Date Change A Royal Rendezvous!

Old February 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Date Change A Royal Rendezvous!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Cunard and thought it would be of
interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

DATE CHANGE - A Royal Rendezvous: Queen Mary 2 to Meet Namesake Queen
Mary on Thursday, February 23

Queen Mary 2 to sail by Queen Mary for historic greeting

VALENCIA, Calif., Feb. 6
Since Queen Mary 2's dazzling debut in 2004, Cunard enthusiasts have
wondered if the grand ocean liner would ever meet her legendary
predecessor, the Queen Mary. As part of Queen Mary 2's highly
anticipated maiden call to Los Angeles, the ship is set to wow West
Coasters with an historic meeting on Thursday, February 23 when the
two ships will unite in Long Beach harbor for a "royal rendezvous"
beginning at 12:00 pm.

Retired from maritime service for nearly 40 years, the Queen Mary,
which sailed from 1937 through 1967, is now permanently berthed in
Long Beach and is one of the city's most well-known attractions.

"Through Cunard's storied history, we can recall few occasions that
have inspired so much anticipation," said Carol Marlow, president and
managing director of Cunard Line. "The meeting of the Queen Marys is a
rare opportunity to witness the convergence of Cunard's illustrious
past with the line's 21st century future."

Thousands are expected to turn out to witness the historic rendezvous
of the two Queen Marys when they exchange their first-time greeting.
The memorable event will begin as Queen Mary 2 sails through Queens
Gate in Long Beach harbor at 12:00 pm. This occasion will take on even
more meaning as Queen Mary 2 carries one of her namesake's original
whistles, the tone of whose deep bass A note can be heard up to ten
miles away. Commemorative festivities will take place onboard both
ships and along the shores of Long Beach.

The public can view the historic meeting at Long Beach's best vantage
points: Bixby Park, Bluff Park, Junipero Beach, Shoreline Aquatic
Park, Shoreline Village and aboard Queen Mary, herself. A
specially-dedicated website has been created for the memorable event,
www.thequeenmarysmeet.com and features up-to-date details on all the
related activities.

Though longer, taller and nearly twice as large as the Queen Mary,
Queen Mary 2 shares a number of venerable "family" traditions with her
namesake, including worldwide fame, royal launching ceremonies,
spectacular maiden calls and a lineage of hosting noted society
figures, celebrities and other luminaries of the day.

The Queen Mary first set sail in May 1936, and was named for and
launched by Her Majesty Queen Mary amidst great fanfare and
celebration. During her more than 30 years at sea, the most celebrated
liner of its time hosted A-list celebrities and society figures,
sailed more than 1,000 transatlantic crossings and played a pivotal
military role between 1940-1946, when she was commissioned to
transport military troops during World War II. After carrying more
than 765,000 service personnel throughout the conflict, Prime Minister
Winston Churchill credited Queen Mary (as well as sister ship Queen
Elizabeth) with ending the war one year earlier than estimated. Today,
the Queen Mary is one of Southern California's most recognizable icons
and continues to educate and entertain visitors from all around the
world, offering tours, exceptional exhibitions, a calendar of
festivals and numerous social and special events year-round.

Both considered the very finest ocean liners of their day, the two
ships offer a range of fascinating similarities and differences. For
example, length-wise Queen Mary 2 is just 113 feet longer than the
Queen Mary, but in terms of gross tonnage, she is nearly twice the
size of her predecessor. In days gone by, salt cod and kippers were
menu highlights -- today, caviar and lobster top the bill of fare. In
addition, the Queen Mary has a dozen decks, but QM2 has 17. Finally,
Queen Mary 2 can carry nearly 600 more passengers than her namesake.

Some things never change, however. Champagne, for example, remains the
beverage of choice for generations of travelers, impeccable White Star
Service(SM) remains a Cunard hallmark, renowned enrichment programs
and leisure offerings are still the primary onboard pursuits and,
whatever the decade, Cunard ocean liners attract the world's most
famous celebrities, including entertainers ranging from Duke Ellington
to Carly Simon.

During the Golden Age of Ocean Travel, the Queen Mary welcomed such
famous personalities as Elizabeth Taylor, Rita Hayworth, Marlene
Dietrich, Cary Grant, Bing Crosby, and Clark Gable. Continuing
Cunard's illustrious heritage of hosting royalty, society luminaries
and famed entertainers, Queen Mary 2 has hosted a variety of notable
guests such as Barbara Walters, Katie Couric, John Cleese, Tina Brown
and Sir Harold Evans, Donald Trump, and Dame Shirley Bassey. Eminent
visitors have included Her Majesty The Queen, His Royal Highness The
Duke of Edinburgh, Her Royal Highness Princess Michael of Kent, Former
President George Bush, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Senator
Hillary Clinton.

Queen Mary 2 is the grandest ocean liner ever built. There are 1,310
suites and cabins available in degrees of style and comfort ranging
from pampered elegance to almost unimaginable luxury in the ship's
famed Grill-level accommodations. Queen Mary 2 brings together
like-minded travelers who relish the Cunard hallmarks of impeccable
White Star Service(SM), fine dining, sophisticated adventure and
legacy of historic voyages and transatlantic travel.

For more information about Cunard, call your travel professional. For
more information about the Queen Mary, call 1-562-499- 1620 or visit
www.queenmary.com.

Cunard Line has operated the most famous ocean liners in the world
since 1840. Cunard vessels have a classic British heritage and include
the legendary Queen Elizabeth 2 and Queen Mary 2. Queen Victoria joins
the fleet in 2007.

Cunard Line is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise Lines. The
exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland
America Line, Princess Cruises, Costa Cruises, Windstar Cruises and
The Yachts of Seabourn. Sharing a passion to please each guest, and a
commitment to quality and value, member lines appeal to a wide range
of lifestyles and budgets. Together they offer exciting and enriching
cruise vacations to the world's most desirable destinations.

For further information contact:

Cunard Line
Jackie Matthews, Cunard Line, (661) 753.1035,
Maria Andriano, Redpoint Marketing PR, (212) 229.0119,

Cindy Adams, Redpoint Marketing PR, (212) 229.0119,

Long Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau
Bob Maguglin, (562) 495.8345,

www.visitlongbeach.com
Cynthia Fontayne, The Fontayne Group, (310) 821.4678,

The Queen Mary
Angela Berrigan, (562) 499.1634,

www.queenmary.com

Old February 7th, 2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:35:14 -0500, Lee Lindquist wrote:

I think more people have wondered if she'd meet her schedule.

Hi Lee,

I spoke to Cunard today as I have clients on this sailing. They said
that she would sail as scheduled. They are swapping the sea day and
the Ensenada day. We will see. :+)

Old February 7th, 2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:35:14 -0500, Lee Lindquist wrote:

I think more people have wondered if she'd meet her schedule.

Hi Lee,

I spoke to Cunard today as I have clients on this sailing. They said
that she would sail as scheduled. They are swapping the sea day and
the Ensenada day. We will see. :+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Ray, we have actually been to Ensenada and were thrilled by the hundreds of
child beggars who followed us around. Since it was more than a decade ago I
don't remember the name of the club we entered and then left because the
music was too loud for my daughter who is hearing impaired.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

(* _ *)

Old February 7th, 2006, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake Ray Goldenberg :

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:35:14 -0500, Lee Lindquist wrote:

I think more people have wondered if she'd meet her schedule.

Hi Lee,

I spoke to Cunard today as I have clients on this sailing. They said
that she would sail as scheduled. They are swapping the sea day and
the Ensenada day. We will see. :+)

Ray, please do not pass out while holding your breath.
--
dillon

Could have been is in the past
Could be is in the future
There is only the now
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "Dick G." dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom :

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:35:14 -0500, Lee Lindquist wrote:

I think more people have wondered if she'd meet her schedule.

Hi Lee,

I spoke to Cunard today as I have clients on this sailing. They said
that she would sail as scheduled. They are swapping the sea day and
the Ensenada day. We will see. :+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Ray, we have actually been to Ensenada and were thrilled by the hundreds of
child beggars who followed us around. Since it was more than a decade ago I
don't remember the name of the club we entered and then left because the
music was too loud for my daughter who is hearing impaired.

"make a blind man see and a crippled man walk.
That's the power of love"

-Hughey Lewis and the News.

Old February 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message

"make a blind man see and a crippled man walk.
That's the power of love"

-Hughey Lewis and the News.
--
dillon

Except that it is "Huey" Lewis

DG

Old February 7th, 2006, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Thus spake "Dick G." dickdotgoldhaber@gmaildotcom :

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
.. .

"make a blind man see and a crippled man walk.
That's the power of love"

-Hughey Lewis and the News.
--
dillon

Except that it is "Huey" Lewis

So I'm old enought to have forgotten, even if I have it on my iPod.

I do remember their video (back when MTV had videos) with Michael J
Fox.

DG