Question about carry-on sized luggage.

Old June 7th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Jonathan

Default Question about carry-on sized luggage.

Hi,

As per my post a couple days ago I am planning to buy a travel
backpack. So I am doing some reaseach into what I should buy. It seems
that one of the key things I should be looking for is to keep the size
below the maximum carry-on size for most airlines. However, this will
limit the size of the packs to something on the small size I feel.

How critical is it to be able to carry your pack on the plane?

Carrying your luggage on will elliminate the possibility of your
luggage being lost. But how likely is that to happen?

I haven't travelled a lot in my life. I estimate I have taken about 15
trips in my life where I have travelled by airplane. So that would be
about 30 times where I have checked luggage. I have never had a piece
of luggage missplaced during any of these trips.

So I wonder how critical is to keep my backpack below carry-on size?
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:42 PM
John Doe

So I wonder how critical is to keep my backpack below carry-on size?

Not very. You don't want to overburden yourself, but you do want to carry
enough to be relatively self-sufficient, except for food and water. The amount
is up to you, but airlines do have weight limits for baggage. I always check my
pack, or bag, and also take a small carry on. This contains a toilet kit, meds,
my travel docs, camera/film, underwear, and a change of clothes.

The carry on is usually a small daypack, which also comes in handy when walking
around at your destination. When not needed, it can be put inside your main
pack, or strapped to it.

I've had my checked baggage lost once, while flying domestically (US). What I
had in my daypack kept me going for the day it took them to get my bag to me. I
have never had anything lost when flying overseas. Maybe I have been lucky, but
I have also been prepared.

Hope this helps.
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Todd

Hey:

If it were a few years ago, I would have advised you to, yes, keep
your pack at or below regulation carryon size. However, post 9/11, it
is much less advantageous to do so - because you'll usually have to
check it anyway.

I traveled for years with the same pack that was "about" regulation
carryon size. I never had a problem bringing it on board an airplane,
even when it was clearly overstuffed. This was a convenience for
getting out of the destination airport quicker, of course, and
nullified the chance of lost luggage.

However, post 9/11, airlines have become MUCH more strict about what
you can bring on board. A "regulation" pack that is just a little too
heavy or a little too bulgy is never going to make it past check in
anyway. So, in my opinion, you're going to have to end up checking
most of the time. You might as well embrace the plus side of the
situation and go with a pack that offers a little more room (if you
need it, of course).

And besides, the new regulations have at least eliminated a lot of the
maneuvering and shoving for overhead bin space that used to take place
on nearly every flight I took!

Todd
www.wonderninja.com
Buy and Sell YOUR Personalized Services!
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:36 PM
JimL

(John Doe) wrote in message ...
[...]

I used to follow the idea of carrying on a shave kit and one change of
clothes, but don't bother anymore. I prefer the freedom of lightness,
with a simple shoulder bag or expandable softside briefcase. In 25
years, I have had luggage delayed, never lost. And delayed means it
got to me, at hoptel or home, by that evening. Airlines have
available toiletries boxes for men or women.

I travel to major cities. I figure I can go out and buy essential
clothes if necessary. One time I did so, only to find my delayed
luggage awaiting my return from the store to the hotel the first day.

It is much more comfortable and convenient to have one large back to
check, instead of the former one checked, one carry-on with some
clothes, and a third as a shoulder bag. If it's a business trip,
I'm usually being met, and I travel in a wrinkle-free suit and carry
just one spare shirt and underwear.
They fit in a briefcase along with the business papers that would be
missed in delayed luggage.

I know this veers slightly to the side. But to the back packer, or if
doing a brief side trip from the main hotel, and then returning, roll
up a lightweight pack and put it inside the large checked wheeled
duffel. The maximum size for checked luggage is generous, enough for
three weeks' of clothes for me, and room to bring additional things
back.
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Jonathan

Excellent posts from all that replied. Thanks.

I was leaning towards a pack larger then carry-on already, the replies
to this thread have reinforced my opinion.

Some people have stated that I should have a carry-on pack so that I
don't end up lugging around a huge amount of weight. However, this can
be avoided by simply putting less into the pack. I guess with the
excess room there is the temptation to take more stuff, with a little
self-control and checking the weight and comfort of the load before
leaving this shouldn't be an issue.

-Jonathan