How to get from Johor Bahru to Changi airport?

Old February 5th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Ulan Bator

Default How to get from Johor Bahru to Changi airport?

You can take a bus from downtown JB to Singapore's Custom & Immigration
checkpoint in Woodlands, then hail a cab to Changi.(North to Northeast
Singapore)

If you have a lot of luggage, then you can catch a cab to the designated
area somewhere in Rochor, then catch another cab to Changi.(North to
Southeast to Northeast Singapore)

"Oliver Laumann" wrote in message
We plan to travel to Malaysia later this year. As flights from Europe
to Malaysia are more expensive than flights to Singapore, we will book
an open jaw flight from Europe to KUL and back from SIN to Europe.

On the last day of our journey we will drop the rental car at Johor
Bahru and head for Changi airport to get our return flight.

What is the best method to get from Johor Bahru to Changi? Can we
just hail a cab in downtown Johor Bahru that takes us to Changi, and
if so, how much will it cost approximately?

Old February 6th, 2004, 07:15 AM
hvpl

Dear Oliver,
Johor Baru is a major land gateway into Singapore from Malaysia/Thailand. As
such, there are many options to enter Singapore for your flight at Changi.
The many posts shows the many alternatives depending on the number & ages of
your travelling party and the amount of baggage with you.

First of all, public transport within Malaysia is relatively cheap & fairly
reliable. Taxis that will take you to the remote areas for an agreeable
price (with some astute bargaining). Local area buses would be more
colourful but slower. What I am doing is making a case for NOT hiring a car
for the entire time you are in Malaysia. In Kuala Lumpur & its environs, a
foreigner driving in the traffic jam is a no-no. Public buses, taxis, LRT,
Monorail, walking are the best. Then, if you are going to specific towns,
say, Ipoh or Penang, a cheap & very comfortable air-con express coach is the
way to travel with frequent departures to towns throughout Malaysia. A
5-hour coach trip from Kuala Lumpur directly into Singapore costs about
USD20 per person only. How often do you expect to go out beyond a city? If
so, simply work a deal with a local car rental company (several are online)
to hire their cars at various destinations that you'd like to drive at
longer term rental rates, but drop the car where you pick up because you may
double or triple your rental cost with one-way rentals.

Next, the subject of much advice. Getting from JB to Changi. If you can meet
the regular train into Sing, that would be the least hassle. With carry-able
luggage, get out at Singapore immigration & take a TIBS bus to Woodlands MRT
station towards Jurong East station, then on to Changi Airport. With heavier
luggage, take the complete trip to the Singapore Railway Station & hop on a
taxi for Changi.

With light luggage, simply walk across the causeway (~1km total) into
Singapore. Take SBS bus # 170 to Kranji MRT to Jurong East & Changi Airport.

Please note that with buses & MRT, you'll need exact change for the fares.
The bus driver do not handle cash. If you arrive in JB via express coach,
you'll stop at Larkin Bus Station. You can board SBS #170 or Singapore-Johor
Baru Express buses for the causeway immigration point. Hop onto the bus
again after clearing Malaysian immigration if you wish. A walk across is
usually faster. Clear Singapore immigration then decide whether to travel
all the way into city centre with the same bus company & board from Bugis
MRT station (a 200m walk) for Changi or with #170 (only), stop at Kranji MRT
for Changi.

With heavy luggage at Larkin Station, you can take a JB-Spore Taxi all the
way into Singapore. Then, switch to a Spore taxi for Changi. However, the
fare between JB & Spore is highly negotiable depending whether you have
other passengers travelling with you. A taxi takes 4 adults.

Have a great trip.

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:38 AM

On 04 Feb 2004 15:40:53 +0100, Oliver Laumann
wrote:

We plan to travel to Malaysia later this year. As flights from Europe
to Malaysia are more expensive than flights to Singapore, we will book
an open jaw flight from Europe to KUL and back from SIN to Europe.

On the last day of our journey we will drop the rental car at Johor
Bahru and head for Changi airport to get our return flight.

What is the best method to get from Johor Bahru to Changi? Can we
just hail a cab in downtown Johor Bahru that takes us to Changi, and
if so, how much will it cost approximately?

Not all JB cabs are allowed into Singapore. Those that are licensed to
do so can only take you up to Queen Street. From there you can take a
local cab to the airport. Travelling time from Queen Street to Changi
airport by cab is approx half an hour. The fare should be less than
S$20.

SIAOGU

The husband is the head of the house. The wife is the neck. And the neck turns the head.
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM
john

In article ,
Oliver Laumann wrote:

We plan to travel to Malaysia later this year. As flights from Europe
to Malaysia are more expensive than flights to Singapore, we will book
an open jaw flight from Europe to KUL and back from SIN to Europe.

On the last day of our journey we will drop the rental car at Johor
Bahru and head for Changi airport to get our return flight.

What is the best method to get from Johor Bahru to Changi? Can we
just hail a cab in downtown Johor Bahru that takes us to Changi, and
if so, how much will it cost approximately?

Normal JB cabs do not go to S'pore. To get a taxi cab that goes from
JB to S'pore, you must go to a specific taxi stand in downtown JB. Its
actually a multi-story car park used by these JB to S'pore cabs. I
don't have the address, but most JB cab drivers ought to know where it
is.

These cabs take 4 people at a time. You can share with others who are
waiting in the queue, or hire the whole cab. The cabs go to Queen
Street in S'pore. In S'pore, switch to a S'pore Cab to get to Changi
airport or take the MRT to the airport.

Can also take a bus from JB to S'pore, or take the train. The train
station is in downtown JB, near to the JB-Spore bus station. Not
advisable to take the train or bus if you have alot of luggage.
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Miguel Cruz

wrote:
Not all JB cabs are allowed into Singapore. Those that are licensed to
do so can only take you up to Queen Street. From there you can take a
local cab to the airport. Travelling time from Queen Street to Changi
airport by cab is approx half an hour. The fare should be less than
S$20.

Seems like you could avoid potential traffic and save some money by taking
the MRT from Woodlands to the airport.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Tok Shou Hsien

Hi,
No you cannot just hail a cab from M'sia to anywhere in Singapore. There
exist only 1 legal Johor to Singapore cab, and they can only drop you at the
taxi station near to Bugis in Singapore. There you can just walk to the road
beside the taxi station and catch a Singapore taxi to the airport.
Or a cheaper option (of course takes longer), take Singapore bus (red
and white in colour) number 170, to Singapore, drop off at Admiralty MRT
station. And take the MRT to the airport. The MRT is the train network that
goes to most parts of Singapore.

swtok