Ideas whilst in Morocco?

Old September 15th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Sean

Default Ideas whilst in Morocco?

Hi all,
We're off to Marrakech then to Essaouira then finally into the Atlas
Mountains. Has anyone followed this itinerary is the any bits of
advice (i.e. things to see etc). Finally, what should my dress code be
(i.e. are shorts a definite no no)?
Many thanks
Sean
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Hans Schoelink

In towns/cities a would wear long trousers on the beach shorts are no
problem...

"Sean" schreef in bericht
m...

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Tashi

when are you going? I was there in Nov. the days in the Northern part
(Casa, Rabat, Fez, Meknes) were 1 day sun(20c-25c) cool nights, 1day rain.
This was for the whole week.
From Marrekesh however, it was sunny all the way, and the nights cool.
In Marrakech there is the main square where everyone sets up their markets,
try the orange stands for fresh squeezed orange juice (20durams for a 1/2
litre or something like that). There are tons of food stands(check out the
"live snails'**watch for bilharzia though!) and sheeps heads and fileted
brains. N'way, tons of shops etc.. there are some good restaurants
surrounding the market also,(can't remember the name of the one I went too
alot but it serves the local cuisine (try the chicken cous cous tajine
awesome!!) the restaurant is on the same side where you can rent bicycles,
has blue benches and a balcony looking over the market.
there are alot of shops within the medina maze just off the market... lots
of alleys and little shops and tons of people.
there are hotels for relatively cheap 90,000 durams just off the market.
take a horse and carriage ride around the whole city outside of the main
market.
*watch out for berber ladies within the market who want to "henna"(tatoo
made from Henna) you. they will say it's free then ask for $ after they do
it... they can be relentless..

if your into the hash seen they sell it everywhere, men with donkeys on the
road with carts full of hash.. it is illigal to smoke it on the streets..
Never went to Essaouria heard it was a very nice place though.
In the atlas mtns.... check out the cool writings on the sides of the mtns
in Arabic. Watch out for people who jump out in front of your car to sell
you "rocks"
beautiful scenery....take your time enjoy it.
if possible go a bit further to Erfoud or Mergouza and go for a camel trek
in the sahara..

as for dress etc... it is a predominatly Muslim country... keep this in
mind. There is enough of a mix of culture there(spanish, english, italian
etc..) that shorts and tees are allowed. However, to get a bit more
respect..... wear as the locals wear... Women although not neccessary should
cover their legs*think the respect thing . learn a bit of the language,
(yes, no thank you, etc) respect the culture and most of all remember your
in their country... but on the whole In the Northern part of Moroc... the
people are very aggressive(selling wise towards tourists) that is because
the majority of the population are unemployed under the age of 25. South of
Moroc it is better the people not as aggressive.
all in all I did not like the north part of Moroc.. Marrekesh and up... they
people are way too aggressive for my liking... I did love the south and the
desert though(drove all the way to Dahkla WS.)

have fun and especially watch for the notorious pickpockets....
tashi

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Miguel Cruz

Tashi wrote:
"Sean" wrote:
We're off to Marrakech then to Essaouira then finally into the Atlas
Mountains. Has anyone followed this itinerary is the any bits of
advice (i.e. things to see etc). Finally, what should my dress code be
(i.e. are shorts a definite no no)?

In Marrakech there is the main square where everyone sets up their markets,
try the orange stands for fresh squeezed orange juice (20durams for a 1/2
litre or something like that).

2 dirhams a glass is the going rate.

there are hotels for relatively cheap 90,000 durams just off the market.

I hope you mean 90 dirhams! (about US$10)

Never went to Essaouria heard it was a very nice place though.

Yes, it is. A wee bit boring after a while but very nice to just relax at
cafes, stroll along the beach, wander the market, explore the old
battlements, etc.

as for dress etc... it is a predominatly Muslim country... keep this in
mind. There is enough of a mix of culture there(spanish, english, italian
etc..) that shorts and tees are allowed. However, to get a bit more
respect..... wear as the locals wear... Women although not neccessary should
cover their legs*think the respect thing . learn a bit of the language,
(yes, no thank you, etc) respect the culture and most of all remember your
in their country...

All makes sense.

I've got a lot of photos of Marrakech (and a few from Essaouira) of a recent
trip to Morocco at http://travel.u.nu/country-ma.php

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 16th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Tashi

oh ya, go by Miguels prices, I tend to be finger happy with the zero's...
anyway it is very cheap there anyway.

Old September 18th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Sean

thanks everyone
Old September 24th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Blue Men of Morocco

A lot of good advice, I see.
Have fun.
yes, the people further south are gentler. Remember the Berbers and Arabs
have slightly different approaches.

Come visit us in Merzouga and go for a camel ride. I shall be there at out
place Haven La Chance in about a week.
A Canadian female student is going on a 6 day camel excursion. Should be
great for her.
I shall be her backup with transportation if needed.

There was rain in Merzouga 2 days ago.
Cool at nights in the Atlas now....

90 dirhams is ridiculously cheap. a 3 star hotel is about $50 for 2.
A nice cheap clean hotel by the square in Marrakech is 410 dirhams for 2
with breakfast.

Trousers - or skirts do best.(for females) away from the beach areas.
If you go during Ramadam, it is best to be decently covered- just out of
respect.

E. Elena Hall, Co Director Blue Men of Morocco Co. Visit us in Morocco!
http://www.bluemenofmorocco.com
"Sean" wrote in message
om...
thanks everyone

Old September 25th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Miguel Cruz

Blue Men of Morocco wrote:
90 dirhams is ridiculously cheap. a 3 star hotel is about $50 for 2.
A nice cheap clean hotel by the square in Marrakech is 410 dirhams for 2
with breakfast.

Hotel Ali is nice, spotlessly clean, and cheap with breakfast, private bath,
hot/cold water, etc., for about 100dh for 2. Its location is pretty much
third-best in all of the country (but specifically in Marrakech) to Hotel
CTM and whatever that other Fna-facing place is.

Only problem is that it's always full. Show up really early or make
reservations.