Norwegian cruise stranded in Antarctic

Old January 31st, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

Default Norwegian cruise stranded in Antarctic

"Curtis" wrote in message
"OSLO, Norway - Nearly 300 passengers, including 113 Americans, were
awaiting rescue Wednesday from a Norwegian cruise ship that ran aground
off a remote Antarctic island, damaging its hull.

The M/S Nordkapp got off the rocks under her own steam and sought
shelter in a nearby harbor, where it was awaiting the arrival later
Wednesday of another Norwegian Coastal Voyage ship, the M/S Nordnorge,
the cruise operator said in a statement."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070131/...cruise_trouble

Wouldn't one think, that if the ship WAS NOT taking on water, it would
resume it's cruise and repair the hull later on?
Why is it necessary to RESCUE the passengers, if there is NO danger because
the ship IS NOT taking on water? Then, AFTER the passengers are removed, the
ship will sail for 40 HOURS to Argentina. Go figure!
If I have a fender bender accident while driving to florida, and NOTHING
important is damaged, I fix the car AFTER I get home.
I guess people enjoy paying a LOT OF MONEY to end up being jerked around.
This cruise company must be operated by relatives of the 3 stooges.

JP

Old January 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Robert Cohen

On Jan 31, 2:29 pm, "JP" wrote:
"Bert Hyman" wrote in message

(JP) wrote innews:YQ4wh.2752$Tz4.1894@trndny06:

If the ship is SAFE ENOUGH to sail to Argentina, then it could
carry the passengers for the remainer of their cruise.

If this riles you so much, perhaps you should take this up with
Hurtigruten.

Hurtigruten Group ASA
Po box 43
N- 8501 Narvik

Be sure to let us know what you find.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

You seem to be pushing for an answer, so I'll send them a profanity laced
email and attached your ID. Let you take all of the credit.
Let me know what develops.
BAWAHAHAHAHA

JP- Hide quoted text -

DECEPTION Island is obviously well-named

seemingly a ship's radar would warn, but it may have been...deceived

is antarctica melting some too, as the north pole area reportedly is?

Old January 31st, 2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ron S

In this case it appears that the cruise line is choosing the safest
course of action...not to endanger it's passengers.

Old January 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"JP" wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
(JP) wrote in news:P93wh.9927$Hb6.1194@trndny02:

Then, AFTER the passengers are removed, the
ship will sail for 40 HOURS to Argentina. Go figure!

In fact, the cited article said

"The statement said a British warship was also meeting the Nordkapp,
and would send down divers to inspect the damage to its hull and then
escort the ship to port in Argentina."

Presumably, the ship will sail to Argentina only if the hull
inspection shows no significant damage.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Fine. How long will it take divers to check the damage? 2 hours? The people
can eat and get loaded onshore, while that is going on at the ship.
If the ship is SAFE ENOUGH to sail to Argentina, then it could carry the
passengers for the remainer of their cruise.

As to the time, it probably depends on the weather among other things.

It may be that some repairs need to be made in order to have the ship
able to proceed safely.

Would you want to sail on a ship that you knew had been damaged, just
on the assurance of the people who ran it aground in the first place
that it was safe enough? I'm not sure that I would. I'd be nervous
at every creak and groan or movement of the ship.

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"JP" wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
[...]

And...what do you think they have life boats for??? To make the ship look
nice?
Let the cruise continue and if they have to evacuate the passengers, so be
it.
geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.......................!

JP

Old February 1st, 2007, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
David Bennetts

"JP" wrote in message
And...what do you think they have life boats for??? To make the ship look
nice?
Let the cruise continue and if they have to evacuate the passengers, so be
it.
geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.......................!

JP

For myself and a number of other readers of this newsgroups, we'd like to
see you bobbing up and down in a life boat in the freezing Antarctic cold,
with the nearest rescue ship some days away. You'd enjoy that part of the
cruise, with its catering limited to ration packs.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia