more things to do in Portland, OR?

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:51 PM
lilacjennifer

Default more things to do in Portland, OR?

I made the post requesting ideas of things to do while in Portland, Orgeon
last year and now that we've done all those top 10 things, I'm looking for
more.

We'll be visiting my aunt for one week, end of June through 6 July and
searching for more activities and day trips.

Here's what we've already done:

Japanese Gardens, Rose Garden, Chinese Garden, Saturday Market, boat trip
down Willamette, Powell's Books, big Japanese supermarket (forgot the
name),trip to Seattle, trip to Mt. Hood, Multahomah Falls, trip to Mt. St.
Helen, trip to coast, Cannon Beach, Tillamook Cheese Factory.
Surely I'm forgetting a couple of things but if its in the top 10 list,
we've been there, done that.

Also we tried all the restaurants recommended and liked all of them. Now we
are looking for a good Japanese Steakhouse so we don't have to go to
Behihana again.

Any other ideas? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, where would be a good place to view fireworks on 4th of July? My aunt
lives in Beaverton.

Jennifer in Houston

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:56 PM
lilacjennifer

one more detail....

My daughters are ages 10 and 14. They want to go to a waterpark. We have
two in Houston but with it being so hot here in the summer, its more of a
popular thing down here than it would be in the Pac NW. Did a search, but
didn't find one.

Jennifer

Old May 5th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Bill Meng

Have you been up the Columbia Gorge? Try Trader Joes to pick up some
yuppie food(chocolate covered apricots). I don't know if they have any
in Texas.

Old May 5th, 2004, 11:10 PM
John Chapman

[...]

Mom (80), who owns a place in Cannon beach, wants to check out an air
museum at McMinnville, wherever that is! JOHN
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Peter L

"John Chapman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It's in McMinnville, of course. It's where the Spruce Goose is.

http://www.sprucegoose.org/

Old May 5th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Walt Tucker

Try these (you might have already done some, but didn't mention them in
your posting):

-- Oregon Zoo
-- Tyron Creek State Park near Lake Oswego
-- Mary S. Young State Park, also near Lake Oswego
-- Champoeg State Park (near Wilsonville)
-- Columbia Gorge (get off the main road and visit more than just
Multnomah
Falls; try Oneta Gorge, Wahclella Falls, Eagle Creek
Trail,
Clouds Rest, Bonneville
Dam and Fish Hatchery; or places on the Washington side;
pick up a good hiking book for suggestions)
-- Oregon Museum of Science and Industy (OMSI)
-- Oregon Trail Museum (Oregon City)
-- Oaks Park
-- Lewis River county park near Battleground, WA
-- Maryhill Museum near Goldendale, WA
-- A.C. Gilbert Children's Museum in Salem
-- Oregon Winery Loop
-- Hagg Lake
-- Blue Lake park
-- Take a drive through the northern Willamette Valley (combine
with Winery tour if
you want), picking a route that takes you over the
Wheatland Ferry, Canby
Ferry, and by some of the covered bridges. Stop at
produce stands.
-- Outlet mall stores at either Woodburn or Troutdale
-- Silver Falls State Park (10 waterfalls, near Silverton)
-- Oregon Garden (also near Silverton)
-- Ka-Nee-Ta (Resort on the Warm Springs Indian reservation; can
do as a day trip)
-- Mary's Peak near Corvallis (combine with a trip to Newport)
-- Head to the Bend area for a couple of days and visit the high
desert museum,
Lava Butte, Sunriver, etc.

You didn't mention what part of the Oregon coast you went to before. If
you went to the northern coast (Astoria/Warrenton) last time, try the
central coast (Lincoln City/Newport) this time. Or vice versa. It's
all different. Stuff on the northern coast include Fort Clatsop, Fort
Stevens (jetty, military forts, and beaches), Cape Disappointment,
Columbia River Maritime Museum, Astoria Column, Seaside, and Cannon
Beach. On the way, pack a lunch and swing off the road to Spruce Run
county park, Saddle Mountain State Park (hike to the top) or Ecola State
Park for a picnic. For movie buffs, there is a "Goonies" movie tour out
of Astoria (other films done in the area include Kindergarten Cop, Free
Willy, Short Circuit, and one of the Benji movies; "The Ring II" is
supposed to begin filming there soon. On the central coast, visit the
Oregon Coast Acquarium, Hatfield Marine Science Center, Cape Perpetua,
Oregon Dunes, Heceta Head, Newport Bayfront, and various beaches and
lighthouses along the way.

Not sure which boat trip you took on the Willamette. If you took the
Portland Spirit last time, take the jet boats this time. If you took
the jet boats last time, take the Portland Spirit this time. Or, do the
sternwheeler out on the Columbia River out of Cascade Locks.

Get the kids out of the car and have them do some hiking. There are
lots and lots of trails in and around Portland, through the woods, in
the mountains, to lakes and waterfalls, and so on.

For July 4th fireworks, the ones in Vancouver are the biggest. Near
Beaverton, the ones at the Washington County fairgounds used to be the
second largest, not sure if that is still true. We usually head to
Canby, because it is close. Lake Oswego and downtown Portland also have
fireworks. If you are really adventurous, head down to Seaside and
watch the fireworks while sitting on the beach (they shoot the fireworks
over the ocean from the turnaround). Go early and plan on staying late,
as the Seaside fireworks draws big crowds. Given that seaside is a
resort town with rides and arcades, the kids would probably had a good
time wasting away the afternoon before the fireworks start.

Sorry, not much in the way of waterparks around Portland. If it is hot,
try visiting a local lake for the day instead. Within an hour or so of
Beaverton, try Hagg Lake, Rooster Rock (on the Columbia River), Blue
Lake park, North Fork Resevoir, Lake Merwyn, or Yale Resevoir. A little
farther away (about 1 1/2 hours), try Foster resevoir or Detroit Lake.

-- Walt

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Ryan S

As far as fireworks are concerned, the ones in Vancouver are
definitely the biggest. They are at Fort Vancouver, which might be
fun for the kids as well - try http://www.nps.gov/fova/ .

If you're looking for water parks, the only one I know of is in
Federal Way, WA, about 1/2 way between Seattle and Tacoma. That would
be about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Portland though.

Up on Mount Hood at the Ski Bowl ski area, there are the alpine
slides. These are like carts with wheels that go down the mountain on
a special track. It's great fun in the summer, and you can control
the slides so you can go as fast or as slow as you want. It's about
an hour from the metro area - see:
http://www.skibowl.com/winter/attractions.html . Also note that this
is only open when it is not raining.

Hope this helps. Email if you need anything else.

Old May 8th, 2004, 11:36 PM
CoastWatcher

Probably others have already told you but there is a great air museum in
Tilamuck(sp) which is much closer to Cannon Beach.