passport needed or not for Caribbean cruise?

Old June 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

Default passport needed or not for Caribbean cruise?

On Jun 16, 10:29*am, Ohioguy wrote:
* *I ended up getting both the Passport and the Passport Card on Monday.
...my wife seems to think we may possibly fly to Europe
or somewhere in 5 or 6 years. *I guess it will be convenient to already
have the passport, if so.

Exactly. Now you have it. And, as others have noted, it's a darn good
piece of ID. I always bring my passport for new jobs, where they need
to both confirm your identity and whether you're a citizen. Standard
procedures require 2 IDs for this, but only 1 if it's a passport.

Mark

Old June 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:10:23 -0700 (PDT), Mark (SF) wrote:

On Jun 16, 10:29*am, Ohioguy wrote:
* *I ended up getting both the Passport and the Passport Card on Monday.
...my wife seems to think we may possibly fly to Europe
or somewhere in 5 or 6 years. *I guess it will be convenient to already
have the passport, if so.

Exactly. Now you have it. And, as others have noted, it's a darn good
piece of ID. I always bring my passport for new jobs, where they need
to both confirm your identity and whether you're a citizen. Standard
procedures require 2 IDs for this, but only 1 if it's a passport.

Mark

Btw, you Mac-made website doesn't render in FF but does in IE(8) That
sir, is funny.
--
Ari's Fun Times!
http://tr.im/hrFG
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake George Leppla :

On 6/13/2010 7:39 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
[Default] Thus spake :

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:36:41 -0500, Dillon PyronOkay, this doesn't
apply anymore, but back around 98 Continental ran a
special. $99 each way Houston to Paris.

Paris, Texas?

Yeah, and then on to Athens and finally Palestine.

You missed Moscow. Population 170 including one cop who can be found
patrolling the one mile of Rt. 59 that lies within his jurisdiction.

"You ain't from around here, are you, boy."

Sigh, actually I won't miss Moscow this weekend. Our travels will
take us through it. At 35 mph.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)
March 1998 - June 2010
What a dog. What a dog!

Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Ohioguy :

I ended up getting both the Passport and the Passport Card on Monday.
I was tempted to just get the Passport Card, but I checked over the
list of countries, and 1 stop in the Caribbean was not on the list.
This probably wouldn't have been a problem, because I'm not likely to go
ashore a lot, but my wife seems to think we may possibly fly to Europe
or somewhere in 5 or 6 years. I guess it will be convenient to already
have the passport, if so.

It actually doesn't matter if you choose to go ashore on whatever
island (too lazy to look). If the ship stops there, you need proper
documentation.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Dillon Pyron wrote:
[Default] Thus spake Ohioguy :

I ended up getting both the Passport and the Passport Card on
Monday.
I was tempted to just get the Passport Card, but I checked over the
list of countries, and 1 stop in the Caribbean was not on the list.
This probably wouldn't have been a problem, because I'm not likely to
go
ashore a lot, but my wife seems to think we may possibly fly to
Europe
or somewhere in 5 or 6 years. I guess it will be convenient to
already
have the passport, if so.

It actually doesn't matter if you choose to go ashore on whatever
island (too lazy to look). If the ship stops there, you need proper
documentation.

Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
not.

--
Charles
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On 2 Jul 2010 19:40:55 GMT, Charles wrote:

Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
not.

Is that true of crew members as well?

Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:17:26 -0700, Jack Hamilton wrote:

On 2 Jul 2010 19:40:55 GMT, Charles wrote:

Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
not.

Is that true of crew members as well?

Absolutely.
--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services
www.cruisequick.com - able to offer some of the lowest prices and best
Old July 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Ari Silverstein :

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:17:26 -0700, Jack Hamilton wrote:

On 2 Jul 2010 19:40:55 GMT, Charles wrote:

Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
not.

Is that true of crew members as well?

Absolutely.

Several years ago we did an inspection of the Carnival Paradise, but
were delayed about an hour because ICE was doing a complete crew
documents check. These are surprise checks. There's some sort of
visa you're supposed to get that's intended for seamen who will not be
in port for more than a certain limited amount of time. They can't
actually leave the port area.

Old July 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:25:35 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

[Default] Thus spake Ari Silverstein :

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:17:26 -0700, Jack Hamilton wrote:

On 2 Jul 2010 19:40:55 GMT, Charles wrote:

Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
not.

Is that true of crew members as well?

Absolutely.

Several years ago we did an inspection of the Carnival Paradise, but
were delayed about an hour because ICE was doing a complete crew
documents check. These are surprise checks. There's some sort of
visa you're supposed to get that's intended for seamen who will not be
in port for more than a certain limited amount of time.

It's a non-immigrating visa.

They can't
actually leave the port area.

Really? Cruise line restriction or visa restriction? What if they have
a valid passport?
--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services
Sign up for special email deals @ www.CruiseQuick.com - able to offer
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Ari Silverstein, C.T.A."
:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:25:35 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

[Default] Thus spake Ari Silverstein :

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:17:26 -0700, Jack Hamilton wrote:

On 2 Jul 2010 19:40:55 GMT, Charles wrote:

Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
not.

Is that true of crew members as well?

Absolutely.

Several years ago we did an inspection of the Carnival Paradise, but
were delayed about an hour because ICE was doing a complete crew
documents check. These are surprise checks. There's some sort of
visa you're supposed to get that's intended for seamen who will not be
in port for more than a certain limited amount of time.

It's a non-immigrating visa.

Not exactly. There are many, many non-immigrating visas that don't
permit one to legally "work" in the US.

They can't
actually leave the port area.

Really? Cruise line restriction or visa restriction? What if they have
a valid passport?

Depends on where they're from. Visa waiver country? No problem, but
then they don't need one in the first place, so the question is moot.

Pakistan, correct. In theory they can't get past security. Practice
is a different story.