why do people consider san fran northern california?

Old February 16th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Tim923 wrote:

http://www.free-definition.com/U.S.-...rn-States.html

There's the historical South.

A very weird view of the southern US. I've never considered West
Virginia to be in the South. Their view that the South was settled by
English Protestants appears to not permit the inclusion of Maryland,
although I would usually consider Maryland in the South.

While interesting the article is not definitive.

It is certainly not relevant to this thread since any area can have a
southern portion. Growing up I constantly heard references to Southern
Ohio although no one would consider Ohio in the South.

Old February 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Hatunen wrote:

On 15 Feb 2005 16:54:47 -0800, "
wrote:

i live right next to ny state in mass.....actualy i drive up your way 6
or 7 times a year when I go to my house in canada....I dont
know.......maybe its just people that seriously drive and know every
inch of this country that refer to its parts so precisely, but relying
on a location during the civil war is a silly reference point to
use....I would figure on a travel newsgroup, people would have a better
grasp of geography, and not use 100 year old placements....or maybe its
just new england is overeducated

So. Did Maryland have white and colored restrooms up through the
1950s? White and colored drinking fountains?

No but it did have slaves in the 1860s. Baltimore was also so negative
to abolitionists that there was concern for Lincoln's transit to his
inauguration.

In any case Maryland is by definition south of the Mason-Dixon line and
to the East of the mountains which may be enough to make it part of the
South.

Old February 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Pierre_St_Germain wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

It is quite clearly central.....

wouldnt that be a little bit like referring to hampton VA as being in
the northeastern US?

Chuck

Who Cares? To people in Texas, the Entire State of California is another
planet from which emanates ridiculous fads and flaky celebrities. We lump
everyone in the state into one species, and its not human.

I have had that thought about Orange County.

Old February 16th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Hatunen

On 16 Feb 2005 09:06:56 -0800, "
wrote:

"Because if you look at the population distribution most of the
northern
third of the population in the state is in the Sanfrancisco/Sacramento
area."

but san francisco is not in the northern third of the state.......

It is by population.

Old February 16th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:15:48 -0800, Walt Tucker
wrote:

Here in Oregon, I've never heard anyone refer to our neighbor to the
south as "cali".

Oregoners tend to have other names for California.

Methinks it is a bunch of eastern transplants trying to sound hip.

I wonder how it got started. I suspect some song used it.

Old February 16th, 2005, 08:05 PM

pierre......just as most of america thinks texas is a bunch of idiots I
guess......

Chuck

Old February 16th, 2005, 08:05 PM