Digital pictures and computer - advice needed

Old November 21st, 2003, 12:14 AM
J Morgan

Default Digital pictures and computer - advice needed

I am buying a laptop to take on cruises to use with my digital camera.

The big question is - Do I need a Pentium, or will a Celeron do?

I am currently using a Sony DSC-S85 camera.

There is about $500 difference in the purchase price for similarly equipped
models of Sony laptops.

Advice needed.

Thank you.

John

Old November 21st, 2003, 01:25 AM
M. Souris

If you're only worried about storage for the image files, the slower
machine should be fine.

Old November 21st, 2003, 02:26 AM
Tom & Linda

Get the Pentium lad.

Go with what always works.

If you want to save money, ask if they have any Pentium III's at good
prices. You may not need a Pentium IV, but you do want the reliability
of a Pentium. I'd rather have an older Pentium III than the Celeron.

--Tom

Old November 21st, 2003, 02:30 AM
Lloyd Parsons

Tom, today's Celeron IS a Pentium III -- it has little, if any
resemblance to previous ones. P4's and Celeron's are both built on the
same die set.

I should know, computers are my business.

Lloyd

Old November 21st, 2003, 02:54 AM
BJ

Computers are also my business and I am an AMD man. But Lloyd is totally
correct about the Celeron being quite sufficient for working with pictures
on a cruise....Bob

Old November 21st, 2003, 02:59 AM
Lloyd Parsons

I only sell and work on the PC's, I'm an Apple user myself.

Plug it in, it just works! G

Lloyd

Old November 21st, 2003, 03:02 AM
Robert Nabors

Buy the lightest laptop you can buy, and one that can burn CD-RW disks. If
you burn the files on a CD, magnetic fields can not damage the photos, and
the number you can take home is unlimited. I took about a 1,000 photos on
my recent 7 day trip to Machu Picchu, and will be taking the laptop, Sotec
3120X on my next 31 day cruise. Each night on a trip, I burn the photos on a
CD, but also leave the photos on the hard disc. I have a Digital Wallet,
but don't use it anymore because laptop suffices.

You can see some of my photos at:

http://www1.hagenhosting.com/~nabors...cchuindex.html

The Sotec 3120X has the following features:

Built-in DVD+CD-RW Combo Drive
High Resolution 12.1 XGA Color TFT LCD
Intel 1.2 GHz Mobile Celeron
256 MB Ram and 20 GB hard drive
High Capacity Smart Lithium Ion Battery
56K Modem, 10/100 Network, USB Ports
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Works 6.0 Easy CD Creator & WinDVD
Magnesium Alloy Casing
Weight 4 pounds

I also use a wireless card that inserts in the side of the computer.

I paid $749.49 for the Sotec at "Best Buy."

I have another laptop, but it is far too heavy for traveling. So far, the
Sotec has exceeded my expectations.

Robert

Old November 21st, 2003, 03:39 AM

J Morgan wrote:
The big question is - Do I need a Pentium, or will a Celeron do?

You are talking about a notebook - that is a Mobile Celeron, which is a
fine CPU.
Here are specs on it:

http://www.intel.com/products/notebo..._note_celeron&

--
________________________________
Klecko's Komrades. All the way in 2003

Old November 21st, 2003, 04:20 AM
Mike Cordelli

If it's just to download pictures to, nothing else of any real use for hours
on end at a time, then any laptop that the camera can plug into is just
fine. Get the cheapest one you can. The Celeron will be more then enough.

If you are thinking of movies, digital editing, and the rest then get the
Pentium.

Old November 21st, 2003, 03:23 PM
ccsuwxman

"J Morgan" wrote in message
I am buying a laptop to take on cruises to use with my digital camera.

The big question is - Do I need a Pentium, or will a Celeron do?

I am currently using a Sony DSC-S85 camera.

There is about $500 difference in the purchase price for similarly

equipped
models of Sony laptops.

Advice needed.

Thank you.

John

In my opinion, you don't need the Pentium for digital imaging. But get it
anyway, because in the world of computers, buying on the cheap means faster
obsolescence.

My father-in-law, RIP, gave me this piece of advice, which is so often
true....'Buy the best...cry once."