Hotel recommendation outside NYC?

Old March 17th, 2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Hotel recommendation outside NYC?

I'm planning my first trip to New York City (driving from Toronto) this
summer. Thinking about staying in a hotel outside NYC (e.g. New Jersey) to
avoid driving into NYC, and use public transportation (subway or train) to
NYC every day. Any recommendation where to stay that is safe and is close
to a subway/train station? TIA.
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Clement wrote:
: I'm planning my first trip to New York City (driving from Toronto) this
: summer. Thinking about staying in a hotel outside NYC (e.g. New Jersey) to
: avoid driving into NYC, and use public transportation (subway or train) to
: NYC every day. Any recommendation where to stay that is safe and is close
: to a subway/train station? TIA.

My recommedation is: rethink your plan. Your drive in/out of NYC is not
that bad (plan to avoid rush hour), and what money you save doesn't make
up for the inconvenience or watsed time. I have done what you plan and
what I suggest and will never stay off Manhatten again.
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

driving into NYC is actualy quite simple.......

just dont do it at rush hour and it is no different than driving
anywhere else......

if nothing else, ditch the car in tarrytown and take the metro in an go
and get your car in a few days when you are ready to leave.....

Chuck

Old March 17th, 2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Clement" wrote in message
I'm planning my first trip to New York City (driving from Toronto) this
summer. Thinking about staying in a hotel outside NYC (e.g. New Jersey) to
avoid driving into NYC, and use public transportation (subway or train) to
NYC every day. Any recommendation where to stay that is safe and is close
to a subway/train station? TIA.

Some years ago we stayed in an Embassy Suites in Seacaucus, NJ. There was a
bus stop just outside and the bus went straight into the NY Port Authority
station.

Marianne

Old March 17th, 2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 01:32:29 GMT, Clement wrote:

I'm planning my first trip to New York City (driving from Toronto) this
summer. Thinking about staying in a hotel outside NYC (e.g. New Jersey) to
avoid driving into NYC, and use public transportation (subway or train) to
NYC every day. Any recommendation where to stay that is safe and is close
to a subway/train station? TIA.

As others have said, it's not a good plan. The main reason for
visiting Manhattan is to be here. Don't short-change yourself by
coming here to experience the commuter life. Try to book a Manhattan
hotel and ask them about storing your car until you are ready to
leave. Commuting will coast you at least $10 per day and take you out
of the city at the time it becomes most interesting.

I don't know what it's like in Toronto but in most of the US they
rolls up the sidewalks after 9 pm (assuming they have sidewalks). New
York is one of the few places that do not.

Brian Wickham
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Clement wrote:
I'm planning my first trip to New York City (driving from Toronto) this
summer. Thinking about staying in a hotel outside NYC (e.g. New Jersey) to
avoid driving into NYC, and use public transportation (subway or train) to
NYC every day. Any recommendation where to stay that is safe and is close
to a subway/train station? TIA.

As others have said, don't do it. Stay in Manhattan. Any hotel
conveniently close to Manhattan will cost as much as Manhattan. Add a
1/2 to 1 1/2 hour trip each way and you use up a lot of your short time
to see NYC. Drive in and leave your car at the large lot on 11th Avenue
at 59th street; it's reasonably priced, and allows long term stays.

Or park in Weehawken, NJ at the NY Waterway ferry terminal ($9 a day)
and take the 5 minute ferry trip to NY at the start of your visit, and
back to NJ at the end. (www.nywaterway.com).

Larry

Old March 18th, 2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Clement wrote:

I'm planning my first trip to New York City (driving from Toronto) this
summer. Thinking about staying in a hotel outside NYC (e.g. New

Jersey) to
avoid driving into NYC, and use public transportation (subway or

train) to
NYC every day. Any recommendation where to stay that is safe and is close
to a subway/train station? TIA.

Here's some NJ motels & prices.

We drove North Bergen once and the motels there looked
respectable enough.

Comfort Suites N Bergen Walking distance to NYC bus $64.99

Howard Johnson N Bergen Walking distance to NYC bus $51-

Super 8 N Bergen Bus to NYC outside door of motel $59.99

Holland Motor Lodge Jersey City Walk to PATH subway $62.99

Econo Lodge Jersey City Walking distance to NYC bus $51.99

Free Parking at all. Prices higher on weekend.

Pick up Traveler Discount Guide on the way
for coupons to get above room prices.

You can probably get it on the QEW at
a rest stop.

If not, you can get it on the NY thruway.

Old March 18th, 2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
Clement wrote:

I'm planning my first trip to New York City (driving from Toronto) this
summer. Thinking about staying in a hotel outside NYC (e.g. New Jersey) to
avoid driving into NYC, and use public transportation (subway or train) to
NYC every day. Any recommendation where to stay that is safe and is close
to a subway/train station? TIA.

If your only interest in staying outside NYC is to avoid driving, you do
have a better option. You can avoid driving into NYC AND stay in NYC.
Just leave your car at one of the nearby rail stations and take the
train to NYC with your luggage. No big deal.
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

not realy hotel related, but when you make the drive down, if you dont
go via the falls/st. catherines, consider taking highway 12 through
upstate NY as opposed to 81......

i drive often from to a summer house way north of toronto and it saves
considerable time....once you bump back into the thruway in utica, it
is like an hour and a half to 87 which is what you need for NY...

Chuck

Old March 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Shawn Hirn wrote in
:

In article ,
Clement wrote:

If your only interest in staying outside NYC is to avoid driving, you
do have a better option. You can avoid driving into NYC AND stay in
NYC. Just leave your car at one of the nearby rail stations and take
the train to NYC with your luggage. No big deal.

Thx for all the info... I am going back to the drawing board to re-plan the
trip from scratch. Thx.