Travelling to Venice from UK by car

Old June 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Travelling to Venice from UK by car

c wrote:
Hi everyone,

In August, my family and I are travelling from the UK to Venice. We're
satying overnight at Strasbourg both on the outward and return journeys.

The fastest way in my opinion is:

Strasbourg - Karlruhe - Stuttgart - München - Garmisch-Partenkirchen
(untill here everything on toll free german Autobahn.
Garmisch - Mittenwald - Seeefeld - Zilerberg (untill here well Mainroad,
about 30km)
Then you have the coice:
With austrian toll sticker take autobahn entrance Zirl-Ost to Innsbruck,
at Innsbruck to Brenner.

Only the stretch (15km) between "Zirl Ost" and "Innsbruck Süd" is to be
paid by austrian "Vignette". From "Innsbruck Süd" to former border
"Brennerpass" there is a mandatory toll of 8€ to be paid after crossing
the "Europabrücke". As Europes laws forbid a double pay, the vignette
does not have to be paid for using the Brenner-autobahn from "Innsbruck
Süd" to Italy

To avoid buying a vignette you can take Street 171 from Zirl to
Innsbruck. In Innsbruck look for signs pointing to Brenner. Enter the
Brenner Autobahn at "Innsbruck Süd" again.
-other possibility: take zirl to Axams - Natters - Enter the Brenner
Autobahn at "Innsbruck Süd" again.

Both ways are about 30mins longer the paying 7,60€ for the 10days
vignette and go the 15km by highway. But never try to use the stretch
"Zirl - Innsbruck Süd" without vignette. As Austrian highway officials
(ASFINAG) know, lots of germans try this, therefore the risk of being
caught without vignette is very high and very expensive (150€?).

From Brenner take highway Brenner - Verona - Venezia thats it.
The italian side of Brenner highway has toll as well. The italian stile
is to take a ticket at entrance and pay upon exit. Toll for Brenner -
Venice is about 20€.

Regards

Old June 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Giovanni Drogo" ha scritto nel messaggio
oengr.vans.vg...
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, tile wrote:

I dare you to drive yr car in Piazza san marco and leave it there
parked somewhere..

Nevertheless a few years ago there were some guys who built an armoured
tank in their garage, embarked it on a ferry (they even paid the ticket)
and "invaded" Piazza San Marco and "occupied" the bell tower. :-)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

yes
and there was a Ferrari car in Piazza san marco..
but it arrived there on a boat..

Old June 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 21 Jun 2006 03:50:17 -0700, "nicandal"
wrote:

Jens Arne Maennig wrote:

[car-free,] like all of Europe's cities.

That bit's a joke, right?

It's an in-joke.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

tile wrote:

"Ken Blake" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
tile wrote:

"Jens Arne Maennig" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
c wrote:

In August, my family and I are travelling from the UK to Venice.

BTW: Venice is car-free, like all of Europe's cities.

SCNR

Jens
Venice is car free as there are no streets where cars can go..

That statement is not correct. The Lido is part of Venice, and there
are cars everywhere. And even on the main part of Venice, there
aren't many streets for cars, but there are some.It's possible to
drive from the mainland over the bridge to Venice, and park there.

I've taken a bus (not a vaporetto, the water bus, but one with
wheels) in Venice, and I've there are taxis and buses that can be
taken from the Piazzale Roma.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

when we are talking about Venice... I am assuming we are talking
about the old town.
Sure you can drive as far as Piazzale roma and go there by bus.
and then ??
Park yr car in the parking lot of Piazzale Roma or go to Tronchetto
Parking Lot ??
or go to Venezia Mestre and take the train to Piazzale Roma (
venezia santa lucia train station ) ??

so.. pls.. do not give a false impression.
you can only walk in the Venice that is crowded of Tourists.. or
take a boat or vaporetto.

I dare you to drive yr car in Piazza san marco and leave it there
parked somewhere..

Please note my sentence " And even on the main part of Venice, there aren't
many streets for cars, but there are some." Of course you can't drive in the
Piazza San Marco. My point is that the statement "Venice is car free as
there are no streets where cars can go." is false. If you had said "In the
main part of Venice, there are few cars as there are very few streets where
cars can go" you would have been correct.

Old June 21st, 2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Ken Blake" wrote in message

Please note my sentence " And even on the main part of Venice, there
aren't many streets for cars, but there are some." Of course you can't
drive in the Piazza San Marco. My point is that the statement "Venice is
car free as there are no streets where cars can go." is false. If you had
said "In the main part of Venice, there are few cars as there are very few
streets where cars can go" you would have been correct.

This is the newsgroup version of what I call "debugging casual
conversation." For (almost) all intents and purposes, the original statement
is true and your cavil is misleading.

Marianne

Old June 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Ken Blake ha scritto:

tile wrote:

"Ken Blake" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...

c wrote:

[...]

To be clear Venice Municipality is formed by two different towns Venice
(that is built on some islands) and Mestre (that is built on mainland
at the border of lagoon); this towns are linked up by two bridge (one
for cars and another for train). When you arrived from Mestre to Venice
you find very few streets where you can go by car and park there is
almost impossible and very expensive, so the most logical choice is to
arrive in Mestre by car and after bring a bus or a train to Venice.
After arrived there you can only choose between foots or boat. I hope
to cleared you the situation you will find. If you have any doubt write
me back. I live in Mestre.

Ciao, Lorenzo

Old June 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mimi wrote:

"Ken Blake" wrote in message

Please note my sentence " And even on the main part of Venice, there
aren't many streets for cars, but there are some." Of course you
can't drive in the Piazza San Marco. My point is that the statement
"Venice is car free as there are no streets where cars can go." is
false. If you had said "In the main part of Venice, there are few
cars as there are very few streets where cars can go" you would have
been correct.

This is the newsgroup version of what I call "debugging casual
conversation." For (almost) all intents and purposes, the original
statement is true and your cavil is misleading.

Not at all. The message I replied to was in reply to someone who wants to
drive to Venice from the UK. That message essentially said you can't do
that, because you can't drive in Venice. *That* was the statement that was
misleading. You can't drive very much in Venice, but you can drive *to* it,
and that's what the OP wanted to do.

And note that what you call my "cavil" clearly agreed with the general idea
that there is little traffic on the main part in Venice. At the risk of
repeating myself, let me point out again,that I didn't suggest that one
could drive everywhere, but that there were some streets, so it *is*
possible to drive to it.

Tile made a unequivocal statement that was manifestly false, and likely to
confuse the original poster. I simply corrected it.

Old June 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Last_Lizard_King_1971" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

Ken Blake ha scritto:

tile wrote:

"Ken Blake" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...

c wrote:

[...]

this is what I meant actually

the Venice where tourists go and walk around is for sure cars free
Venice is linked to the mainland by two bridges ( If I am not mistaken
Mussolini built them.. )

One takes you to Piazzale Roma.. and that is the end for you if you have a
car.
the other is for the trains from Venezia Mestre to Venezia Santa Lucia.

Old June 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

tile ha scritto:

"Last_Lizard_King_1971" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

Ken Blake ha scritto:

tile wrote:

"Ken Blake" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...

c wrote:

[...]

Just two mistakes, only one of the bridge was built by mussolini, the
newest, the first was built by Austrians; about car bridge it take not
only to Piazzale Roma, but also to Tronchetto where there is a car
Park.

Ciao, Lorenzo

Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Last_Lizard_King_1971 wrote:

Just two mistakes, only one of the bridge was built by mussolini, the
newest, the first was built by Austrians;

As any italian of a given age should know. Anybody remembers the siege
of 1848 ? "il morbo infuria, il pan ci manca, sul ponte sventola
bandiera bianca" (cholera is raging, bread is missing, there is a white
flag on the bridge)

To be clear Venice Municipality is formed by two different towns Venice
(that is built on some islands) and Mestre (that is built on mainland
at the border of lagoon);

To add cavil to cavil, Mestre and other suburbs like Marghera are built
on the mainland, and are therefore reachable by car. There is also a
belt of islands between the Lagoon and the sea (like Lido, Pellestrina
etc.) which are also part of the Municipality, and where cars can go
(once they get there with a ferry).

Try http://maps.google.it/ and click on the predefined Venezia link to
get an impression !

is a newsreading account used by more persons to