All About First-Time Cruising - Including Disney

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
§ñühw¤£f

Default All About First-Time Cruising - Including Disney

Mr. Marengo wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Mr. Marengo wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Ed Wollmann wrote:

Thats all very interesting, but what really grinds my gears about
cruise
ships is their habit of dumping their waste tanks at sea.

Discuss.

Fish and whales **** into the ocean, why not Humans? The fish love it.
Don't they, Sisker?

Theres a huge difference between the limited amounts over time produced
by sea animals and the huge discharge of a cruise ships holding tank
dumped all at once. Plus whatever medicine that isnt broken down.
All in
all, its like a floating hazardous waste site.

That dissipates rapidly into an undetectable dilution.

Uh uh...
http://www.kahea.org/ocean/

Awww, they don't want poo-poo in the oceans.

All cruise ships generate the following types of waste:
"Gray water" from sinks, showers, laundries and galleys
Sewage or "black water" from toilets
Oily bilge water
Hazardous wastes (including perchloroethylene from drycleaning,
photo-processing wastes, paint waste, solvents, print shop wastes,
fluorescent light bulbs, and batteries)
Solid wastes (plastic, paper, wood, cardboard, food waste, cans, and glass)
Air pollution from the ship's diesel engines
A 3,000-passenger cruise ship (considered an average size, some carry
5,000 or more passengers) generates the following amounts of waste on a
typical one-week voyage:
1 million gallons of "gray water"
210,000 gallons of sewage
25,000 gallons of oily bilge water
Over 100 gallons of hazardous or toxic waste
50 tons of garbage and solid waste
Diesel exhaust emissions equivalent to thousands of automobiles
In addition, these ships take in large quantities of ballast water,
which is seawater pumped into the hulls of ships to ensure stability.
This water is typically taken in at one port and then discharged at the
ship's destination, which can introduce invasive species and serious
diseases into U.S. waters. A typical release of ballast water amounts to
1,000 metric tons.

Spreading FUD, as usual.

Nope, just the facts, Shill.

The Ocean and the Sun are incredible recyclers of materials. They break
things down, and dilute them very efficiently.

Before they are absorbed by sea life?
Interesting.

The occasional cruise ship dumps you complain about are *nothing*
compared to the fixed effluent discharges of raw sewage in Florida,
California, and other states.

Those go through water treatment plants you ****ing dope.

What happens to *your* **** afterwards?

Your interest in my **** is noted, k00k.
Septic tank, much?

Between the microbes, the sal****er, and the UV rays, all of that is
broken down within hours.

Quit whining.

And the medicines and other chemicals in the tanks just magically
disperses too I suppose?

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. If they are medicines meant for human
consumption, they are, by design, engineered to breakup and dissolve in
the presence of h2o.

CITE, pussy?

Imagine the idiocy of homeopathy, where dilutions of up to 100−6=10−12
(one part in one trillion)(1/1,000,000,000,000) turn the "additive" into
essentially zero.

Now drop 500 gallons of **** into the ocean. Seems like a lot, right?

According to the U.S. Navy, there are around 361.2 quintillion gallons
of water in the ocean. Do the math. What you are whining about is nothing.

You want a link? Here's a link:

http://hpl.umces.edu/ocean/sml_main.htm

I prefer science to industry-generated fiction, thanks.
I'm not saying its not preventable. It is:
http://www.surfrider.org/a-z/cruise.php

Old August 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
pandora

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:19:59 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

Mr. Marengo wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Mr. Marengo wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Ed Wollmann wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof of that as well. Interesting that
recently our local city manager has emphasized that people should NOT
dump their unwanted medicines down their drains. And we DO most
definitely have a water treatment facility. A brand new one in fact.
Apparently it doesn't get rid of ALL meds.

Old August 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
pandora wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. If they are medicines meant for
human consumption, they are, by design, engineered to breakup and
dissolve in the presence of h2o.

CITE, pussy?

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof of that as well. Interesting that
recently our local city manager has emphasized that people should NOT
dump their unwanted medicines down their drains. And we DO most
definitely have a water treatment facility. A brand new one in fact.
Apparently it doesn't get rid of ALL meds.

My guess is the OP was confusing what happened with the pills with
what happened with chemicals. Although even that is not entirely true
since you have medicines made to transit the stomach, etc.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
§ñühw¤£f[_2_]

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
pandora wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. If they are medicines meant for
human consumption, they are, by design, engineered to breakup and
dissolve in the presence of h2o.

CITE, pussy?

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof of that as well. Interesting that
recently our local city manager has emphasized that people should NOT
dump their unwanted medicines down their drains. And we DO most
definitely have a water treatment facility. A brand new one in fact.
Apparently it doesn't get rid of ALL meds.

My guess is the OP was confusing what happened with the pills with
what happened with chemicals. Although even that is not entirely true
since you have medicines made to transit the stomach, etc.

And they cause mutations in fish:

From inter-sex fish in the Potomac River to frog mutations in
Wisconsin, federal officials are spending this summer studying the
effects of pharmaceuticals such as pain killers and depression medicine
on the environment, because the drugs have turned up in America's
drinking water.

The cumulative effect of trace amounts of pharmaceuticals and
personal-care products in the water on humans isn't yet known, but the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is taking preventative measures.
Pharmaceuticals have already been linked to behavioral and sexual
mutations in fish, amphibians and birds, according to EPA studies.

Better sensors have revealed that trace amounts of pharmaceuticals,
including narcotics, birth control, antidepressants and other controlled
substances, are in the drinking water and in U.S. rivers, lakes and
streams.

Last year, a US geological survey "found intersex fish in a third of 111
sites tested around the country. Of the 16 fish species studied, the
condition was most common in smallmouth and largemouth bass and among
males, although researchers also discovered the occasional female fish
with male characteristics. The researchers studied sites along some of
America's greatest rivers from the Mississippi to the Rio Grande."

Old August 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
Mr. Marengo

§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
pandora wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. If they are medicines meant for
human consumption, they are, by design, engineered to breakup and
dissolve in the presence of h2o.

CITE, pussy?

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof of that as well. Interesting that
recently our local city manager has emphasized that people should NOT
dump their unwanted medicines down their drains. And we DO most
definitely have a water treatment facility. A brand new one in fact.
Apparently it doesn't get rid of ALL meds.

My guess is the OP was confusing what happened with the pills with
what happened with chemicals. Although even that is not entirely true
since you have medicines made to transit the stomach, etc.

And they cause mutations in fish:

From inter-sex fish in the Potomac River to frog mutations in
Wisconsin, federal officials are spending this summer studying the
effects of pharmaceuticals such as pain killers and depression medicine
on the environment, because the drugs have turned up in America's
drinking water.

The cumulative effect of trace amounts of pharmaceuticals and
personal-care products in the water on humans isn't yet known,

but you'll ****ing bitch and moan and shriek in the typical alarmist
Peta way.

Free clue, dumbass: The vast oceans aren't America's (or anyone elses
drinking water.

Because someone is doing a study in the Potomac has dick to do with what
happens when cruise ships dump their **** in the ocean, FUDboi.

Stop spreading fear and rumors. Mutated fish are delicious. Extra limbs
on frogs means more to eat at the restaurant.
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
Edmond H Wollmann

§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
pandora wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. If they are medicines meant for
human consumption, they are, by design, engineered to breakup and
dissolve in the presence of h2o.

CITE, pussy?

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof of that as well.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/no...horizon-spill/

Oil eating bacteria, dumb****s.

And if you don't think there are bacteria that eat and scavenge just
about everything a cruise ship dumps out then you're total idiots.

And what the bacteria and microbes don't consume, the intense constant
motion and turbulence of the sea, the sal****er, and the Sun's UV rays
take care of.

Whatever is left over is not worth whining about, unless it's
radioactive, or a heavy metal.

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
§ñühw¤£f[_2_]

Mr. Marengo wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
pandora wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. If they are medicines meant for
human consumption, they are, by design, engineered to breakup and
dissolve in the presence of h2o.

CITE, pussy?

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof of that as well. Interesting that
recently our local city manager has emphasized that people should NOT
dump their unwanted medicines down their drains. And we DO most
definitely have a water treatment facility. A brand new one in fact.
Apparently it doesn't get rid of ALL meds.

My guess is the OP was confusing what happened with the pills with
what happened with chemicals. Although even that is not entirely true
since you have medicines made to transit the stomach, etc.

And they cause mutations in fish:

From inter-sex fish in the Potomac River to frog mutations in
Wisconsin, federal officials are spending this summer studying the
effects of pharmaceuticals such as pain killers and depression medicine
on the environment, because the drugs have turned up in America's
drinking water.

The cumulative effect of trace amounts of pharmaceuticals and
personal-care products in the water on humans isn't yet known,

but you'll ****ing bitch and moan and shriek in the typical alarmist
Peta way.

Free clue, dumbass: The vast oceans aren't America's (or anyone elses
drinking water.

Because someone is doing a study in the Potomac has dick to do with what
happens when cruise ships dump their **** in the ocean, FUDboi.

Stop spreading fear and rumors. Mutated fish are delicious. Extra limbs
on frogs means more to eat at the restaurant.

Nicely frothed, k00k.

PORTLAND, Maine — The federal government advises throwing most unused or
expired medications into the trash instead of down the drain, but they
can end up in the water anyway, a study from Maine suggests.

Tiny amounts of discarded drugs have been found in water at three
landfills in the state, confirming suspicions that pharmaceuticals
thrown into household trash are ending up in water that drains through
waste, according to a survey by the state's environmental agency that's
one of only a handful to have looked at the presence of drugs in landfills.

That landfill water – known as leachate – eventually ends up in rivers.
Most of Maine doesn't draw its drinking water from rivers where the
leachate ends up, but in other states that do, water supplies that come
from rivers could potentially be contaminated.

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
§ñühw¤£f[_2_]

Edmond H Wollmann wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
pandora wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. If they are medicines meant for
human consumption, they are, by design, engineered to breakup and
dissolve in the presence of h2o.

CITE, pussy?

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof of that as well.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/no...horizon-spill/

Oil eating bacteria, dumb****s.

And if you don't think there are bacteria that eat and scavenge just
about everything a cruise ship dumps out then you're total idiots.

And what the bacteria and microbes don't consume, the intense constant
motion and turbulence of the sea, the sal****er, and the Sun's UV rays
take care of.

Whatever is left over is not worth whining about, unless it's
radioactive, or a heavy metal.

Jebus, Edmo, we were talking about pharmaceuticals in ocean water.
Not oil eating microbes.
Do try and keep up...

Old August 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
pandora

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:02:47 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

Mr. Marengo wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
pandora wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. If they are medicines meant for
human consumption, they are, by design, engineered to breakup and
dissolve in the presence of h2o.

CITE, pussy?

Yeah, I'd like to see some proof of that as well. Interesting that
recently our local city manager has emphasized that people should
NOT dump their unwanted medicines down their drains. And we DO most
definitely have a water treatment facility. A brand new one in fact.
Apparently it doesn't get rid of ALL meds.

My guess is the OP was confusing what happened with the pills with
what happened with chemicals. Although even that is not entirely true
since you have medicines made to transit the stomach, etc.

And they cause mutations in fish:

From inter-sex fish in the Potomac River to frog mutations in
[...]

Indeed. And that is precisely why our local city government has
requested that we do not put meds in the trash.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises,alt.astrology,alt.usenet.kooks
The Pleaidian

§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Mr. Marengo wrote:
§ñühw¤£f wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:

.

PORTLAND, Maine — The federal government advises throwing most unused or
expired medications into the trash instead of down the drain, but they
can end up in the water anyway, a study from Maine suggests.

Tiny amounts of discarded drugs have been found in water at three
landfills in the state, confirming suspicions that pharmaceuticals
thrown into household trash are ending up in water that drains through
waste, according to a survey by the state's environmental agency that's
one of only a handful to have looked at the presence of drugs in landfills.

That landfill water – known as leachate – eventually ends up in rivers.
Most of Maine doesn't draw its drinking water from rivers where the
leachate ends up, but in other states that do, water supplies that come
from rivers could potentially be contaminated.

Yep. "Tiny amounts". "Trace amounts". As in "not enough to ****ing worry
about".

So quit frothing.