Lissabon or Porto?

Old January 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Default Lissabon or Porto?

Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Let is be knownst that on 4 Jan 2007 21:28:36 +0100, mini Mini
writted:

[]
Italian-Wholely irrelevant unless you are an Italian speaker.

Or unless you want to spend time in Albania or some neighboring
********.

It's also useful in parts of Croatia IME, which I wouldn't call a
********! The person we rented a room from in Pula could only speak
Italian (in addition to Croatian of course.) In Mali Losinj, the
proprietor similarly didn't speak English, but I had to use German
instead. In restaurants etc. there, of course, it would be rare to find
someone who didn't speak English, particularly in tourist areas.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

mini Mini wrote:

Practically speaking, you* will likely ofend the Portuguese person you
are speaking to if you as a non-Spanish speaker choose to speak Spanish,
due to socio-political issues. This of course is up to you. But, since we
are very hospitable & tolerant, we will overlook your blunders.
(*"you"-in general, not "you" specifically)

So, for NON Spanish mother tongue visitors the order should be:

From your point of view.

Yes. & I'm Portuguese. You are not.

But he knows everthing better than the others.
And you are corect, spanish should be the last choice to get in
contact with a portuguese, that's what I found out a lot of times
there, not because I did use spanish, but because I did pay attention
to the faces of the persons.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas

Old January 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

mini Mini wrote:

Wolfgang May wrote in
:

mini Mini wrote:
Wow. That's amazing. Usually Portuguese people agree on every single
thing in the universe. I can't believe your colleagues are not in
agreement with me.

So what?
As it is appropriate that you write your opinion here, it is also
appropriate that I report what I have been told by other Portuguese
people.

It was a joke.

I'd say that was pretty clear!

Old January 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
RogerW

No. Generally it's OK if you are Spanish & speak Spanish in Portugal. It

I'm English but I live in Madrid and I'm bilingual English-Spanish. I
spend every weekend in Lisbon with my Portuguese girlfriend and I'm
speaking more and more Portuguese. However, when my Portuguese lets me
down, I use English rather than Spanish and I can assure you it's
appreciated much more by the Portuguese.

We're maybe saying the same thing, but I would go further and say that
the Portuguese would appreciate if the Spanish made an effort and spoke
English rather than simply assuming, rather arrogantly, that everything
they say will be fully understood. Yes, much like the English do when
they travel! ;-)

Roger.

http://www.GoLisbon.com

Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Patrick Page

They are both wonderfl, but only one makes Lisbon an easy choice.
"Volker Hetzer" wrote in message
Hi!
I'm trying to decide where to go for over easter.
I don't speak portugese or spanish at all and have
never been to portugal either.
The type of holiday I'm envisioning is the typical relaxed city holiday.
Getting up late, having a big breakfast, drifting a bit around the city, a
leisurely walk along the port/coast, half a bottle of wine in the evening
where one can watch the sunset, that sort of thing.

What do you think, which city is better for this?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.