Camper Trailer Versa Campervan

Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Camper Trailer Versa Campervan

Hi All,
My partner and I are looking to do several months travel in the
southern half of Australia, starting early next year. We have been
thinking of using a Campervan or Camper Trailer. I doubt we will need
an off-road type vehicle. I envisage mostly using caravan parks and
camping grounds.

I would appreciate any comments on the major advantages or disavantages
of both types, and issues to be aware of. Also any Links to relevant
web sites would be appreciated.

Cheers, Alan

Old June 4th, 2006, 12:35 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,
My partner and I are looking to do several months travel in the
southern half of Australia, starting early next year. We have been
thinking of using a Campervan or Camper Trailer. I doubt we will need
an off-road type vehicle. I envisage mostly using caravan parks and
camping grounds.

I would appreciate any comments on the major advantages or disavantages
of both types, and issues to be aware of. Also any Links to relevant
web sites would be appreciated.

Cheers, Alan

I assume you are touring Australia from outside the country and do not have
your own vehicle here.
If there are just the two of you and you don't need too much space then a
campervan based on a Toyota Van is probably the best.
Anything larger in the campervan range means that you lose manoeuvrability
and access to smaller carparks is limited. The cost also rises exponentially
the larger the van is.
A camper trailer is great but you need to remember that you are hiring two
vehicles.

On the other hand if you live here and already have a vehicle then I would
recommend the camper trailer option. I own one and think they are great
having done Perth - Eastern States 4 times and also Perth - Broome several
times with one.

Gerrit

Old June 4th, 2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[deleted]

I assume you are touring Australia from outside the country

It looks like he (Alan) lives in Oz:

Which is ayr-56k-102.tpgi.com.au.

OTOH, he could well be a tourist with a dialup ("56k") account.
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:58 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

[deleted]

I assume you are touring Australia from outside the country

It looks like he (Alan) lives in Oz:

Which is ayr-56k-102.tpgi.com.au.

OTOH, he could well be a tourist with a dialup ("56k") account.

OK I'm not so into that sort of thing.

Anyway the second half of my reply applies then. :-)

Gerrit (who likes to cover all bases)

Old June 5th, 2006, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,
My partner and I are looking to do several months travel in the
southern half of Australia, starting early next year. We have been
thinking of using a Campervan or Camper Trailer. I doubt we will need
an off-road type vehicle. I envisage mostly using caravan parks and
camping grounds.

I would appreciate any comments on the major advantages or disavantages
of both types, and issues to be aware of. Also any Links to relevant
web sites would be appreciated.

Cheers, Alan

If you plan on doing a lot of travelling then I'd go the campervan route,
if you intend on travelling to a place and staying a few days then the
camper trailer. The campervan has to be packed up for a trip down
to the pub, whereas the camper trailer can just stay put.

I used to get fed up with the hour of mucking around with a trailer when
driving upto Qld for holidays from Melbourne. Its just what I needed
at the end of a long day driving with a couple of kids demanding to know
when they were getting to Qld. For some reason best known to young
kids, Qld only starts when they can see theme parks on the Gold Coast!!

My wife and I did a 3 month trip in a campervan recently and found it great,
we "wild" camped practically everywhere in some million dollar view
carparks (and a few 10 cent ones!!). Camper trailers limit you to staying
in recognised camping areas or getting a wake up at some odd hours.