Toronto Star: "U.S.A. okay except for Rochester, of course"

Old October 28th, 2003, 03:10 PM
RocPic.Com

Default Toronto Star: "U.S.A. okay except for Rochester, of course"

Oct. 25, 2003. 08:33 AM

U.S.A. okay except for Rochester, of course

Toronto Star: U.S.A. okay except for Rochester, of course

http://thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Content...t/Article_Type
1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=106703340 8642

For full story click the above link. If the link is dead, search

www.thestar.com for the words "U.S.A. okay" they archive 14 days.

......" didn't realize I was anti-Rochester until I saw another piece in the
Star last week. This one was about the five-storey-high, football-field-long,
$59 million catamaran ferry that has been built to sail back and forth between
Rochester and Cherry Beach.

It will be able to carry 238 vehicles and 775 passengers who can watch movies
in three theatres or make do instead with satellite TV at each seat. Rochester
is rushing to complete a ferry terminal because Rochester is going to die if it
doesn't get our tourist business.

But nobody is doing anything about building a terminal at this end.

Hardly anybody at this end even knows there is going to be ferry service.

I think this is because most of us are like me. And maybe ``anti-Rochester''
isn't precisely how we feel. It's more like ``don't-want-to-go-to-Rochester,''
or ``never-wanted-to-go-to-Rochester,'' or
``wouldn't-even-be-interested-in-going-to-Rochester-if-the-U.S.-invades-and-tri
es-to-force-me-to-at-gunpoint.''

All things considered, I'd rather go to Guantanamo Bay."

ron_m

http://rocpic.com

Rochester NY Weather Web Cams, Photo Archive, etc ...

Old October 28th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Tony

It's funny, but as someone who lives in Rochester (and isn't allowed
into Canada), some of us thought the same thing...why would Canadians
want to travel here? "For the festivals" was one answer. Un huh, can
any Canadian name a festival we have here?

Another wasted ton of money from a corrupt Mayor.
Thanks Johnson, just what we needed.

Oct. 25, 2003. 08:33 AM

Old October 28th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Tony

One more thing,

this may be a bit much, don't ya think?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:10:31 GMT, (RocPic.Com)
wrote:
snip

All things considered, I'd rather go to Guantanamo Bay."

Old October 28th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Tony

Ok, my F*ck up. Sorry, I didn't realize you were quoting the story,

My bad.

Old October 28th, 2003, 05:14 PM
nightwriter

"Tony" wrote in message
Ok, my F*ck up. Sorry, I didn't realize you were quoting the story,

My bad.

that was from the story? i hate when exaggeration is so over-the-top that
it detracts from what the writer was trying to say. it's cheap and dumb.
i'd go to rochester for a day. ferries are fun and our dollar is kicking
butt. on a nice sunny day i'd round up my buddies and go. they definitely
need to advertise though

Old October 28th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Defender of Enormous Manhood

Well, no we aren't building a terminal at this end. Why would we?
The city gave up some land for the American Canadian whatever company (an
american company...don't let the name fool you), but it's up to them to
build the terminal at this end, or it will have no place to dock, offload
and load.
I mean we are not going to invest taxpayer's dollars in a private
corporation's venture? So it's up the the Rochester based company to build
the Termianl at the Toronto end.

And so much for the wilerness at Cherry beach. We don't need that land
developed. Why when you sit out at the point and look towards the Leslie
Street Spit, it looks and feels like you are in Muskoka! So much for that as
far as I can see once the development starts.

I was reading, and I don't recall where, maybe in this newsgroup, but the
interest will be inthe people from Rochester coming here, and saving BIG
dollars on Prescription drugs, so much so that it will more than cover the
fare, and pay for the entertainment to boot. Maybe they should change their
name to Cookedchester? I mean there is a lot in a name, maybe that's half
the turn off. I mean who likes their chesters raw anyways?

I'd go to Cookedchester, but have no inclination to go to Rawchester. But I
might take the feery there and back, without a stop over, just to check out
the boat ride. And what's this dumb, movies and satelite TV in the seats.
The show is the lake view. They did build windows on the damned boat didn't
they? Ah, right, they can charge for the movies and TV. I got it now. Bet
they have a gift shop on board too, and food. But what no ferris wheel? No
roller coaster? I thought the bigger the better, well in NYC and Texas
anyways

Oct. 25, 2003. 08:33 AM

Old October 28th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Tony

Well, it was in quotation marks, so I would assume it was in the
story.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:14:36 GMT, "nightwriter"
wrote:

.. .

Old October 30th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Trudi Marrapodi

I can see why Torontonians would not be falling all over themselves to
visit Rochester...but really, calling it worse than Guantanamo Bay was
ridiculous exaggeration on the part of the journalist.
--
Trudi
"I don't give a rusty hoot about what is conventional thinking."