Philippines Visas

Old January 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

Default Philippines Visas

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:10:34 +0100 (CET), George Orwell
wrote:

I am getting conflicting information on requirements to get an extension
on entry to the Philippines to the 21 day limit for U.S. Citizens.

Some say I need to have a return ticket back to USA to get an extension
on entry to the Phil, and others say that I only need a ticket or
electronic ticket showing onward flight to another country within the 21
day limit.

I can save considerable money by buying a one way ticket and then a
ticket to say Thailand or some other country rather than buying a return
ticket back to USA. Will that disqualify me from getting a 60 day
extension on entry to Phil? The reason for the one way ticket is that I
am uncertain if/when I will return back to my home Country.

Or does it depend on whether the immig. agent got laid the night before
or how much bribe money I give him? What factors goven whether or not
they will give an extension on entry?

They will not give you an extension on entry whatever kind of ticket
you hold. You'll get 21 days and you then need to go to the Bureau of
Immigration to apply for an extension to allow you to stay for up to
59 days.

As for the ticket requirement, you need to hold an onward or return
ticket. They don't care what destination that ticket is for as long as
it takes you out of the country.

Chris
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 06:38:46 +0000 (UTC), SteveS
wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

May I ask your source for this information? I have been told
differently by a travel agent over 20 yrs. specializing in travel to
the Phil. I was advised to have a return ticket back to country of
origin.

You were given incorrect advice.

I have lived in the Philippines for over ten years and my source of
information is the Philippines Department of Foreign Affairs. If you
care to take a look at their web page at

http://www.dfa.gov.ph/consular/visa.htm

you will see the statement:

"Nationals from countries listed below who are traveling to the
Philippines for business and tourism purposes are allowed to enter the
Philippines without visas for a stay not exceeding twenty-one (21)
days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to
port of origin or next port of destination."

There is at least one post in the forums fron a guy that claims he
received a 59 day extension at the aiport of entry (Manila, I
believe it was), directly from Phil immigration there.

If you apply for a tourist visa in advance of your travel you will be
given 59 days stay on arrival. If you arrive without a visa you get 21
days.

At the bottom of the same web page I referred to above you will also
see the procedures for obtaining an extension mentioned. This involves
making a separate visit to a Bureau of Immigration office to obtain an
extension. They will not deal with such an application at the time of
your arrival in the country. I can't explain any claim to the contrary
which you may have seen on some forum.

How common is it for them to deny an extension in any case from any
point of application?

They are quite unlikely to deny an extension without good reason.

Chris
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
SteveS

Chris Blunt wrote in
:

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 06:38:46 +0000 (UTC), SteveS
wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks much Chris for the elaboration. P'Off that travel agent gave
me erroneous info.