Alaska Cruise

Old January 29th, 2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Todd

Default Alaska Cruise

My extended family is thinking about taking an Alaskan Cruise in the
summer of 2008! Yes, 2008 - we need time to plan for it and to save
the money necessary. The will include 4 generations from 1.5 years
old, up to Great Grandma at about 90 years old, totaling 25 people.
In fact, in October 2005 this same group (minus the youngest baby)
took a week long cruise in the Caribbean on Disney's Magic. It was
right around the time of Hurrican Wilma, so we didn't get to do the
Western itinerary, but still got to go!
Also, in February of 1995, this group did a Southern Caribbean cruise
on RCL (Monarch of the Seas?) without as many children (only 16
people).

My question is basically what should we be looking at when trying to
pick an Alaskan cruise? We obviously need a ship that has a great
children's program, so does that narrow our search? We also need to
keep it economical? Would sailing on RCL again, give us that much of
a discount?

I'm usually the one who gets to do most of the planning of these trips
and one thing I really liked about the Disney cruise we took a year
and 4 months ago was that once everyone was booked we could do a lot
of excursion shopping on-line before. We would plan what we wanted
and bought the tickets together in blocks since all our individual
reservations were linked together (of course it all turned out for
naught when the ship was diverted from it's original itinerary).

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Old January 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rieker

My question is basically what should we be looking at when trying to
pick an Alaskan cruise?

Sounds like a great time. You will get a lot of suggestions here...mine is
a brief fyi...

Last time I looked, neither RCL nor Celebrity is allowed to cruise Glacier
Bay. (past pollution violations)

Have a wonderful time!

Old January 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill C

Todd wrote:
[...]

I was booked on a one way cruise to Alaska this summer. After adding the
airfare, over $700pp
00 and the cost of the excursions the amount got way out of hand.
We cancelled and are back in the Caribbean.

I would think a roundtrip cruise would be more economical but you'd get
less time in ports and not get as far north as some of the one way trips
get.

If I was to book now I'd book the NCL Pearl R/T since it does Glacier
Bay and airfare for us would be about $250pp from PHL to Seattle.

Bill

--
Visit my Caribbean Princess website:
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Todd Michel McComb

In article F5tvh.1743$q86.189@trndny01, Bill C wrote:
I was booked on a one way cruise to Alaska this summer. After
adding the airfare, over $700pp and the cost of the excursions the
amount got way out of hand. We cancelled and are back in the
Caribbean.

Yeah, I'm doing a similar cruise this summer (but round trip), and
the price is already jawdropping, once everything is included.

I wanted to do the 4-generation thing, but my grandmother wouldn't
agree to go. Still, it'll be quite an experience, and a cruise is
something where my parents can participate.

It ends up being a lot more expensive per day than our usual trips,
and I travel a lot. I just paid $1760 for shore excursions for 7
people, for instance, not everyone going on every trip, and nothing
really elaborate like a helicopter....

The best I can do is find out about all the costs well beforehand,
so I can pay them or set aside the money, and then forget about it,
and go have a good time later. Still, I can see this won't be a
regular thing.

Old January 30th, 2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

Todd wrote:

[...]

Dear Todd,
It is time to talk to an experienced travel agent who does a lot
of work with the ALaska crowd. With a group as large as yours is going
to be you should be able to get some really good prices. One thing I
would consider, however, is that the 15 month old might be better
served by spending some time with a friendly Aunt or something while
the rest of you go cruising. Alaska weather can be quite variable and
little ones can be a real challenge. The lines that serve Alaska are
not as Kid Friendly as your memories of Disney's Magic.
Depending on how much time you want to spend on airplanes, you
might want to consider a double 7 day which will give you the entire
Alaska experience - different ports on each direction. Once again,
this is where a travel agent is worth his/her weight in gold.
Cheers, and have a great trip,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sheree

celebrity is great in alaska, hubbard glacier is beautiful. they also have
a great kids program but i don't think the 16 mos old is eligible for any
line's program. (must be toilet trained and 2 or 3yrs of age)
round trip vancouver lets you have a decent amount of time in port and pre
or post vancouver or victoria.
you can book many excursions independently. with that many people, you
should be able to get group pricing.
sheree

Old January 30th, 2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff[_8_]

rieker wrote:
My question is basically what should we be looking at when trying to
pick an Alaskan cruise?

Sounds like a great time. You will get a lot of suggestions here...mine is
a brief fyi...

Last time I looked, neither RCL nor Celebrity is allowed to cruise Glacier
Bay. (past pollution violations)

Have a wonderful time!

Actually, according to this document it seems the past RCL pollution
violation was not considered with respect to their Glacier Bay permit
application. Go see:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/glba/InDe.../som981201.pdf

Holland America and Princess both carry a high number of Glacier Bay
permits due to their status as "historic" operators (aka,
non-competitive), and HAL won many more due to the strength of their
interpretive programs, which are about 2nd to none in the large cruise
ship world.

Jeff

Old January 30th, 2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 02:28:03 GMT, Jeff
wrote:

Actually, according to this document it seems the past RCL pollution
violation was not considered with respect to their Glacier Bay permit
application.

Hi Jeff,

Royal Caribbean/Celebrity ban on permits were taken away due to a
conviction. It has nothing to do with other cruise lines.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Todd" wrote in message
oups.com...

My question is basically what should we be looking at when trying to
pick an Alaskan cruise? We obviously need a ship that has a great
children's program, so does that narrow our search? We also need to
keep it economical? Would sailing on RCL again, give us that much of
a discount?

We have done most of our Alaska cruises on Holland America..She has a
Glacier Bay itinerary, somewhat smaller ships and a wrap around lower
promenade balcony from which you can really see the beautiful scenery...you
can walk completely around the ship.. A Crow's Nest Lounge at the very top
of the ship provides scenery of the entire front of the ship...The crew
comes around serving hot chocolate or pea soup while you stop at Glacier Bay
and other times of the cruise...Lounge chairs on the Promenade deck are
supplied with plaid blankets if you wish to sit out there.
There are many tour booths at each Alaskan port that you can purchase
tickets instead of the ship's tours.

--Jean

Old January 30th, 2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jean O'Boyle
wrote:

The crew comes around serving hot chocolate or pea soup while you
stop at Glacier Bay

Why pea soup? Is that for the very old people who like bland soup? I'd
prefer something with a little spice like Chili.

--
Charles