NYC Police Arrest scRunge....

Old June 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_147_]

Default NYC Police Arrest scRunge....

Scary NY welcome for French tourists: police chase

Posted Online: June 24, 2009, 9:57 pm

By Colleen Long, Associated Press writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Five French tourists got a harrowing start to their New York
visit: a wild police chase.

As they looked for a ride at the Air France terminal at John F. Kennedy
International Airport on Tuesday morning, the visitors were lured to a van
that was not licensed to provide taxi service, said John Kelly, spokesman
for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which manages the
airport.

Plainclothes police recognized the man who enticed the tourists, Ian
McFarland, as a repeat offender previously arrested for corralling
passengers into unlicensed cars. A Port Authority officer reached inside the
van to try and grab the keys, but the driver, Khaalif Preacher, sped off
with the tourists inside, knocking the officer to the ground, Kelly said.

Port Authority police sped after the van, which snaked through residential
streets and traveled about seven 7 miles (11 kilometers) through two
boroughs before it crashed through a gate at a U.S. Postal Service facility
in the East New York section of Brooklyn.

The tourists said they screamed and prayed during the chase.

'I was scared,' Paris resident Esther-Ethy Mamane, 26, said Wednesday at a
news conference. Mamane and her mother, Claudie, traveled to New York to
attend a religious seminar. She said she tried to keep the other passengers
inside the van calm during the chaos.

Preacher and McFarland jumped out while the van was still moving. Mamane
said there was smoke and the rear doors wouldn't open from the inside, so
she jumped out the front as the van rolled and ran around to open the doors.
Mamane's mother tried to jump from the van, fell and the vehicle rolled over
her arm. She was treated at a hospital and released. Mamane and the other
passengers, a woman and her parents, were not injured.

Meanwhile, police chased the two suspects on foot and arrested them. They
were awaiting arraignment Wednesday on charges of second-degree assault,
second-degree assault on an officer, reckless endangerment, resisting arrest
and unlawful solicitation of ground transportation services, the Queens
district attorney's office said. It wasn't clear whether they had attorneys.

Claudine and Esther-Ethy Mamane were given a bag full of New York City
goodies, including tickets to the Broadway show 'Chicago,' passes to the
Museum of Modern Art and transit fare cards at a news conference Wednesday.
The other tourists decided not to attend.

The women, who spoke little English, said they were grateful to the Port
Authority officers who never let the van out of their sight, and they are
looking forward to a good trip in New York.

'We are happy to be here; we love New York and New Yorkers,' Claudie Mamane
said through a French translator. 'We never lost faith. And at any time we
never thought it would end badly for us.'

/

Old June 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Earl Evleth[_1_]

On 25/06/09 17:32, in article
, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

Scary NY welcome for French tourists: police chase

It was in the French papers.

One problem at Kennedy is being approached by these gypsy cab
drivers. The official taxi pick up areas are well organized,
one gets a slip with somebody who is directs the taxis, and the
cab driver too. If the run is not all the way into NYC, a short
run he can come back and get into line. We stay at a place out
at the end of Brooklyn, Broadway junction, which is only
about 15 minutes from JFK-a short run. Most NY cab drivers
don't know the area and we have to direct them. They are all
foreigners, a lot with Arab names.

****

from

http://www.streetreporters.net/quicks/3416

Course-Poursuite à New York et le cauchemar de cinq français
Début de séjour en fanfare pour cinq français ! Alors qu'ils venaient tout
juste d'atterrir à l'aéroport JFK, les cinq touristes ont été accosté par un
homme. Ce dernier les conduit à un van leur déclarant qu'il s'agit bien d'un
taxi. La situation alerte les policiers de l'aéroport et contrôlent le taxi
qui s'apprêtent à part. Un agent tente de retirer les clés de contact du
véhicule. Mais le conducteur accélère brusquement et renverse le policier.
Naturellement, les cinq français avaient pris place dans le Van et sont donc
pris dans une folle-course poursuite avec la police. Zigzags, hurlement,
prière ont été le lot de cette folle excursion. Après avoir fait plusieurs
kilomètres, le taxi clandestin heurte un camion postal dans les quartiers
est de New York. Le chauffeur et son associé se sont jetés hors du véhicule.
Ils ont été rapidement arrêtés par les policiers qui les ont braqués avec
leurs armes. Pendant ce temps-là, une des touristes s'est jetée hors du taxi
également. Blessé au bras, elle a été transportée au Jamaica Hospital. Tous
les autres touristes s'en sont sortis indemne. Bon démarrage pour ces
français, qui ont sans doute cru faire parti d'un film d'action hollywoodien
sur le coup...

Old June 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_147_]

Martin wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:32:21 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
wrote:

'We are happy to be here; we love New York and New Yorkers,' Claudie
Mamane said through a French translator. 'We never lost faith. And
at any time we never thought it would end badly for us.'

Frightened she was going to be deported after she had taken the wrong
flight to Lourdes

Lol...

--
Best
Greg

Old June 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_147_]

Martin wrote:

wrote:

'We are happy to be here; we love New York and New Yorkers,'
Claudie Mamane said through a French translator. 'We never lost
faith. And at any time we never thought it would end badly for us.'

Frightened she was going to be deported after she had taken the
wrong flight to Lourdes

Lol...

She was confused by scRunges filthy monastic habits.

Speaking of feelthy "monasts", one wonders what Mixi is up to these
daze...???

I just installed some new air con and I wuz "thinking" of him...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Old June 25th, 2009, 07:24 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Konstabel Els

On Jun 25, 5:32*pm, "Gregory Morrow" wrote:
[...]

sounds like India.....

Old June 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge16

Default NYC Police Arrestmorrow drinking booze in the streets

hohoho morrow and martin, 2 turds together

"Gregory Morrow" a écrit dans le message de
m...

Old June 25th, 2009, 10:35 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.europe
Runge16

Default evleth invites morrow to dinner but the missus dun like that...

Poor evleth, incapable of translating a simple article

"Earl Evleth" a écrit dans le message de
On 25/06/09 17:32, in article
, "Gregory Morrow"