Visiting Sydney Area for 11 days

Old October 13th, 2008, 05:13 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Vic[_2_]

Default Visiting Sydney Area for 11 days

Hi,
I have planned 11 days for vacation following some business in Sydney
in December. My wife and I have never been but it has been my wife's
dream. We have no idea what to do. I have considered getting a place
in Sydney and just exploring perhaps. Also, we wondered about a train
or something adventurous to get-us off of the beaten-path a bit...we
have traveled a few places around the world so are a little
adventurous (we don't like dangerous however).

We would surely like any suggestions or past examples how to spend 11
days, originating and ending in Sydney.

~Vic
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:13:35 -0700 (PDT), Vic
wrote:

Hi,
I have planned 11 days for vacation following some business in Sydney
in December. My wife and I have never been but it has been my wife's
dream. We have no idea what to do. I have considered getting a place
in Sydney and just exploring perhaps. Also, we wondered about a train
or something adventurous to get-us off of the beaten-path a bit...we
have traveled a few places around the world so are a little
adventurous (we don't like dangerous however).

We would surely like any suggestions or past examples how to spend 11
days, originating and ending in Sydney.

~Vic

What are your interests?

The basics would include a few days in the central city
area, to see the CBD, take some ferry rides on the harbour
and across to Manly, wander Hyde Park, go up to view the
city from above from Australia Square, go to the Opera House
and see a show, or just to see the Opera House, go to Bondi
and Manly for swimming or just seeing the beaches and so on.

For lots of those I would buy a day pass that gives you
travel on the buses, ferries and trains in the inner city
area.

Go to other places for day trips - or stay overnight. The
Blue Mountains are a couple of hours West on the train.
Broken Bay at the mouth of the Hawkesbury is an hour or so
to the North - get off at Brooklyn or Gosford and wander the
smaller places or take a boat ride. Cessnock is about three
hours North via train and is the jumping-off point for the
Hunter Valley wineries, or go to Newcastle which is a little
closer and better served by trains, with it's own history of
coal and shipping.

The Zoo is a short ferry ride from Circular Quay and other
fauna parks are within easy reach. For flora visit the
Botanical Gardens.

Further inland by train are regional towns and cities with
their own style and local history. Look up Bathurst, Lithgow
and Bowral on the web for examples.

Just some ideas.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:46 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
DerekF

"Vic" wrote in message
Hi,
I have planned 11 days for vacation following some business in Sydney
in December. My wife and I have never been but it has been my wife's
dream. We have no idea what to do. I have considered getting a place
in Sydney and just exploring perhaps. Also, we wondered about a train
or something adventurous to get-us off of the beaten-path a bit...we
have traveled a few places around the world so are a little
adventurous (we don't like dangerous however).

We would surely like any suggestions or past examples how to spend 11
days, originating and ending in Sydney.

~Vic

We spent a weekend of our time in Sydney on a side trip to the Port Stephens
area North of Newcastle and easy to get to by bus and train.
There are package trips to the Blue Mountains but we did it on our own. Air
fares are
quite cheap you could quite easily even fit in a trip to Melbourne.
Derek.