Currancy Exchange

Old December 21st, 2004, 05:32 AM
Geoff Lillico

Whilst not specifically relating to ATMs, the following might be of
interest -
http://www.ballarat.edu.au/ard/resea...ndRegional.doc

Geoff Lillico

www.the-commissioner.com

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
Geoff Lillico wrote:
I was simply concerned that "rural" might be interpreted by some as
anything
outside of the capital cities.

Fair enough! For my education, can you (try to) give a description of
what is meant by "rural", so that I can check if my interpretation/
usage of the term is (more or less) correct? Thanks.

Old December 21st, 2004, 05:52 AM
Dominic Kelly

FWIW, I have successfully used an Australian ATM card (Woolies banking,
thru CBA) linked to 'Cirrus' or 'Maestro', as an EFTPOS card in the USA
recently. Even got 'cashback' (called 'cashout' here, I think). The same
card also worked fine when used as an EFTPOS card at the 'pay at the pump'
facilites at gas stations there.

Dom

"A Mate" wrote in message
Sorry - I misread your reply.

In fact EFTPOS has never worked for me, outside Australia, not even in

NZ!!

I 'run' a Visa (Plus affiliated) card, which is linked to an overdraft
facility as well as having an inbuilt credit limit. A sort of hybrid
debit/credit card - not uncommon in Australia. I can withdraw cash up to

my
balance + my credit limit.

It has worked as an ATM card in locations as disparate as Turkey,

Canada,
Vietnam, Rome, Ireland etc etc; but I've never been able to use it for
eftpos outside Australia!!

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
A Mate wrote:
Frank,
Plus is the Visa cash network - and while possibly unknown by name

many
Europeans - in existence throughout virtually all the 'electronically
connected' world. There are many interlocking and overlapping

networks
operating almost everywhere - most ATMs carry logos from the common
networks
in their neck of the woods only - but your bank should be able to

tell
you
just which worldwide networks your card will operate on!!

There would be very few cards which are not affiliated with Plus!!

Note that I was talking about withdrawing money from an *EFTPOS*
establishment (i.e. a shop, service station, etc.), *not* from an

*ATM*.

*ATMs* are indeed no problem for our European/Dutch debit cards (nor

for
our credit cards), but, as I wrote/detailed, *EFTPOS* *is*, as far as
withdrawing money is concerned (for both our credit cards and our

debit
cards). FWIW, two of the non-working cards were issued by ABN-AMRO
(perhaps known as ABN in Oz), which is a well-known world-wide bank.

Bottom line: Don't assume that a *foreign* credit (or debit) card

will
work for *withdrawing* money from *EFTPOS*.

Sorry for all the emphasis, but few people seem to understand the
difference between pay/withdraw, credit/debit and ATM/EFTPOS.

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
A Mate wrote:
Travellers Cheques are no longer used much. ATM's are almost
everywhere
(even in the outback you can withdraw money through your

credit
card
using
eftpos).

In our experience [1], that (withdrawing money using EFTPOS)

only
works for a *debit* card and then only for the *right* debit

card. A
(non-Oz) MasterCard credit card does *not* work an nor does a
European
"Europas" or "Worldpass" debit card. So beware. Hence my earlier
advice.

Theoretically using a credit card with the Plus symbol on it

should
enable
you to withdraw direct from your Chequing account, or your savings
account,
whichever is connected on the card. However I would not bet on it.
Several
months ago we were in Europe (Netherlands) and tried to withdraw

from
my
cheque account but the ATMs in Holland wouldn't let me do it! I
checked
with
the bank (owning two of those ATMs and their staff didn't have a

clue
as
what the Plus symbol meant. So I gave up and used the credit card
normally.
Placed a fairly large credit onto the card account and so saved
interest
charges on withdrawals.
BTW the Plus function works in Australia and Singapore. But if

your
own
bank
has a problem with this you could still be in hot water if you are
relying
on it.

Indeed, "Plus" is unknown in The Netherlands and probably in most

of
Europe and quite possibly also in the UK where the OP is from.

That is why I posted what I posted: I.e. Australians should not

assume
that just because they can do some thing with *their* (i.e.

Australian)
cards, that 'foreigners' can do the same with their (foreign)

cards.

So it would be nice if another person from the UK could post

his/her
positive/negative experience with withdrawing money from an

Australian
EFTPOS establishment.

Old December 21st, 2004, 07:28 AM

In Australia, withdrawing cash at the shop is called "cashout", or
"EFTPOS cashout". Cashout is only available with EFTPOS. Cashout is
not available when doing a VISA / MasterCard purchase transaction
(regardless of where the VISA / MasterCard card was issued).

To make things clear, "EFTPOS" is where you swipe your card through the
terminal at the shop, press the "cheque" or "savings" button (not the
"credit" button) on the terminal, check the amount, and then enter your
PIN (4 - 12 digits). The funds are immediately withdrawn from your account.

As far as I am aware, the only overseas-issued card that will work for
EFTPOS transactions in Australia (and hence the only overseeas-issued
card that could possibly be used for EFTPOS cashout) is the
(overseas-issued) Maestro card. However, unlike Australian cards, the
(overseas-issued) Maestro card will only work at EFTPOS merchants using
the Commonwealth Bank as their acquirer.

http://www.maestrocard.com

Among the major Commonwealth Bank EFTPOS merchants (they display the
Maestro sticker) are Woolworths / Big W, and Australia Post.

So for the major supermarkets in Australia, the (overseas-issued)
Maestro card should work at Woolworths (Commonwealth Bank EFTPOS
merchant), but not at Coles (National Australia Bank EFTPOS merchant).

Note:
* I am not aware of anyone actually having done this transaction.
* I don't know which button you would need to push - cheque or savings.
You may have to try both, or either might work.
* EFTPOS merchants set their own policies regarding EFTPOS cashout.
Supermarkets allow up to about $500 cashout. Many EFTPOS merchants have
a policy of "No EFTPOS cashout", such as Australia Post (Post Offices).

Frank Slootweg wrote:

Guys, can you *please* pay attention? As I have mentioned umpteen
times in *this* thread, "taking cash out with a purchase" at EFTPOS does
*not* work with *foreign* (debit/credit) cards. As this is a travel
group and many people, including the OP, are not from Oz, please do not
give advice which happens to work for you, but does not work for
foreigners.

Let's make this deal: Until there is a reliable report from a
'foreigner' (with exact details about the type and brand of card (s)he
used) that it *is* possible, the Aussies in this group will refrain from
saying that it is possible to take cash out with a purchase at EFTPOS.

So I called you on, apparently, not reading the "*foreign*
(debit/credit) cards" bit in the part which you quoted. And by the way,
that was not the first time I mentioned foreign cards (in this thread).
I have been doing that all along (as soon as the withdrawing money from
EFTPOS came up), the first time on "Date: 14 Dec 2004 14:08:42 GMT",
i.e. six days earlier, in .

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Anyway, all this is rather moot because, as I said, your quote from
the website confirms what I have experienced and have been saying all
along, namely that foreign cards do not work for withdrawing money (from
EFTPOS).

Old December 21st, 2004, 12:02 PM
Dave Campbell

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
artwahh wrote:
We are travelling to Oz very shortly. We are seeking advice on the best
way
to take the cash there. We have debit cards, credit cards and money in
the
savings. Do we get travellers cheques? or take our cards??????

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

A credit card and a spare one (in case anything happens to the first
one) and some cash (drawn from an ATM upon arrival) to get you through
the next few days (in case there is no ATM, it is
closed/broken/empty/limited/etc.).

Mind that yo don't keep all your cards together (I just sent my wallet on an
unaccompanied cab ride around Singapore) and check that cancelling a primary
card won't automatically disable your backups.

Dave Campbell

Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM
Dave Proctor

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:28:00 +0900, z wrote:

In Australia, withdrawing cash at the shop is called "cashout", or
"EFTPOS cashout". Cashout is only available with EFTPOS. Cashout is
not available when doing a VISA / MasterCard purchase transaction
(regardless of where the VISA / MasterCard card was issued).

It has been known to happen however.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM
AlmostBob

I have Australian Credit Union, Visa card ANZ master card, and live in
Canada, and get Visa cash outs at 'interact' terminals the Canadian eftpos
weekly for the last two years, Mastercard no cashout. I asked both banks b4
leaving Aus.. It must be able to be programmed onto visa card somehow, or in
the system somewhere, whether the card is permitted to cash out

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Old December 23rd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Dave Proctor

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:52:03 GMT, "AlmostBob"
wrote:

I have Australian Credit Union, Visa card ANZ master card, and live in
Canada, and get Visa cash outs at 'interact' terminals the Canadian eftpos
weekly for the last two years, Mastercard no cashout. I asked both banks b4
leaving Aus.. It must be able to be programmed onto visa card somehow, or in
the system somewhere, whether the card is permitted to cash out

It is a mindlessly trivial thing to do, as long as the credit card
system is not linked to the cash register - i.e. a stand alone system.

If the stuff you are buying is worth $45.20 (as an example) and you
want $30 cash, you just run the charge through for $75.20.

Dave

=====

Old December 23rd, 2004, 07:53 PM
Frank Slootweg

wrote:

I have Australian Credit Union, Visa card ANZ master card, and live in
Canada, and get Visa cash outs at 'interact' terminals the Canadian eftpos
weekly for the last two years, Mastercard no cashout. I asked both banks b4
leaving Aus.. It must be able to be programmed onto visa card somehow, or in
the system somewhere, whether the card is permitted to cash out

It is a mindlessly trivial thing to do, as long as the credit card
system is not linked to the cash register - i.e. a stand alone system.

If the stuff you are buying is worth $45.20 (as an example) and you
want $30 cash, you just run the charge through for $75.20.

But that's exactly the problem! In most shops they *are* 'linked'.
Hence my "Date: 14 Dec 2004 14:08:42 GMT" response
) .

I.e. in your scenario, the cash register (till?) will have a shortage
of $30 and the credit card account/registration/whatever will have a
surplus of $30 (for 'good/services' payed, but not delivered).

In most shops, the *attendant* (i.e. not owner) will not be able to
cleanup the resulting administrative/accounting mess and therefor will
be unable to help you out. Only in *exceptional* situations like the one
I described (i.e. the owneress of a caravanpark helping us out), will
you be able to get cash from these *normal*, 'linked' systems.

So what you describe is (IMO) the *exception* not the rule. We tried
at four shops (In Leigh Creek) (and the caravanpark (in Copley)) and
only the caravanpark owneress could help us out.

So I repeat my very first advice (for *foreign* travellers): Get some
cash (drawn from an ATM) to get you through the next few days (in case
there is no ATM, it is closed/broken/empty/limited/etc.).

Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:08 PM
Peter

In article , Frank Slootweg
says...

So I repeat my very first advice (for *foreign* travellers): Get some
cash (drawn from an ATM) to get you through the next few days (in case
there is no ATM, it is closed/broken/empty/limited/etc.).

We could link this one to the "Security in Sidney" thread for a
discussion on getting money without a valid card...