Antigua Beaches - Recommendations?

Old February 20th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Bill

Default Antigua Beaches - Recommendations?

Any strong opinions on beaches in Antigua -- while I like to snorkel, my
wife likes to bask in the sun & just relax -- we've been looking at Turner's
Beach or Dickinson Bay -the "plan" would be to hire a cab, ask him/her to
show us the island and drop us off at some location - any thoughts would be
appreciated

Bill

Old February 20th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Frank Canning

We visited Antigua last year on a cruise stop. Half-Moon beach on the east
side of the island and Driftwood (or it may be called Deadwood) Beach was
also nice. The best part of Antigua are the amount of beaches to call your
own.

Frank

Old March 4th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Karen Selwyn

We just got home from a cruise that included Antigua, so this answer may
be too late to be useful.

Long Bay Beach would satisfy both you and your wife -- swimming in the
middle of the beach and snorkeling at either end of the beach. The taxi
driver said that although it is on the Atlantic side of the island, good
barrier reefs break the waves. This beach is the one that our cruise
line (Oceania) uses for its beach day excursion. I heard another cruiser
speak enthusiastically about Dickenson's Beach. There's definitely
snorkeling at this beach since the woman spoke about having taken a
lesson. I don't know anything about the wave action.

Turner's Beach, in the Caribbean side, was where we spent the day, and
we just adored the place. Gentle wave action, pretty scenery from the
hills surrounding the cove, a couple of permanently installed beach
structures for shade, lounge chair rentals, a restaurant and bar. For
story value, we met Nathan!

My husband and I fried our legs while tubing on the river in Dominica.
The sunburn was beginning to ease a bit since we had used some
commercially available products, but we still looked pretty scary when
we arrived at the beach. Nathan came running over to us, ripped open a
stalk of fresh aloe and began rubbing our legs.

Nathan turned out to be a local vendor who works Turner's Beach, selling
coconuts, aloe, and conch shells. In the hours we stayed on the beach,
Nathan always approached beachgoers respectfully and asked if they
wanted to buy something. Our appearance must have horrified Nathan
sufficiently that he wasn't going to take "no" for an answer if he
asked. Bottom line: Our sun burn was wonderfully improved by the next
morning and the story of Nathan's behavior makes for a great vacation story.

Karen Selwyn

Old March 4th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Karen Selwyn

Frank Canning wrote:

We visited Antigua last year on a cruise stop. Half-Moon beach on the east
side of the island and Driftwood (or it may be called Deadwood) Beach was
also nice. The best part of Antigua are the amount of beaches to call your
own.

Do you mean Darkwood? If so, that's the beach next door to Turner's
Beach. The wave action seemed comparable on both beaches, but in a quick
driveby, Turner's seemed to have larger shade structures, the beach was
deeper, and the restaurant at Turner's seemed nicer.

Karen Selwyn