Ryanair vs. easyJet Booking

Old June 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Konstabel Els

Default Ryanair vs. easyJet Booking

On Jun 23, 9:53*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:01:33 +0200, Runge16 wrote:
rec.travel.air

plonk

"tim....." a ?crit dans le message de

"BartC" wrote in message
.com...
Have just booked a flight with easyJet after years of using only Ryanair
(for European trips).

And I have to say it was a pleasure compared with Ryanair. The outward
and
return flights were both ?43, and the total fare, without hold baggage,
was

u mean plonkeur
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

S Viemeister wrote:
Michael wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
A friend is considering using Aer Arann - any opinions on their service?

Haven't used them. But if you're flying to the Arann Islands, you
don't have much choice!

Well, the trip in question was Dublin-Inverness.

Besides, I have a principle of trying anything once.

Hmmm...

Go on, if only to file a report here!

http://www.cannes-or-bust.com/

Old June 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
congokid

In article , BartC
writes

And I have to say it was a pleasure compared with Ryanair. The outward and
return flights were both £43, and the total fare, without hold baggage, was
£86! The only extra was a £3 debit card fee.

Well, I've just with booked Easyjet and paid the 3UKP debit fee - but
they were asking 13UKP extra for any credit card payment - and that's
after you calculate the flight price which clearly states 'includes ALL
taxes and fees'.

They're all a rip off these days, especially if you miss out on the
cheaper seats which seem to be scarcer than ever.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"congokid" wrote in message
In article , BartC
writes

And I have to say it was a pleasure compared with Ryanair. The outward and
return flights were both £43, and the total fare, without hold baggage,
was
£86! The only extra was a £3 debit card fee.

Well, I've just with booked Easyjet and paid the 3UKP debit fee - but they
were asking 13UKP extra for any credit card payment - and that's after you
calculate the flight price which clearly states 'includes ALL taxes and
fees'.

I seem to remember the credit card fees were about half that (but I can't
find a way of checking without making a dummy booking under a false name).
Maybe the credit card fees are per passenger and the debit card is per
booking?

They're all a rip off these days, especially if you miss out on the
cheaper seats which seem to be scarcer than ever.

At least both these airlines tell you the fees before you pay. Unlike, say,
Brittany Ferries, where the most dominant thing on the screen just before
you click Submit is what you think is the total, eg. £100 [in 2006].

After you click Submit, this changes to £103.

You go back to the previous page (alas too late now to actually change
anything), and at the opposite end of the page, in a tiny font, is a link
'credit card fees', and sure enough clicking that tells you they will charge
you £3.

--
Bart

Old June 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

BartC wrote:

Have just booked a flight with easyJet after years of using only Ryanair
(for European trips).

I use easyjet and ryanair interchangeably. My prime criteria are cost
and where I am flying. I honestly don't notice any difference in basic
service, and have yet to have a problem with either. Get an electron
card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old June 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
BartC wrote:

Have just booked a flight with easyJet after years of using only Ryanair
(for European trips).

Get an electron card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

The charges are more of a nuisance than anything; if I travel 6 times a year
with Ryanair then it'll cost me £60. With easyJet, it'll cost me £18.

The headaches of finding a supplier of electron cards (as they seem to be
rather elusive), applying for one, possibly being refused, and the extra
maintenance and extra id theft risks associated with another card I don't
really need, would be even more of a nuisance.

Surely the airlines should simply apply a fee that bears some relation to
the actual transaction cost, even if the basic fares have to increase,
instead of expecting everyone to apply for and carry an extra card just for
this purpose.

(A few months back I tried to apply for a Nationwide card to avoid foreign
cash withdrawal charges. After filling out the form with all my personal
details, I got a screen saying I'd been refused the card. What a slap in the
face! Now I have to face the same prospect with Electon?! Of course I have
only used credit cards for 25 years...

But, the point is, why do I have to carry electron and nationwide cards
everywhere, just to avoid rip-off charges with the other cards. There
shouldn't be any rip-off charges!)

--
Bart

Old June 24th, 2009, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

om...

BartC wrote:

[...]

They won't have to increase, they have one card which is free because
otherwise they have to add the fee to the headline price as it is "non
avoidable". They chose the electron because it is the least used card, not
because its merchant fees are the lowest

(A few months back I tried to apply for a Nationwide card to avoid foreign
cash withdrawal charges. After filling out the form with all my personal
details, I got a screen saying I'd been refused the card.

So was I. As, at the time, I had a savings account with them with a large
five figure sum in it the assistant saw how stupid this rejection was and
overruled it. I suspected that I got rejected because I didn't check the
"move my standing orders to this account" box and the system thought that I
had only applied for the account to get "free" foreign transactions and
wasn't going to use it for anything else.

What a slap in the face! Now I have to face the same prospect with
Electon?! Of course I have only used credit cards for 25 years...

But, the point is, why do I have to carry electron and nationwide cards
everywhere, just to avoid rip-off charges with the other cards. There
shouldn't be any rip-off charges!)

You'll have to carry on avoiding Ryanair then

tim

Old June 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
congokid

In article , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

Get an electron
card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

I have a Visa Debit card - would that be accepted do you think?
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

tim..... wrote:

"BartC" wrote in message
om...

[]
(A few months back I tried to apply for a Nationwide card to avoid foreign
cash withdrawal charges. After filling out the form with all my personal
details, I got a screen saying I'd been refused the card.

So was I. As, at the time, I had a savings account with them with a large
five figure sum in it the assistant saw how stupid this rejection was and
overruled it. I suspected that I got rejected because I didn't check the
"move my standing orders to this account" box and the system thought that I
had only applied for the account to get "free" foreign transactions and
wasn't going to use it for anything else.

I got a simple account at Halifax.

Old June 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

BartC wrote:

Have just booked a flight with easyJet after years of using only Ryanair
(for European trips).

Get an electron card which avoids the charges on both airlines.

The charges are more of a nuisance than anything; if I travel 6 times a year
with Ryanair then it'll cost me £60. With easyJet, it'll cost me £18.

The headaches of finding a supplier of electron cards (as they seem to be
rather elusive), applying for one, possibly being refused, and the extra
maintenance and extra id theft risks associated with another card I don't
really need, would be even more of a nuisance.

It took me a couple of minutes to apply for a simple halifax account
online and I got the card in the post a week later. I often travel with
my partner, so that doubles the savings.

But, the point is, why do I have to carry electron and nationwide cards
everywhere, just to avoid rip-off charges with the other cards. There
shouldn't be any rip-off charges!)

That's the game they play, and it allows you to fly very cheaply (far
cheaper than a decade ago) if you play the game- an easy enough one to
play...