Paris metro: Carte Orange Vs Paris Visite

Old September 26th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Eugene

Default Paris metro: Carte Orange Vs Paris Visite

I am confused as to what the difference is between these Paris metro
cards: Carte Orange (zones 1-3) and Paris Visite (zones 1-3). I
understand that Paris Visite is meant for tourists and that Carte
Orange lasts 7 days as opposed to 3 days for Paris Visite. However,
Paris Visite must be better in something, otherwise it wouldn't cost
more! Someone please help!

thanks
Old September 26th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Larry Finch

Eugene wrote:

I am confused as to what the difference is between these Paris metro
cards: Carte Orange (zones 1-3) and Paris Visite (zones 1-3). I
understand that Paris Visite is meant for tourists and that Carte
Orange lasts 7 days as opposed to 3 days for Paris Visite. However,
Paris Visite must be better in something, otherwise it wouldn't cost
more! Someone please help!

thanks

Carte Orange is meant for commuters and thus is for a calendar week,
Monday to Sunday. You also can't get it for the current week after
Wednesday. So if your trip doesn't fit that model Paris Visite may be
better. But for most people Paris Visite is a ripoff.

Consider also a Zone 1-5 Carte Orange. You can use it to and from CDG on
either the Roisybus or the RER. The cost differential is far less than
the 16 Euros it would otherwise cost round trip from CDG.

You also need a photo for Carte Orange but not for Paris Visite. The
added hassle may be a consideration. Finally, even if the Paris Visite
is a ripoff the cost of public transportation is going to be a truly
tiny element in the total cost of a trip to Paris, so it isn't worth
thinking about for more than 5 minutes.

Larry
--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old September 26th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Thomas Adams

Larry Finch wrote:

Finally, even if the Paris Visite
is a ripoff the cost of public transportation is going to be a truly
tiny element in the total cost of a trip to Paris, so it isn't worth
thinking about for more than 5 minutes.

Cost considerations aside, a Carte Orange makes you appear less like a
tourist which might be worth something depending on where you go.

--
np : -
Old September 26th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:21:56 GMT, Larry Finch
wrote:

Eugene wrote:

[...]

It's really not much of a hassle, especially if you bring your
own passport-sized photo. Under similar circumstances in London
we used a photo machine on the train station concourse.

Finally, even if the Paris Visite
is a ripoff the cost of public transportation is going to be a truly
tiny element in the total cost of a trip to Paris, so it isn't worth
thinking about for more than 5 minutes.

It's not the transportation part that's the rip-off. Teh Paris
Visite costs quite a bit because it also includes two-for-one and
discount admissions for a bunch of museums and sights that you
probably wouldn't want to see unless you were on your fifth trip
to Paris and tired of the good places.

Old September 27th, 2003, 12:01 AM
JL

"Eugene" a écrit dans le message de
om...

However,
Paris Visite must be better in something, otherwise it wouldn't cost
more!

Yes, it's better in getting more tourist's moeny into public transportation
services...

JL.

Old September 27th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Mxsmanic

Eugene writes:

I am confused as to what the difference is between these Paris metro
cards: Carte Orange (zones 1-3) and Paris Visite (zones 1-3). I
understand that Paris Visite is meant for tourists and that Carte
Orange lasts 7 days as opposed to 3 days for Paris Visite. However,
Paris Visite must be better in something, otherwise it wouldn't cost
more!

Nope. Paris Visite costs more because it is sold exclusively to
tourists who cannot read French and don't know that there are other,
less expensive passes available. The only advantage of Paris Visite is
for the Paris transit authority, which makes a lot more money selling
them than it does with regular passes.

There are a few theoretical cases in which Paris Visite might be a good
deal, but you have to work hard to contrive them.

Old September 27th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Mxsmanic

Thomas Adams writes:

Cost considerations aside, a Carte Orange makes you appear less like a
tourist which might be worth something depending on where you go.

Unless you keep your transit pass pinned to your shirt, how would anyone
know?

Old September 27th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Rick Harrison

Thomas Adams wrote in message ...
Larry Finch wrote:

Finally, even if the Paris Visite
is a ripoff the cost of public transportation is going to be a truly
tiny element in the total cost of a trip to Paris, so it isn't worth
thinking about for more than 5 minutes.

Cost considerations aside, a Carte Orange makes you appear less like a
tourist which might be worth something depending on where you go.

I was just in Paris Sept 12-17. I bought a carte orange because it
was the closest thing I could find to a 3 day pass on the automated
ticket selling machines. Many of the entrances aren't manned and they
have ticket selling machines where you can get singles, 10 tickets (10
euros) or the week-long
orange ticket (about 14 euros). It was convienient,( takes credit
cards)
Just be sure of your dates, I bought mine on Saturday, and it wasn't
good until
Sunday, oh well.
Also remember to keep your ticket, at many metro stops, you have to
put your ticket through a reader to exit.
Old September 27th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Eugene

Thanks Larry,

It is clear now. Since I am arriving at CDG airport on a Friday
afternoon (staying 4 nights), it is best to buy a 3-day Carte Visite
plus one carnet. I have another question though, about the use of
Carte Visite: Does it expire 3 calendar days after first use, or 72
hours after first use? I need to know this in order to decide what to
use on Friday afternoon.

thanks again.

Old September 27th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Thomas Adams

Mxsmanic wrote:

Thomas Adams writes:

Cost considerations aside, a Carte Orange makes you appear less like a
tourist which might be worth something depending on where you go.

Unless you keep your transit pass pinned to your shirt, how would anyone
know?

I at least felt watched in certain Métro stations. But then again, I'm
a little bit paranoid.
--
np : -