help to plan a UK, EUROPE trip for family of 5

Old May 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
stsbj5

Default help to plan a UK, EUROPE trip for family of 5

Hi, we are wondering if there is anyone that can help us get started on
planning a holiday in the uk, we would both like to work in the UK, and
travel europe at the same time.
We would like to stay for one year or two, we have never been outside
of the state that we live in, so we have no idea on where to start
planning?
we dont know about visa's. or where to get passports from and what
order to do things,
We know its going to be costly, and time consuming. we would like to
leave around 2011, which is a ways away but we want to be prepared!
Please Help Us!!!!
Cheers

--
stsbj5
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On May 12, 11:12*am, stsbj5
wrote:
Hi, we are wondering if there is anyone that can help us get started on
planning a holiday in the uk, we would both like to work in the UK, and
travel europe at the same time.
We would like to stay for one year or two, we have never been outside
of the state that we live in, so we have no idea on where to start
planning?
we dont know about visa's. or where to get passports from and what
order to do things,
We know its going to be costly, and time consuming. we would like to
leave around 2011, which is a ways away but we want to be prepared!
Please Help Us!!!!
Cheers

--
stsbj5
Message origin:www.TRAVEL.com

Canīt help with the basics, but when you get to Europe and want to
travel, remember that here in the Alicante mountains of Spain thereīs
a tiny village called Sella where we run a variety of different types
of accommodation, Check out the websites below. Welcome to Europe!
Steve Green
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"stsbj5" wrote in message

Hi, we are wondering if there is anyone that can help us get started on
planning a holiday in the uk, we would both like to work in the UK, and
travel europe at the same time.
We would like to stay for one year or two, we have never been outside
of the state that we live in, so we have no idea on where to start
planning?
we dont know about visa's. or where to get passports from and what
order to do things,
We know its going to be costly, and time consuming. we would like to
leave around 2011, which is a ways away but we want to be prepared!
Please Help Us!!!!
Cheers

--
stsbj5
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

If I (as a UK citizen) want to come and work in the USA I have to go get a
UK passport first. Then, to the US embassy in London, fill out all kinds
of forms and, probably most important, prove that nobody (and I mean NOBODY)
in the USA can do the job I want to undertake. And there's a bit of a
catch 22 because companies in the USA can't offer me a job until I have the
correct visa and I can't get a visa without a job offer. It can be done,
but it's not easy.

The same rules apply for US citizens coming the other way. Get a passport
and then ask the UK embassy in Washington about work permits etc.

Possibly one of the best solutions is to get a job with a US corporation
that has an office in the UK and get transferred here. Then your employer
helps with the legwork.

Now, once you've got the job and the paperwork sorted there are all sorts of
other issues. Where to live? People renting you a house will want to
know you can pay. That means you'll need a bank account. To open an
account you need a UK address. Haven't got one because you can't rent one
because you haven't got a bank account because you can't open one because
you can't open an account because.......? Again it's solvable but it needs
planning. What are you going to do with the place you live in now? If
it's a rental fine, just walk away (well, give notice etc) but if you own it
are you going to rent it (will your mortgage company let you do that?)?
Your US driving licence is only valid here for a short period (might be a
year) then you have to pass the UK test - I believe they are harder here
than in many US states.

I'll stop there but there's lots more.

Old May 12th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"stsbj5" wrote in message

Hi, we are wondering if there is anyone that can help us get started on
planning a holiday in the uk, we would both like to work in the UK, and
travel europe at the same time.

Unless you have some very special skills your chance of getting a
working visa is not high in the current economic climate.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...kpermitholders

Keith

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"stsbj5" wrote in message
Hi, we are wondering if there is anyone that can help us get started on
planning a holiday in the uk, we would both like to work in the UK, and
travel europe at the same time.

Unless you have some very special skills your chance of getting a
working visa is not high in the current economic climate.

Yes, Woolworths have closed down. Tesco still needs shelf-stackers though!