happens....and it happened over again.......you cant have jells, creams,
liquids or aerosols....plain and simple in carry on....what I talked about
is checked luggage if you read the report carefully....now let me give you
an example I haven't mentioned...I saved for the grandkids something that
Qantas gives out from my going to Oz flight.... a little pouch with a Qantas
emblem sealed in plastic which contain socks, a sleep mask and a plastic
sealed tampon shaped tube with a small tooth brush and maybe an inch long
tube of tooth paste...never had opend it in the first place just put it in
.......had it in carryon back pack......on the preboard search back to the
US, the air marshal tore that whole packaging apart...and removed the inch
long tube of toothpaste....handed everything apart back....you can not take
gels, creams, liquids or aerosols on board in carryon, no matter what...even
chap stick...I only report what actually happens, not what you read Texan
will happen....read Ants reply Texan..and like Ant said, they will damage
items in search of checked baggage...so dont make things worse by double
wrapping something.....keep it simple for quick and easy access to the
inspectors....or as you say, " I have NO sympathy when people chose to
ignore advice " ....

. . wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 01:16:20 GMT, "Mindy"
wrote:

[...]

I posted a msge in your thread prior to your departure regarding new
regulations on what could be carried in your carryon etc and a link to
the TSA's website.

For whatever reason/s it appears that you did not bother to go to the
site and read it otherwise you and your wife would have been VERY
aware of what could and could not be carried i.e. cosmetics, in your
carryon luggage!

She could have packed it in her carryon [and double bagged it as I
suggested] and saved herself a LOT of grief!

Sorry but I have NO sympathy when people chose to ignore advice - and
lordy there's been enough on the news media here about carryon items
these past weeks!

Cath

Old September 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Mindy

I blame no one...just that this happens....this is not a commentary of
policy....just what happens if you travel to Oz and back....plain and
simple...who cares who does what......not me.....BUT......if your a woman
and you have expensive cosmetics, beware of what does happen.....4 days ago
this is what transpired Bob....this is aimed to women travelers which I
wishes to convey....my husband doesn't know what quality cosmetics
cost....Ant said she bought 99 products.....but it is special to her, that
is what counts to women....like shoes, you will never understand....we loved
Australia while there...

"AlmostBob" wrote in message
your problem is with the merkins, not the aussies

--
If at first you dont succeed
try try try again
If at first you do succeed