NCL - Pride of America Sinks

Old January 14th, 2004, 12:37 PM
WolfpackFan

Default NCL - Pride of America Sinks

I can't believe that nothing has been posted here about the new Pride of
America partially sinking while being built. I would think this would be
a major cruise related news item.
Old January 14th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:37:16 -0500, WolfpackFan
wrote:

I can't believe that nothing has been posted here about the new Pride of
America partially sinking while being built. I would think this would be
a major cruise related news item.

Post it then.

The Not So Fine Art Of Google
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E29A321E6
Old January 14th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Linda Coffman

Here's the story... http://cruisediva.com/news_week_011504.htm.

Old January 14th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Bobbye

Pride of America sinks
14/1/2004

NCL's newbuilding Pride of America, sank in the early hours of this
morning at Lloyd Werft shipyard in Bremerhaven. The ship, due to be
delivered in April, started to take on water during a heavy storm and
shifted towards a pier. All workers onboard at the time evacuated and
Seatrade Insider understands two persons were slightly injured. The vessel
is currently grounded alongside the pier and listing at 20 degrees. The
lower three decks are under water and engine spaces are flooded. (More
details to follow).

Old January 14th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Cruising Chrissy

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:49:13 -0500, "Bobbye"
wrote:

Pride of America sinks
14/1/2004

NCL's newbuilding Pride of America, sank in the early hours of this
morning at Lloyd Werft shipyard in Bremerhaven. The ship, due to be
delivered in April, started to take on water during a heavy storm and
shifted towards a pier. All workers onboard at the time evacuated and
Seatrade Insider understands two persons were slightly injured. The vessel
is currently grounded alongside the pier and listing at 20 degrees. The
lower three decks are under water and engine spaces are flooded. (More
details to follow).

http://www.lloydwerft.com/e/aktuell/index.html

They ain't talking about it on their website either.

Is this embarrassing or what? She wasn't even at sea yet.

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:47 PM
MarkT

"CupCaked" wrote in message
WolfpackFan wrote:

I can't believe that nothing has been posted here about the new Pride of
America partially sinking while being built. I would think this would be
a major cruise related news item.

Just goes to show how much (little) interest is really being generated
by this project.

Karen, that's a pretty petty answer for a breaking news story (01-14-04).
I'm interested, and I suspect that there are others.

If you had info, why not share it yourself?

Mark T.

Old January 14th, 2004, 06:22 PM

I saw several postings before I saw this one. Perhaps your
newsreader is just slow?

wrote:

I can't believe that nothing has been posted here about the new Pride of
America partially sinking while being built. I would think this would be
a major cruise related news item.

...maybe they can get some sort of refund from Trent Lott.

--
- Lee

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine Becker "As god is my witness
I thought turkeys could fly"
NEVER SEND A FERRET TO DO A WEASEL's JOB --WKRP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Mark O. Polo

Hi Wolfpack Fan,

There certainly is a lot of interest here in Hawaii inasmuch as so many
local people will be working for NCL America. Updates on the sinking of
our Pride can be viewed at:

http://www.ncl.com/news/prideofamerica.htm

Aloha

Old January 14th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Jochen Lippert

WolfpackFan wrote:

I can't believe that nothing has been posted here about the new Pride of
America partially sinking while being built. I would think this would be
a major cruise related news item.

Well, the accident is unfortunate, but "sink" is a bit of an
exaggeration. The water is pretty shallow next to Lloyd Werft's quay.

What's worse: The ship was damaged because it was pressed against the
quay by the storm, one (huge) crane was pushed aside by the ship and
fell onto a building that collapsed partly. You can see a movie (in
german) at this address:

http://demand.radiobremen.de/bb/redi...://www.radiobr
emen.de/tv/bubi/video/ram/140104_02.smil&content=content&media=rm

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q4A135117

What is pretty sure that all of this will cause massive delays, and it
is unsure whether the ship can be delivered on schedule (originally
April 22nd I heard today).

Jochen Lippert

--
No smilies were harmed in the making of this message