Queenstown to Christchurch

Old June 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Fozzy

Default Queenstown to Christchurch

We will be in New Zealand in September 3 weeks for a skiing holiday and will
be spending the first week at Wanaka and the second week at Queenstown.

We will be flying out of Christchurch and therefore have the last week to
wander up the South Island and probably have a ski at Mt Hutt at some stage.
We are considering travelling up the west coast....what are the thoughts of
others who have done this and what tourist things should we be looking
for.....the glacier obviously.

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Scotty

"Fozzy" wrote in message
We will be in New Zealand in September 3 weeks for a skiing holiday and
will be spending the first week at Wanaka and the second week at
Queenstown.

We will be flying out of Christchurch and therefore have the last week to
wander up the South Island and probably have a ski at Mt Hutt at some
stage. We are considering travelling up the west coast....what are the
thoughts of others who have done this and what tourist things should we be
looking for.....the glacier obviously.

A stay at Hanmer springs is a must of your going to cross over the Lewis
Pass. Beautiful at any time of the year. Is its snowing go to the hot pools
and get snowed on while your half naked in an outside pool. Its a must do.
Just take a warm towel!

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Dwayne

"Fozzy" wrote in message
We will be in New Zealand in September 3 weeks for a skiing holiday and
will be spending the first week at Wanaka and the second week at
Queenstown.

We will be flying out of Christchurch and therefore have the last week to
wander up the South Island and probably have a ski at Mt Hutt at some
stage. We are considering travelling up the west coast....what are the
thoughts of others who have done this and what tourist things should we be
looking for.....the glacier obviously.

IMO the best skiing is in Wanaka, TC (Treble Cone) is by far the best skiing
in NZ. I was staying at the Wanaka Hotel last spring along with the US and
French ski teams (they ski TC). Youth prefers TC and "older" people prefer
Cardrona. Cornet Peak is the best for intermediate skiers, and
intermediate/advance (ie: me). I wasn't that impressed by The Remarkables, I
would have rather skied at TC one more time. Also your rented equipment will
be of better quality in Wanaka.

You may want to rent a car in Christchurch and drive it through Arthur's
Pass (beautiful) then down the west cost. The down to Queenstown and finally
back up to Christchurch. The other way around works as well.

Take the Gondola in Queenstown and the walk the Ben Lomond Track up to the
Saddle (postcard view of Queenstown). Don't bother with the Paradise Lost
tour, renting a car and buying the Lord of the Rings Guide book is way
better.

Rent a car and take a few day to go to Te Anua and Milford. Don't take the
bus from Queenstown. Half the fun of Milford is driving the road. I could
easily spend 12 hour on the road to Milford, stay over night, then take the
cruise. Finally drive back and stop off here and there again.

Consider going the Fox & Franz Joseph Glaciers. In September you will have
snow on the glacier, and will be able to cover more ground. The Heli-hike on
Franz is excellent. Or you spend a day and learn to Ice Climb. Don't for
get to go to Lake Matheson.

Enjoy!

Dwayne

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Terry Simmons

In article VyMpe.1606143$8l.1414424@pd7tw1no, "Dwayne"
wrote:

snip

Rent a car and take a few day to go to Te Anua and Milford. Don't take the
bus from Queenstown. Half the fun of Milford is driving the road. I could
easily spend 12 hour on the road to Milford, stay over night, then take the
cruise. Finally drive back and stop off here and there again.

I'm not so sure you can stay in "Milford". There is a hotel there, but last time
I looked, it was reserved for people finishing the Milford Track walk. I suspect
that the nearest you can stay is about an hour and 20 minutes away, so please
check first.

--
Cheers!

Terry
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Dwayne

"Terry Simmons" wrote in message
In article VyMpe.1606143$8l.1414424@pd7tw1no, "Dwayne"
wrote:

snip

Rent a car and take a few day to go to Te Anua and Milford. Don't take
the
bus from Queenstown. Half the fun of Milford is driving the road. I
could
easily spend 12 hour on the road to Milford, stay over night, then take
the
cruise. Finally drive back and stop off here and there again.

I'm not so sure you can stay in "Milford". There is a hotel there, but
last time
I looked, it was reserved for people finishing the Milford Track walk. I
suspect
that the nearest you can stay is about an hour and 20 minutes away, so
please
check first.

--
Cheers!

Terry

You can stay at Milford Sound Lodge. The last hut is at Sandfly Point from
here you need to catch a water taxis to get to "town".

Dwayne