Mula caves Sarawak

Old December 4th, 2003, 05:23 AM
diana

Default Mula caves Sarawak

Anyone been to the Mulu Caves in Sarawak?
What's the best way/arrangement to go from Singapore?

D.

Old December 6th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Frank

Mulu caves in Gunung Mulu Nat Park are quite extensive.
Fly to Kuching, then to Miri (or go overland.
From Miri by boat, preferably with guide, that used to be Nat Park requirement.
Gunung Mulu can be also reached from north, Sabah.
Frank.
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Eric Edwards

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:23:52 +0800, diana wrote:
Anyone been to the Mulu Caves in Sarawak?
What's the best way/arrangement to go from Singapore?

Things have changed since I was there in January.

The new airport at Mulu seems to be operating because Malaysia Airlines is
now showing direct flights from Kota Kinabalu to Mulu.

Also, Air Asia is now flying direct from Johar Baru to Miri.

So that gives two good routes:

1) Johar Baru to Kota Kinabalu then KK to Mulu.
2) Johar Baru to Miri, Miri to Mulu.

My guess is #2 is cheaper but that's just a guess.
#1 could be done from Singapore too, but it will cost more.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or
Old December 8th, 2003, 03:06 PM
WhiteShiva

"Eric Edwards" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:23:52 +0800, diana wrote:
Anyone been to the Mulu Caves in Sarawak?
What's the best way/arrangement to go from Singapore?

Things have changed since I was there in January.

The new airport at Mulu seems to be operating because Malaysia Airlines is
now showing direct flights from Kota Kinabalu to Mulu.

I dunno about any new airport, but when I lived in Miri in the mid-90's,
there was already a runway at near Gunung Mulu, with flights coming in from
Miri and Limbang - Twin Otters, mostely. The place was great then, and well
worth a visit. The Mulu resort was a very comfortable place to stay, pricy,
but well worth the money. The Penan longhouse was a bit of a bore, but if
you have time, try to befriend some locals in Miri, and you may be invited
to a real longhouse.

If they are Iban, there is a possibility they may still have human skulls
hanging from the ceiling. Check the skulls carefully. If you see teeth
with metal fillings, you may be better off staying overnight somewhere
else......

Kuching is also worth a visit, probably the nicest city I have ever been to.
The Sarawakians are overall very friendly, and more laidback and easygoing
than their countrymen in the west.

Trond

Old December 9th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Eric Edwards

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:06:00 +0700, WhiteShiva wrote:

"Eric Edwards" wrote in message
I dunno about any new airport, but when I lived in Miri in the mid-90's,
there was already a runway at near Gunung Mulu, with flights coming in from
Miri and Limbang - Twin Otters, mostely.

The purpose of the new airport is to accommodate planes larger than the
Twin Otters. Last January, they were in the middle of demolishing a
hill in order to clear the approach.

The place was great then, and well
worth a visit. The Mulu resort was a very comfortable place to stay, pricy,
but well worth the money.

The park itself has pretty nice facilities and accommodations and it is
much more reasonably priced than the Royal Mulu.