Cozumel Punta Sur

Old February 1st, 2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Craig[_2_]

Default Cozumel Punta Sur

Hello,
My wife and I will be traveling to Cozumel (our 2nd time there) as part
of an upcoming cruise. Our first time there we spent the day at Chankanaab
Park (probably misspelled but you get the idea :-) This time around I'm
thinking of spending the day at Punta Sur. I would like to do some
snorkeling...my wife enjoys relaxing on the beach and a little swimming and
we both enjoy walking the gardens, wildlife, etc. First, from what I've
read this park should offer all of those things. Next, Fodor's mentions
that buses or bicycles are the only vehicles allowed into the park. Are
bicycles available for rent at the park entrance? And finally, are taxis
readily available upon leaving the park like they are at Chankanaab?
Craig

Old February 1st, 2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Craig" wrote in message
Hello,
My wife and I will be traveling to Cozumel (our 2nd time there) as part
of an upcoming cruise. Our first time there we spent the day at
Chankanaab
Park (probably misspelled but you get the idea :-) This time around I'm
thinking of spending the day at Punta Sur. I would like to do some
snorkeling...my wife enjoys relaxing on the beach and a little swimming
and
we both enjoy walking the gardens, wildlife, etc. First, from what I've
read this park should offer all of those things. Next, Fodor's mentions
that buses or bicycles are the only vehicles allowed into the park. Are
bicycles available for rent at the park entrance? And finally, are taxis
readily available upon leaving the park like they are at Chankanaab?
Craig

Cozumel had MASSIVE destruction from Hurricane Wilma in 2005, which IIRC was
the strongest hurricane ever recorded. It sat over Cozumel for 2 days. We
went to the island a few months after the hurricane, and hotels were shells
(you could see through them as if they were new construction), cruise docks
were obliterated, buildings were gone, trees were gone... it looked like
pictures of Hiroshima. In many places, the reefs were totally obliterated.
While the island may be making great recover strides, just understand the
amount of devastation that occurred. At the time Chankanaab was pretty much
completely gone. Not sure about now (over a year later). Be careful
assuming that what's written in Fodor's is actually the case post Hurricane
Wilma.

You might want to leave your options open and talk with the taxi drivers
once you get there... take their suggestions as to what's in decent
condition.

--Tom

Old February 1st, 2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
M[_1_]

Just got back from Cozumel. They've raised the prices at Chankanaab to
about $18.00pp. Went to Punta Sur. It was a waste of time. Terrible
snorkeling. Try other spots such as Xcaret, or pay the money at Chankanaab
Park.

Old February 1st, 2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Craig[_2_]

What about the other attractions in Punta Sur...such as the lighthouse. Is
it still there? How about the gardens and wildlife?
Craig

Old February 1st, 2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RICK DAVIS

Chankanaab is beautiful but scared. I was there in Dec. I walked to
where the museum was. Only the few stairs and floor are left. The
beach front area is as good as new. New Chairs in fact at every
umbrella. They have new buildings and entrance. New entrance and
building at the Dolphin area. You only need to walk around and just
look to see the damage. I have been back to Cozumel twice now since
Wilma. Its still very sad to see such destruction. Amazing to witness
the effects of wind and water. It is still a beautiful National Park
and they should be proud of the work they did to it. I still go back
there again and again.