accommodation in Istanbul???

Old September 15th, 2003, 01:49 AM
Dan Stephenson

Default accommodation in Istanbul???

In article , Deep Flayed
Mares wrote:

Goran wrote in message ...
Hi,
I would be grateful if somebody could recommend me nice and clean, not to
expensive, Hotel or Pension in Istanbul (~ 50 ? )

You can just arrive in Sultanahmet with a backpack on, and someone will
almost certainly approach you offering a room. If not, wander down to
Caddesi St in Cankurtaran and there are heaps of cheap places.

Istanbul is one of my favourite cities in the world. You are doing well if
you leave Turkey without a carpet. Hope you enjoy it!
---
DFM

I stayed at the Ambassador Hotel. It is very closed to all the great
sights. Its web link is http://www.istanbulambassadorhotel.com/

I stayed there for most of a week in the Fall of last year. Its prices
were reasonable, its rooms were quite 'modern' (at the end of a long
vacation and nice room is a VERY appreciated thing), and it has a great
breakfast on the balcony with the most spectacular view you can
possibly imagine. Oh - for these views check out the Best of Turkey
through my web page link below. I took "Aya Sofya at Night", the two
"Hotel Breakfast Terrace", and "The Blue Mosque and Gull" from this
balcony.

You should be warned that the constant pitches from carpet sellers and
other street peddlers can really REALLY get on your nerves, the 100th
(literally) time you've heard it in a day.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from my 3-month European vacation:
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Deep Freud Moors

You should be warned that the constant pitches from carpet sellers and
other street peddlers can really REALLY get on your nerves, the 100th
(literally) time you've heard it in a day.

It usually goes like:

Carpet salesman: "Where you from?"

Visitor: "(some place)"

Carpet salesman: "Oh, I have a brother/cousin living there. Come in and have
a cup of Lezzo..."

The tourist is then presented with a BOILING hot glass of apple tea, and is
thus forced to sit and wait for it to cool down, all the while being
presented with carpet after carpet. Getting out of the shop may involve the
use of a grappling hook or crowbar.
---
DFM