What are the better UK newspapers??

Old June 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Des Small

Jack Campin - bogus address writes:

what are the "good" UK newspapers? Which ones do our
UK readers recommend?

The Herald (Glasgow), particularly its Sunday edition.
The Independent (London).

Ooh, Schottland, I forgot about them. Which is odd, because I quite
like their RSS feed. I think Earl might enjoy this one:

"""
Stewart Kirkpatrick
skirkpatrick at scotsman dot com

[...]

Am I alone in not finding great comfort in this story?

Tony Blair has apparently persuaded his "good friend" (aka Sith
master) George Dubya Bush to embrace the threat of climate change by
¡Ä err ¡Ä never signing up to the Kyoto treaty. Instead, Mr Poodle has
recognised "US efforts to fight global warming in its own way, with
extensive investment in new fuel technology" such as, say, even bigger
4x4s, more shopping malls and really cool new oil wells.

Well, well, well, Tony. That concession was really worth
unquestioningly following Dubya into Eyeraq for, wasn't it? You've
forced the US -- nay, bullied them -- into adopting an environmental
policy based on mindless homage to the oil lobby and the unthinking
consumer.

Well played.
"""

http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=634952005

But you don't even see the Scotsman in England, at least not with my
eyes.

Des
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Jim Ley

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:27:14 +0200, Martin wrote:

I like the Economist too.

It's a weekly magazine.

It styles itself a newspaper, I'm prepared to believe them, I also
don't really see why it's not?

It carries news...

Jim.
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Mike O'Sullivan

Earl Evleth wrote:
The following item indicates that the UK newspapers are
now doing a better job than the now terrorized American press.

But what are the "good" UK newspapers? Which ones do
our UK readers recommend?

The Daily (& Sunday) Telegraph, The Times, and the Financial Times (I
particularly like the Saturday edition).

Forget the rest, they're comics!
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

Earl Evleth wrote:
The following item indicates that the UK newspapers are
now doing a better job than the now terrorized American press.

But what are the "good" UK newspapers? Which ones do
our UK readers recommend?

The Daily (& Sunday) Telegraph, The Times, and the Financial Times (I
particularly like the Saturday edition).

Forget the rest, they're comics!

Does you choice reveal a need for affirmation or does it indicate a
liking for challenge?

The Telegraph used to be (I haven't looked at it much recently) about
as unreflective as a wall painted in matt black.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Thomas

* The Independent is pro-Europe and was vigorously against the Iraq
war. It is my preferred choice, since it concentrates on news and
does it fairly well.

* The Telegraph is an old-fashioned social conservative quality paper,
and good for sports.

* The Times has never recovered from Murdoch buying it.

The rest of the dailies are strictly bogroll.

I disagree. They are not even good as bogroll.

I know, too shiny, it just tends to smear it about rather than absorb
anything.

Old June 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Stephen Ellenson

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message

The following item indicates that the UK newspapers are
now doing a better job than the now terrorized American press.

But what are the "good" UK newspapers? Which ones do
our UK readers recommend? Are they usually available
on the continent??

Being exposed to a different English language press
is possibly a broadening experience for traveling
Americans.

Earl

****

'Downing Street Memo' Gets Fresh Attention
By Mark Memmott
USA Today

Wednesday 08 June 2005

A simmering controversy over whether American media have ignored a
secret British memo about how President Bush built his case for war with
Iraq bubbled over into the White House on Tuesday.

At a late afternoon news conference, Reuters correspondent Steve Holland
asked Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair about a memo that's

been
widely written about and discussed in Europe but less so in the USA.

It was the most attention paid by the media in the USA so far to the
"Downing Street memo," first reported on May 1 by The Sunday Times of
London. The memo is said by some of the president's sharpest critics,

such
as Democratic Rep. John Conyers (news, bio, voting record) of Michigan,

be strong evidence that Bush decided to go to war and then looked for
evidence to support his decision.

The Sunday Times said the memo is the minutes of a meeting that British
Prime Minister Tony Blair had with some of his top intelligence and
foreign policy aides on July 23, 2002, at 10 Downing Street, the prime
minister's official residence. The story said the memo indicates that
Blair was told by the head of Britain's MI6 intelligence service that in
2002, the Bush administration was selectively choosing evidence that
supported its case for going to war and ignoring anything to the

contrary.
The war began in March 2003.

"Intelligence and facts were being fixed" by the Bush administration
"around" a policy that saw military action "as inevitable," the newspaper
quoted from the memo.

"There's nothing farther from the truth," Bush told reporters as
Blair stood at his side. "Both of us didn't want to use our military,"
Bush said in response to a question about the memo. "It was our last
option."

Blair added, "The facts were not being 'fixed' in any shape or form at
all."

Bush said that at the time the memo was written, no decision had been
made about going to war. He pointed out that it was written two months
before he went to the United Nations and asked for a Security Council
resolution calling on Saddam Hussein to give up his weapons of mass
destruction or face "serious consequences."

The Sunday Times' May 1 memo story, which broke just four days before
Britain's national elections, caused a sensation in Europe. American

media
reacted more cautiously. The New York Times wrote about the memo May 2,
but didn't mention until its 15th paragraph that the memo stated U.S.
officials had "fixed" intelligence and facts.

Knight Ridder Newspapers distributed a story May 6 that said the memo
"claims President Bush ... was determined to ensure that U.S.

intelligence
data supported his policy." The Los Angeles Times wrote about the memo

May
12, The Washington Post followed on May 15 and The New York Times
revisited the news on May 20.

None of the stories appeared on the newspapers' front pages. Several
other major media outlets, including the evening news programs on ABC,

CBS
and NBC, had not said a word about the document before Tuesday. Today
marks USA TODAY's first mention.

Some activists who opposed Bush's decision to attack Iraq have been
peppering editors with letters and e-mails to push the media into more
aggressive coverage. Last week, a group known as Democrats.com offered
$1,000 to anyone who can get Bush to answer "yes or no" to this

question:
Did he or his administration "fix the intelligence" about Iraq's weapons
of mass destruction and alleged ties to terrorism?

"We want what the Michael Jackson, Paris Hilton and Star Wars stories
have gotten: endless repetition until people have heard about it," says
David Swanson, one of Democrats.com's organizers.

Robin Niblett of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a
Washington think tank, says it would be easy for Americans to
misunderstand the reference to intelligence being "fixed around" Iraq
policy. " 'Fixed around' in British English means 'bolted on' rather

than
altered to fit the policy," he says.

Ombudsmen at both The New York Times and The Washington Post have been
critical of their newspapers for not covering the story more

aggressively.

USA TODAY chose not to publish anything about the memo before today for
several reasons, says Jim Cox, the newspaper's senior assignment editor
for foreign news. "We could not obtain the memo or a copy of it from a
reliable source," Cox says. "There was no explicit confirmation of its
authenticity from (Blair's office). And it was disclosed four days

before
the British elections, raising concerns about the timing."

-------

It may be a broadening experience for Americans to read non-American
newspapers while travelling. I hope you will find that many of us
"underexposed" Americans may access the BBC, Le Monde, NY Times, etc.
without going abroard. Although the experience of going abroad to do so is a
much nicer experience. Everyone, not just yanks, should explore the press of
other nations.

Old June 9th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Jim Ley wrote:

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:12:23 +0200, Earl Evleth
wrote:

But what are the "good" UK newspapers? Which ones do
our UK readers recommend? Are they usually available
on the continent??

The Sun, the Star, the Mirror, the Mail are all absolute crap, in fact
almost all the UK newspapers are in my opinion absolute crap. They're
also very selective about what they publish, it may well be because
they're less politically uniform you'll get one paper that feels it's
in their ideological interest to mention a story, but that doesn't
mean you can just read one and get any sort of balance or good
reporting.

The Economist is the only one I read regularly these days.

It is excellent, especially since US "news" magazines such as _Time_ and
_Newsweek_ are into vapid info - tainment these days...the _Economist_
actually takes a day or two to read...

Speaking as a USAin, I like the _Guardian_ and the _Independent_...

_The Sun_ is worth the ocassional laugh, I like the "slimming" articles and
the "Dear Meg" or whatever agony aunt column...

--
Best
Greg

'Viz' is funnier and more realistic.

Old June 9th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Zichu

"Stephen Ellenson" wrote in message

It may be a broadening experience for Americans to read non-American
newspapers while travelling. I hope you will find that many of us
"underexposed" Americans may access the BBC, Le Monde, NY Times, etc.
without going abroard. Although the experience of going abroad to do so is
much nicer experience. Everyone, not just yanks, should explore the press
of
other nations.

I have a quick look in the evening at about half a dozen or so on-line
papers to get a different slant on what is reported to be happening in the
rest of the world. It is quite interesting to see the different slant put on
a story by different interest groups.

Of course the definition of a good newspaper is one which reflects your own
views on the news and which sometimes articulates your own thoughts often
more thoroughly than you can yourself. It is comforting to read articles in
print reflecting exactly what you have been thinking yourself.

Here is a quick list of some of them I like, to save anybody searching.

http://www.backhaul.net/best.htm "The worlds best newspaper site"

http://www.economist.com/index.html

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/

http://www.scotsman.com/