Lissabon or Porto?

Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Volker Hetzer

Default Lissabon or Porto?

Hi!
I'm trying to decide where to go for over easter.
I don't speak portugese or spanish at all and have
never been to portugal either.
The type of holiday I'm envisioning is the typical relaxed city holiday.
Getting up late, having a big breakfast, drifting a bit around the city, a
leisurely walk along the port/coast, half a bottle of wine in the evening
where one can watch the sunset, that sort of thing.

What do you think, which city is better for this?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Pod

Hi Volker, maybe this web site can help you find out what cities to go
to. http://www.BookMyHostel.com

Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Volker Hetzer

Pod schrieb:
Hi Volker, maybe this web site can help you find out what cities to go
to. http://www.BookMyHostel.com

Thanks a lot, but I don't think I'm going to have a problem with accommodation.
I am looking for some opinions about the two cities in general.
Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

Lisbon : weather is nicer, lots of sights, nearby are Estoril and Cascais
reachable by a suburban train
You'll try Porto after that.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
pIN-UP pOPE

Volker Hetzer wrote:
Pod schrieb:
Hi Volker, maybe this web site can help you find out what cities to go
to. http://www.BookMyHostel.com

Thanks a lot, but I don't think I'm going to have a problem with accommodation.
I am looking for some opinions about the two cities in general.
Lots of Greetings!
Volker

there is nothing to see in Estoril and Cascais, but Sintra is worth a
trip

Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Volker Hetzer

Nemo schrieb:
Volker Hetzer wrote:
What do you think, which city is better for this?

Barcelona

Maybe next time. :-)

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Volker Hetzer" wrote in message
Hi!
I'm trying to decide where to go for over easter.
I don't speak portugese or spanish at all and have
never been to portugal either.

There are four centuries of links between Portgual and England (latterly the
UK) and lots of Portugese ex-pats communities in Britain. My local newspaper
in the UK even has a regular section in Portugese. You will find that
English is widely spoken in either city.

The type of holiday I'm envisioning is the typical relaxed city holiday.
Getting up late, having a big breakfast, drifting a bit around the city, a
leisurely walk along the port/coast, half a bottle of wine in the evening
where one can watch the sunset, that sort of thing.

What do you think, which city is better for this?

I would go back to Lisbon, but probably not bother again with Oporto.

Colin Bignell